Supremes: Hobby Lobby & Harris Win

30 Jun 2014 18:33 #21 by FredHayek
RFRA? Didn't Bill Clinton sign that into law? Religious zealot!

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 Jun 2014 21:01 #22 by Something the Dog Said

PrintSmith wrote: That broad brush you are painting with leads you to make numerous errors in your statements. The Greens never, ever, paid for the 4 abortifacients as a matter of corporate policy.

You are also mistaken in your belief that the Greens are forcing their religious beliefs on anyone else. They do not fire any employee who makes the elective decision to take these abortifacients. They do not require attendance at their church of choice by all of their employees. They do not require that their employees financially support their chosen religious institution. They do not require baptism in their faith as a condition of employment. They simply say that if you choose to take an abortifacient, it will be at your own expense, not theirs. They will not financially support, even indirectly, the destruction, or even the potential destruction, of a human life through the use of abortifacients.

The Greens do not oppose all forms of chemical sterilization, they only oppose those that have the potential to destroy a human life through the use of chemicals or devices which are primarily designed to create a miscarriage and thus the destruction of human life. That these 4 abortifacients are primarily designed to act by forcing a miscarriage is not in any way disputed as a matter of science. Thus you are incorrect again when you say that there is no scientific backing for the challenge to being compelled using the force of government to be party to the abortions that would result from the use of the compounds and devices.

And, for the record, nearly 90% of corporations in the Union are "closely held" ones. These are the small businesses that are the major employers in the Union. Large publicly traded corporations must still genuflect before the federal government, but this decision frees the vast majority of corporations from the federal government using force to obtain compliance to their dictates.

The RFRA does not need to specifically mention corporations to apply to them. The court has long upheld the decision that the members of a corporation do not surrender their rights by joining the corporation. A corporation is a group of individuals who jointly own property. Because every member of the corporation cannot be held personally liable for the individual acts of every other member of the corporation, which is what limits their liability to the assets of the corporation only, changes this reality not one smidgen. There is not a single argument to be made that all the members of a corporation should be personally liable for the actions of every other member of the corporation. There is not a single argument that can be supported by reason by which a member of the corporation should have their personal assets on the line should another member of the corporation act in a manner that they alone are responsible for. Were you and I to form a corporation, there is not a single reason why my personal assets should be on the line should you go off the deep end and shoot up a theater for instance. Absent the limits on the liability that correctly apply to a corporation, my personal assets would be subject to confiscation for your actions outside of the corporation because both of us are members. If you were to do such a deed it might be the end of the corporation because of your actions and the financial interest you had in the corporation, but my personal assets are properly off the table. That is why the law limits the financial liability of the members to the assets of the corporation. To suggest otherwise is, unsurprisingly, another of your disingenuous arguments that is wholly without merit.

Yet once again Printsmith smears me in an attempt to cover that he is either deliberately lying or is so inept in his factfinding to be misleading. The Greens admitted in their complaint that their insurance coverage for their employees for years included Plan B and Ella, two of the contraceptives that they now claim would violate their religious beliefs if they complied with the mandate that other for profit corporations must include. The very definition of hypocrisy.

Printsmith claims that 90% of all corporations are closely held and that this decision "frees" them from the mandate. What he misleadingly fails to mention is that small corporations do not have to comply with the ACA mandate and he even admits that most closely held corporations are small family owned. Very few large companies meet the definition of closely held and their competitors still fall within the confines of the mandate. But of course Printsmith fails to mention this.

Printsmith claims that all corporations are owned by individuals. Wrong. Most corporations are owned by institutional investors, mutual funds, retirement funds, even domestic and foreign governments.

Printsmith claims that this mandate would require individuals to lose their religious beliefs if they invest in a corporation. Ridiculous. It is whether or not individuals can use corporations to enforce their religous beliefs on their employees and avoid government regulations that apply to large for profit corporations.

Printstmith then goes off on a ad hoc ramble about corporations and their ability to shield investors from personal liablity. That is not what is at issue here. It is whether or not a large for profit corporation should be able to claim religious beliefs in order to avoid complying with corporate regulations.

Printsmith fails to address the issues as to whether large corporations that are closely held should be able to prevent insurance coverage to their employees on such "beliefs" no transfusions (Jehovah Witnesses), maternity benefits for unwed mothers (Southern Baptists), antidepressants (Scientologists), medical products derived from pigs (Muslim), and on and on. Or how about closely held corporations owned by members of White Supremacy churches and their ability to fire employees who cohabit with individuals of other ancestries. Or the myriad other potential actions in the name of their personal religious beliefs that owners of closely held corporations might decide to impose on their employees. As Scalia had stated in his earlier opinon upholding bans on indivdualsclaiming religious exemptions from government regulations before he completely flip flopped in this case:

"The rule respondents favor would open the prospect of constitutionally required religious exemptions from civic obligations of almost every conceivable kind—ranging from compulsory military service to the payment of taxes to health and safety regulation such as manslaughter and child neglect laws, compulsory vaccination laws, drug laws, and traffic laws; to social welfare legislation such as minimum wage laws, child labor laws, animal cruelty laws, environmental protection laws, and laws providing for equality of opportunity for the races."

What is particularly ironic about this decision is that these "beliefs" do not have to be founded in fact, only on their particular "beliefs". Alito admitted as much in his opinion. So the fact that IUDs are not so called "abortifactants" but are factually contraceptives in preventing fertilization does not matter, the only thing that matters is the Greens belief that they are abortifactants.

It is very telling that this decision by five Roman Catholic men is opposed by most American citizens and by most christian organizations.

You can keep trying to smear me, but maybe for once you should try to get your facts correct before you attack me personally in this forum.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

01 Jul 2014 10:29 #23 by FredHayek
Home Depot, 5-4 Controversial!
ACA Decision 5-4, it is the Law of the Land, get over it! :beach:

01 Jul 2014 11:15 #24 by Conan
Where do you see that PrintSMith is "smearing" you and attacking you personally? All I see is him/her saying "you are mistaken". Do you consider that "smearing"?

01 Jul 2014 15:14 #25 by homeagain
OF COURSE, the decision was VERY narrow...AND it was split along GENDER lines....this will open up a
huge case load and the dockets will be toast. JMO

I am SO elated that I am not of child-bearing age...the control of MY reproductive choices were taken
into consideration when I was 26 and I made ABSOLUTELY sure that MY choice was the ONLY choice to be made.

40 or so years ago THAT was pretty much UNheard of....sterilization on a 26 year old female.

02 Jul 2014 15:42 #26 by FredHayek
Luntz: Supreme Court has its lowest polling in 30 years, only 40%. People upset about the conservative majority and Hobby Lobby? Combined with people upset the John Roberts gave ACA a thumbs up?

05 Jul 2014 11:09 - 05 Jul 2014 11:09 #27 by ScienceChic

Something the Dog Said wrote: <snip> My opinion is first that it is wrongly decided. The purpose of forming a corporation is to remove personal liability from the owners to protect their personal assets. If you are not going to be personal liable for the operation of the corporation, then you should not be imposing personal beliefs on the corporation itself. A few posters here forget that the 1st amendment not only protects the right of the individual of free exercise of religion, it also protects the individual from the imposition of the religion by others. Here the owners, while taking advantage of protecting themselves from personal liability by forming a corporation to hide behind, they are using that corporation to impose their religious beliefs on their employees. <snip>

This right here is an important observation, and the one that will have the biggest unintended consequence that can bring the reverse of this awful decision. The corporate veil has now been pierced by the Supreme Court of the United States of America. Anyone who feels wronged by a company can now sue the individual owners of that company, not just the corporation itself, for personal damages because the owners of that company can impose their own personal beliefs on others through that corporation.

The next scary thing -
When Corporations Become Indistinguishable from Churches, Government Isn’t Far Behind
Posted by: Jim Wright
July 4, 2014

The problem with claiming that Hobby Lobby is attempting to force their religion upon their employees specifically by denying them any access to birth control is that you not only end up vilifying the company for the wrong reasons, but more importantly this kind of hyperbolic rage hides a much more disturbing implication.

Unmentioned in the majority opinion, missing from Justice Ginsberg’s scathing dissent, lost among the Left’s towering outrage and the Right’s smug self-righteousness, it seems to have gone by unnoticed, that small ominous implication.

By essentially agreeing with the Green family that Plan-B, Ella, and IUDs are in point of fact abortifacients, despite the fact that they are not medically classified as such, the Supreme Court of the United States has done far more than rule on women’s health care, they’ve ruled to settle the philosophical question of when life begins.

Or rather, they’ve allowed corporations to decide.

Not people. Not the court. Not even the government. Corporations.

And don’t think corporate America won’t notice.

And don’t think religion won’t notice.

When corporations become indistinguishable from churches, you can bet government isn’t far behind.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

05 Jul 2014 17:52 #28 by Mary Scott
I think this decision has opened a huge can of worms but -

The problem with claiming that Hobby Lobby is attempting to force their religion upon their employees specifically by denying them any access to birth control ...

That statement is just flat wrong. And don't forget -

The high court's decision in the Hobby Lobby case refocused attention on the Religious Freedom Restoration Act that passed Congress overwhelmingly in 1993, with the support of some lawmakers still serving in both the House and Senate. The statute requires federal laws to accommodate individuals' religious beliefs unless there is a compelling interest at stake that can't be attained through other means.

online.wsj.com/articles/supreme-courts-h...eedom-law-1404155510

Someone can't just make a decree - thou shall supply all means of birth control no matter what you believe - and override a law that is on the books. Clearly there are other means available to attain the methods that Hobby Lobby didn't like. Planned Parenthood comes to mind.

Better get to work repealing, or modifying, the Religious Freedom Restoration Act before this gets out of hand. And I think it will.

05 Jul 2014 20:03 #29 by Ashley
It is a very specific ruling. SCOTUS will have to agree to hear any other cases, or can of worms, and they may choose not to.

SC I don't see where the corporate veil has been pierced. Do you have specific links that might clarify this. Thanks.

07 Jul 2014 13:26 #30 by ScienceChic
Sorry the delay in replying Ashley, I was out of town last weekend and have been trying to catch up with everything this morning.

I do not have any specific court case examples to cite in regards to this topic. All is I know is how easy it is to pierce the corporate veil based on personal experience. It seems obvious to me at least, and feel free to disagree, that this ruling affords what should be individual rights to corporate entities - no company should ever have the right to incorporate "religious beliefs" in their service - they are not people. Based on this case, the Denver baker who was ruled he was in the wrong refusing service to a gay couple should be over-turned. Is that right? I personally think he can be homophobic if he wants in his personal life, but his company must provide equally to all, no discrimination allowed. If companies can now operate based on their individual owners beliefs to avoid the law, then there is no corporate veil.

The Supreme Court has already asked lower courts to review 6 cases based on this ruling. Some details are provided in that article I linked above. I don't think it's a stretch to say that corporations are going to take this ruling and attempt to expand upon it - our history is littered with additional rulings that build upon previous ones - just look at how the anti-abortion movement keeps trying to limit one aspect of abortions (late term) or pass "personhood amendments", knowing that it chips away at Roe vs Wade.

As was specifically stated in Jim Wright's article, the true heart of this matter is that corporations now get to decide what legal abortion is and isn't. And maybe this is a fundamental difference between liberals and conservatives and we'll never agree, but I trust corporations far less than I do our government for the simple reason that, corrupt as our government currently seems to be, at least it has built-in checks and balances and We The People have the means to correct that (though whether or not we will exercise that option is another matter entirely). Whereas, we do not have any recourse with any corporations other than lawsuits. What is disturbing to me is that our country's history is littered with corporations abusing their power, anti-trust laws having to be established and enforced, still to this day, and yet the courts seem to be upholding the Constitution in favor of corporations - NOT The People it was meant to serve.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds