Supremes: Hobby Lobby & Harris Win

30 Jun 2014 08:37 #1 by FredHayek
Closely held companies don't have to provide birth control to their employees.
Birth control isn't banned. Employees will just have to pay for it themselves or go to work for employers who will provide "free" birth control.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 Jun 2014 09:09 #2 by Blazer Bob
"One small step for man, one giant..."

30 Jun 2014 12:50 #3 by Cathy_Lee

FredHayek wrote: Closely held companies don't have to provide birth control to their employees.
Birth control isn't banned. Employees will just have to pay for it themselves or go to work for employers who will provide "free" birth control.

I don't know about you, but my birth control isn't free. It's covered by my health insurance since it requires a doctor's checkup to get. It's also something I take on a daily basis and will until I stop ovulating.

So what do you and your wife do for birth control, Fred? Some of you guys seem to think it's only used by single women.

30 Jun 2014 13:39 #4 by FredHayek
That is why I put quotes around free. You are paying for it with your health insurance premiums. So if Hobby Lobby isn't including "Plan B" under their plan, you are probably paying less and buy it for $16 from the pharmacy.

My birth control? Condoms I paid for until I wa 30, and a vasectomy after that. For the insurance company and employer, it was probably lots cheaper for my office visit than one birth.

30 Jun 2014 13:53 #5 by Cathy_Lee
You really have no conception of how birth control works, do you?

Plan B? Are you advocating its use every time a woman has sex? Get real. It's an emergency contraceptive.

I strongly disagree with the Supreme Court. Corporations, companies or closely-held companies were never mentioned in the Constitution, that I am aware of.

30 Jun 2014 13:58 #6 by JMC
Just wait until Muslim business owners realize they are exempt from our laws
be careful what we wish for.

30 Jun 2014 14:00 #7 by Mary Scott
This ruling is not about preventive birth control, it is about those that prevent the implantation of a fertilized egg.

Hobby Lobby and Conestoga Wood Specialities both refused to provide employee converge for four of the 20 contraceptive methods approved by the FDA, specifically those that prevent uterine implantation of a fertilized egg, such as hormonal contraceptives and intrauterine devices.

www.forbes.com/sites/davidkroll/2014/06/...rage-of-other-drugs/

Of which Plan B is one.

30 Jun 2014 14:19 #8 by FredHayek

Cathy_Lee wrote: You really have no conception of how birth control works, do you?

Plan B? Are you advocating its use every time a woman has sex? Get real. It's an emergency contraceptive.

I strongly disagree with the Supreme Court. Corporations, companies or closely-held companies were never mentioned in the Constitution, that I am aware of.

:lol: You do know that Hobby Lobby is still providing most forms of birth control to their employees? I can understand your confusion, many left wing news media refuses to cover this part of the story.

30 Jun 2014 14:25 #9 by PrintSmith

Cathy_Lee wrote:

FredHayek wrote: Closely held companies don't have to provide birth control to their employees.

I don't know about you, but my birth control isn't free. It's covered by my health insurance since it requires a doctor's checkup to get. It's also something I take on a daily basis and will until I stop ovulating.

So what do you and your wife do for birth control, Fred? Some of you guys seem to think it's only used by single women.

And if you and your husband wish to elect (key word there) to chemically sterilize yourselves you are certainly free to do that - but you cannot require someone else to violate their religious principles to provide you that option. That's pretty straightforward and logical, isn't it? HobbyLobby and Harris weren't saying you shouldn't have access to abortifacients, drugs and devices which induce a miscarriage, they simply refuse, for religious reasons, to help you acquire them and assist you in your effort to destroy a human life. And, rightfully, they maintain that the federal government may not compel them to violate those religious principles either. After all, one of the central premises under which this Union was founded was the right of every individual to worship according to their conscience instead of the government's.

30 Jun 2014 14:31 #10 by PrintSmith

fly off the handle wrote: Just wait until Muslim business owners realize they are exempt from our laws
be careful what we wish for.

There are certain laws the federal government is not delegated the power to enact, and compelling one to violate their religious beliefs falls within that category. The owners of HobbyLobby feel that abortifacients are immoral. You don't have to share that belief, you just can't force your beliefs onto them if you don't.

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds