How did things get this bad? Polarization, dysfunction and the collapse of

13 Aug 2014 15:47 #11 by swansei
From the Declaration of Independence: "And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor".

So does it take another revolution to move back to these principles, is that what we are waiting for or will we be able to make changes within the established Congress?

"There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation... One is by sword...The other is by debt." John Adams 1826.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Aug 2014 16:51 #12 by homeagain
Short answer....YES, History has shown that things ONLY change when the collective become one mindset
and apply pressure....

13 Aug 2014 19:29 #13 by swansei
Any chance of it happening any time soon?

"There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation... One is by sword...The other is by debt." John Adams 1826.

15 Aug 2014 08:01 #14 by HEARTLESS
As much as I want to see real change, as in back to what made this the greatest nation on earth, the coming revolution will put Americans against each other to the death of many. It should not happen, but laziness by the voters has allowed the greedy ruling elected to nearly ruin our country. Our system of government, a representative republic with three branches constrained by the US Constitution and Bill of Rights works when we the people enforce it against the elected tyrants. WTSHTF remember to focus on the problem, criminals and those that put us here.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

15 Aug 2014 12:01 #15 by ScienceChic
Okay, not to be snarky at all, but sincerely ask, did any of you read the article in the OP? It made the points that some of you have discussed that lobbyists, pork projects, rigging elections, etc is nothing new - it's been around our entire history. The difference is, "what's different about this time in history?" And the author put forth a very compelling argument for what the simple breakdown is. My question is: Do you agree, and if so, how does it get fixed?

HEARTLESS wrote: When society doesn't believe in God or some type of afterlife, the thought is what you said because there are no consequences.

Heartless, I disagree that one must believe in an afterlife in order to live an honorable life now (and that statement holds up in the mere fact that our jails would be filled with atheists only if that were the case and it's not. Atheists and agnostics are no more likely to commit a crime than a Christian or other religious-identifying person is). As an agnostic, I am MORE concerned with treating others with compassion and respect because the consequences are felt now, not in the next life.

Rick wrote: There was a time when we did expect our leaders to blaze a path, because we had leaders who were capable of putting country before ideology. We had leaders who didn't spend most of their time campaigning for themselves and for their party. We had leaders who did not vilify their opponents by calling them "the enemy", "terrorists", or "hostage takers". We had presidents that didn't pit the people against each other by race, gender, and economic class.

Oh hell yeah we did! Check the history books and how nasty the campaigns used to get. That's nothing new.

Rick wrote: If we can't expect, or even demand that our leaders put the country first

And I'd wager to bet you that every last congressman and woman would righteously proclaim that they "put country first". They'd argue until they are blue in the face to justify their choices and actions, votes, and pet projects about how it helps this nation. How pointing out how badly the other side is working is their duty to their constituents. There is no "demanding" people change when they have no incentive or motivation to do so otherwise. The point of the article I posted was that it provided a possible solution, whether it is one that can be implemented, and what the cons of it would be, are up for discussion.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

15 Aug 2014 12:21 #16 by HEARTLESS
Treating others with compassion and respect misses the point entirely. If you will be held responsible for your actions, think theft, rape, murder, etc., beyond the world we know, people may reconsider the choices they make.
And the difference between now and previous times in history is related to living with no consequences, possibly due to no belief beyond this life.

15 Aug 2014 12:30 #17 by FredHayek
;) Or maybe things aren't as bad as the news makes us believe? Crime is down, lifespans are up, billions of people in the world have risen above subsistence living.

Polarization and dysfunction? Maybe those are good things, people on both sides remaining passionate about trying to make America better, they just believe it will be fixed by different methods. Anyone else get worried when both parties are working together well?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

15 Aug 2014 12:47 #18 by HEARTLESS
Let me try this from a different approach. If you believe in the rise of radical Islamic beliefs vs the apparent decrease in our nation as a "unified predominantly Christian nation," as viewed by other nations, why would we appear so weak for terrorist actions? I believe they are related. I know you won't accept the section between " marks, but that is how we were viewed. Now we have many apparent weaknesses that make us more open to foreign attacks.

15 Aug 2014 13:09 #19 by RenegadeCJ
I think 2 things would fix a lot in DC.

1) Term limits
2) Get rid of congressional offices in DC. Make them stay at home, and only visit there for a couple weeks a year. Everything else could be done over the internet. Lobbyists would have a lot harder time influencing when they have to travel to 50 states to do it.

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

15 Aug 2014 13:34 #20 by HEARTLESS
RenegadeCJ those are just a start, how about drastically reducing the pension/retirement wealth creation system for government officials?

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds