Do you COEXIST?

17 Mar 2015 19:16 #11 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Do you COEXIST?

LOL wrote: I don't even bother to try to understand others whacky political viewpoints, I just don't care, and it's a waste of time. Live and let live, I still get along with most everyone and anyone in real life. I never hold it against them, even if they are Looney to the Max. I'd still help them change a flat tire or hold the door open.

I guess I'm different in that I actually do care about the viewpoints I think are wacky... the thought process interests me. I just can't stand it when I start a thread about a topic I'm interested in and someone derails it by just trying to piss people off and not debating the topic. I know it's because they have nothing of substance to counter with, but it's still frustrating that the thread gets highjacked by a jackass.

I like this place and think it has a chance to be something different... we'll see how it goes. I'd love to see more liberal viewpoints willing to debate substance and to defend the current administration instead of just attacking when they can't.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Mar 2015 19:28 #12 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic Do you COEXIST?
Well Rick, I like ya. But I don't think anyone should have to defend the current admin., nor should I have to defend any past admin. What you rarely see is any independent thinkers outside the box, using any logic or common sense or admitting when bad policy is made on either side. Most are ready to line up and defend their "guy".

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

17 Mar 2015 20:10 #13 by Rick

LOL wrote: Well Rick, I like ya. But I don't think anyone should have to defend the current admin., nor should I have to defend any past admin. What you rarely see is any independent thinkers outside the box, using any logic or common sense or admitting when bad policy is made on either side. Most are ready to line up and defend their "guy".

So basically you're saying that there are few if any Democrats that agree with Obama's policies and decisions? I think you're wrong, especially since there's a big Elizabeth Warren crowd that would like to see Obama's direction continued on steroids.

Bush didn't do exactly what I wanted but there were a lot of his decisions I would have defended because they made sense to me and I'm not afraid to admit that.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

18 Mar 2015 09:55 #14 by PrintSmith
Replied by PrintSmith on topic Do you COEXIST?

Rick wrote: I just can't stand it when I start a thread about a topic I'm interested in and someone derails it by just trying to piss people off and not debating the topic. I know it's because they have nothing of substance to counter with, but it's still frustrating that the thread gets highjacked by a jackass.

The secret is in remembering Alinsky's rule regarding ridicule being man's most potent weapon because there is no defense against it, it's irrational and it's infuriating. If you let it infuriate you then you are playing into their hands and allowing the strategy to succeed. Don't get mad, don't get even, simply give the reply all the consideration and attention it is due, which is none, and move forward. Nothing will make an irrational person crazier than someone remaining rational despite their best efforts to illicit other behavior. When they see that acting out isn't getting them the desired attention one of two things will happen - they will cease acting out and engage on a rational basis or they will cease participating at all. Patience is the wind and the water against the mountain - it eventually prevails and lays flat even the tallest and craggiest of peaks.

18 Mar 2015 10:17 #15 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Do you COEXIST?
It is a very dull forum with posters who only have the same viewpoint, so I like to coexist. :paddycheers

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

18 Mar 2015 11:36 #16 by Rick

PrintSmith wrote:

Rick wrote: I just can't stand it when I start a thread about a topic I'm interested in and someone derails it by just trying to piss people off and not debating the topic. I know it's because they have nothing of substance to counter with, but it's still frustrating that the thread gets highjacked by a jackass.

The secret is in remembering Alinsky's rule regarding ridicule being man's most potent weapon because there is no defense against it, it's irrational and it's infuriating. If you let it infuriate you then you are playing into their hands and allowing the strategy to succeed. Don't get mad, don't get even, simply give the reply all the consideration and attention it is due, which is none, and move forward. Nothing will make an irrational person crazier than someone remaining rational despite their best efforts to illicit other behavior. When they see that acting out isn't getting them the desired attention one of two things will happen - they will cease acting out and engage on a rational basis or they will cease participating at all. Patience is the wind and the water against the mountain - it eventually prevails and lays flat even the tallest and craggiest of peaks.

Well PS I've been dealing with the name callers and thread derailers for a long time. I guess the point I've failed to make is that it would be nice to see new people jump into the discussions instead of just the same people that have been posting for years. Maybe nobody else is reading this stuff, but the view counter makes me think there is. Not being accustom to the usual attacks, I'd imagine quite a few folks prefer to just watch and not join in with their opinions. I was just testing the water to see if it's possible to attract those people to a board that is more about debate than it is about hate. Whether or not that is possible, I do like this place a lot better since the divisive elements have moved on. So if anyone new, or old, wants to challenge my views on anything, I'm just saying there won't be any mud slinging from me anymore. And for the record, actually prefer to read more opinions that differ with mine so that I have someone to challenge... otherwise, like Fred said, it becomes boring.

George Orwell

18 Mar 2015 12:28 #17 by ComputerBreath
Replied by ComputerBreath on topic Do you COEXIST?
I co-exist. Rarely, though, will you see me comment or give my point of view on anything political. For several reasons: 1) As a retired member of our military, it has been ingrained in me not to say anything "bad" about our Commander in Chief...and a lot of these discussions denigrate him, his family, his doing of the job, his words, or they flat call him names and say what a horrible job he is doing, but there are a lot of four-letter words used to describe the job. No need for that.
2) Most people I've known to want to have a discussion regarding their viewpoint of politics have very set opinions and they are not interested in learning any other viewpoints or in having a debate. They just want their viewpoints let out into the world and will defend them vociferously and sometimes viciously. I'm not interested in this type of "discussion". To me that is one person pontificating.
3) I heard the famous saying "Never discuss politics & religion" probably when I was in high school. I always wondered why, then after I joined the military, where these are discussed a lot and with respect, was part of a discussion between a military member and a civilian about politics...it quickly turned into an almost physical fight, with neither party changing their viewpoint or conceding or even acknowledging that it was OK to have a different viewpoint then theirs, and that is when I realized why the saying was said.

I do like a good debate, especially one where I will learn something or where I will think about what was said. But, it is rare where I will debate anything regarding politics. Do I believe that everything every sitting President of the United States has done is precious and above debate? Nope. Do I believe that no President of the United States has ever done anything wrong? Nope. Do I believe that every elected official is working for the good of the people? That is what they believer...but beliefs differ from individual to individual so as far as I'm concerned all politicians are "working for the people". Do I believe that our political system is broken? Absolutely--I was stationed with a guy who was leaving the service to become a lobbyist in D.C.--I listened to what he had to say and was astounded at the absolute ridiculousness of the lobbys.

Will someone get me to change my mind about a candidate or a subject? Sure--if you show me why you believe what you believe. Will I dislike you if your viewpoint differs from mine? Nope. Will I dislike you if you are adamantly certain that everything you believe is right and if what I believe differs from you then I am wrong? I'll probably not give you the chance for me to like you--I'll walk away.

There are very few subjects that I am absolutely, without-a-doubt unwilling to change my mind about. But you will never know that if you are a jackass and don't listen or call names or use four-letter words to try to get your point across.

If I see a new subject regarding politicians or politics and the subject line is calling a politician a name or denigrating the subject in some way, I'll avoid it like the plague.

I do not look at controversial topics or topics that differ from my normal viewpoint as a challenge. I look at them as a learning experience.

18 Mar 2015 22:01 #18 by gmule
Replied by gmule on topic Do you COEXIST?
I think that we all can coexist as long as we don't talk about religion or politics :whistle:
All kidding aside some people are bullies and others get enjoyment out of trying to make others angry. I participate when I have the time and I try not to get sucked into the negative conversations.

26 Mar 2015 20:24 #19 by You Know Who
Replied by You Know Who on topic Do you COEXIST?
You just don't get it, you just don't understand people- You and CG desperately want new posters but you have no clue on how to get them because you don't get it. You start what you think are interesting topics and stupid contests and whatnot, but people don't give a crap about that. People are like pack animals, they wanna gang up on someone, they like a common enemy, they wanna hate and humiliate someone else because it makes them feel better about themselves... just like in recess in elementary school.

Over the years i've collected negative personality traits, and in a few days I could have 30-50 new posters here. All I have to do is go to another board and make 30 to 50 people loath me, it's real easy for me, then I'd drop a link back to this board- But that bores me so i'm not going to do it- Making this a happy place has made it the most boring place on earth, because you don't get it, you don't understand people

And BTW- Simple trolling won't work either-

Now..If you wanna hire me, and pay me money...I'm willing to listen, but you better make a good first offer- i'm not playin around, and quite frankly- I got better things to do

26 Mar 2015 22:23 #20 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Do you COEXIST?
Oh dear god in heaven help us all, HE's back - I'd recognize that avatar and those replies/topics anywhere. Lovely to see you again VL, you just missed us too much to stay away didn't you. ;)

No, we do not "desperately" want new posters - we want people to join when they find value and interest in participating here. I don't know about others, but I know I post when there's something of interest that I would like to discuss and I am happy if others jump in. If they don't then that's fine too, at least I have the topic saved if I ever want to find it again.

Thank you for the offer, but seriously no thanks - it works the other way you know, people pay MMT to have a forum. How much you willing to pony up? For you, a 'special' discount - $1,000/week. That should only be one sports bet for you, right? :biggrin:

Yes, people love a common enemy, but I don't want people here who just follow you back from somewhere else to beat you up here - those kinds of posters wouldn't care about this site and making it a better place to be, they'd only have their agenda of focusing on running you off (that plan didn't work so well with the .net boys did it? Though I have to say, you certainly made a lasting impression with them - they still bring you up from time to time) - that may work for short-term, but it's not the way to build a strong, viable, lasting business and of no interest to me at all. This isn't fairy land where everything is happy sunshine and roses all the time, but it is a site that has forums where there are various levels of decorum and respect to be observed...and forums where there's not. As long as you keep it where it belongs, we've got no problems!

I'm going to challenge you to try something different. You say you are bored...how about collecting 30-50 useful traits, and work on having some decent conversations (of which I know you are capable when you can refrain from the easy way out), like you would over a beer on your deck?

Guys, let's see if VL is up to the challenge. If he resorts to his usual M.O., you can have at 'im in the Ring and the Pumpkin Carving contest is fair game; until then, let's hold off on dredging up the past and see if he can bring his A game.

The ball's in your court Darlin'.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds