How the politicization of work ethic is failing

08 Jun 2015 08:52 #1 by Blazer Bob
legalinsurrection.com/2015/06/mike-rowe-...g-about-poor-people/

"On the rare occasion Mike Rowe of Dirty Jobs fame wanders into quasi-political discourse, he shares a perspective severely lacking in this overly-politicized world — common sense observation. Usually, these observations are served up via Rowe’s mail bag.

Sunday afternoon, Rowe responded to a message from Craig P.

Craig wrote:

Your constant harping on “work ethic” is growing tiresome. Just because someone’s poor doesn’t mean they’re lazy. The unemployed want to work! And many of those who can’t find work today, didn’t have the benefit of growing up with parents like yours. How can you expect someone with no role model to qualify for one of your scholarships or sign your silly “Sweat Pledge?” Rather than accusing people of not having a work-ethic, why not drop the right-wing propaganda and help them develop one?

Mr. P. makes several good points, namely — despite the oft interneted mantra, just because someone’s poor certainly doesn’t mean they’re lazy.

In response to Mr. P., Rowe pointed out what’s probably the single most productive observation I’ve seen on the matter (emphasis added):

Hi Craig, and Happy Sunday!
I’m afraid you’ve overestimated the reach of my foundation, as well as my ability to motivate people I’ve never met. For the record, I don’t believe all poor people are lazy, any more than I believe all rich people are greedy. But I can understand why so many do.

Everyday on the news, liberal pundits and politicians portray the wealthy as greedy, while conservative pundits and politicians portray the poor as lazy. Democrats have become so good at denouncing greed, Republicans now defend it. And Republicans are so good at condemning laziness, Democrats are now denying it even exists. It’s a never ending dance that gets more contorted by the day."...

mikerowe.com/2015/06/workethic/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Jun 2015 09:46 #2 by FredHayek
It is interesting to see the heat Mike Rowe is taking. Who is underestimating the poor? The left. They want to make excuses, they think the poor can't improve.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

08 Jun 2015 09:52 #3 by PrintSmith
The left needs the poor to stay poor and dependent in order to succeed in their desires to fundamentally transform a system of government in which the liberty of the individual is the highest political objective into one in which the means, distribution and exchange of goods is collectively owned and regulated.

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds