700 sqft Billboard purposed for El Rancho Area say it isn't so

11 Jul 2015 14:24 - 11 Jul 2015 14:25 #11 by ScienceChic
So, to play Devil's Advocate, I read through the proposal and Cover Letter and four things stood out to me as positives for this proposal.

1. When they held the community meeting, none of the neighbors (at least according to documents filed) voiced any opposition or had any issues with the signs. These are the people living in the adjacent vicinity who would be impacted the most and they voiced no opposition.

2. Re-zoning this property will allow Alpine Rescue to realize their future vision for the property.
"A representative from Alpine Rescue stated that approving the application would be of great benefit to his organization because it would allow Alpine Rescue to train on the property."

3. This proposed sign replaces one that is already there, looking quite the eye-sore, but no one is able to do anything about it because of the zoning on the empty property upon which it is located. When asked about the lighting, manufacturer of the digital sign replied "the lighting would be regulated by CDOT, the replacement sign would automatically dim based on ambient lighting conditions, there would be no animation, and each image would remain for at least 8 seconds...it uses energy efficient LED bulbs and baffling to limit light spillage. Steve Richards from Mile High explained that digital signs often benefit small business more than regular billboards because small businesses can better afford to purchase one 8-second rotation rather than an entire month's worth of static advertising."

4. The replacement sign is designed to face I-70 only and to be placed in such a way as to minimize visibility to surrounding neighborhoods.

I understand the sentiment of not wanting to approve something because it "opens the door to further development", but I believe each case should be considered on its merits and just because this one makes sense doesn't mean that future ones in other locations will. This sounds like the re-zoning could do a lot of good, replacing the sign fixes an eye-sore already there (which I hadn't realized until reading this, it's not a brand new thing going in where nothing had been before), and it doesn't seem to bother those living closest to it. If future signs are proposed and don't make as much sense, then fight against those as they come about.

I can't say that I approve of putting in a lighted sign myself because, regardless of the fact that it uses LEDs it is still adding energy consumption over the zero amount prior, I do very much approve of the opportunity for area small businesses to have a new opportunity to advertise within their budget. The fact that it dims in ambient light and is designed to eliminate light spillage is great for reducing the energy consumption to as little as possible and being conscientious of the neighbors' desires to reduce light pollution in the mountains.

Your thoughts in light of those points?

Here are virtual renderings of what the sign would actually look like:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Jul 2015 19:51 #12 by Ashley
Aren't there enough issues with texting and talking on cell phones w/o adding more distractions?

My vote is take down the old dilapidated sign and replace it with nothing.

I will have to go look as I thought I read/saw something about the people living in the townhomes across from it not in favor of it. Will have to try to find.

11 Jul 2015 19:56 #13 by Mary Scott
4. The replacement sign is designed to face I-70 only and to be placed in such a way as to minimize visibility to surrounding neighborhoods.

I thought there was a law about billboards along interstate highways. Oh, there was.

Breaking Local Government Land Use News: Obama suspends billboard regulations along interstate highways.

Local governments are stunned to learn that over the weekend they were thrown under the bus by the President and Speaker John Boehner. Hidden in the fine language of the new draft federal budget compromise was a presidential suspension of billboard regulation along federal interstate highways.

blog.aklandlaw.com/2013/04/articles/loca...interstate-highways/

11 Jul 2015 20:29 #14 by HappyCamper
I think that those living near by need to be the ones that tell us if they want it or not.

For me I will support the resident when it comes to a sign like this but I doubt if I have any pull being from a different county.

12 Jul 2015 18:38 - 12 Jul 2015 18:46 #16 by Something the Dog Said

Mary Scott wrote: 4. The replacement sign is designed to face I-70 only and to be placed in such a way as to minimize visibility to surrounding neighborhoods.

I thought there was a law about billboards along interstate highways. Oh, there was.

Breaking Local Government Land Use News: Obama suspends billboard regulations along interstate highways.

Local governments are stunned to learn that over the weekend they were thrown under the bus by the President and Speaker John Boehner. Hidden in the fine language of the new draft federal budget compromise was a presidential suspension of billboard regulation along federal interstate highways.

You may want to check the date on the article to which you linked. I had not heard of the tri-winged spotted blackbirds in California since according to your article they have been declared endangered by the "Federal Investigation of Scientific Habitat"? Perhaps the Onion may be a better source?

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

12 Jul 2015 22:59 #17 by Mary Scott

Something the Dog Said wrote:

Mary Scott wrote: 4. The replacement sign is designed to face I-70 only and to be placed in such a way as to minimize visibility to surrounding neighborhoods.

You may want to check the date on the article to which you linked. I had not heard of the tri-winged spotted blackbirds in California since according to your article they have been declared endangered by the "Federal Investigation of Scientific Habitat"? Perhaps the Onion may be a better source?

You are correct and I have been duped, but I still thought you could not put billboards along interstate highways. But I am probably wrong about that, too. So I will acquiesce to your rather acerbic replies.

Time to create page: 0.226 seconds