President Obama Lops Off Mt. McKinley

30 Aug 2015 20:07 #1 by FredHayek
The new name of the tallest mountain in North America will be Denali.
:camper: Why would you replace the proud name of a POTUS with a carbon producing, environment destroying name of an SUV?

(Just kidding!) :popcorn:

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 Aug 2015 21:42 #2 by ScienceChic
So apparently Alaskans have been petitioning to have the name officially changed to Denali for 60 years now and they never refer to it as Mt McKinley. Considering he's an Ohio-born president (and being a former resident of Ohio I can say with authority that I could care less if there's a change. LOL), it seems the right thing to do to me.

Ohio politicians have been blocking the name change all this time, take it up with them being jerks. There's no reason a landmark in Alaska should bear an Ohioans' name, even if he was president. Not if the residents of that state have an issue with it.

Aren't we all for states' being listened to over the feds? :popcorn:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

31 Aug 2015 17:58 #3 by Rick
I agree, who cares? If Colorado can decide to make weed legal, other states should have the right to name or rename anything in their own state.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

01 Sep 2015 07:20 #4 by FredHayek
Yep, when I was in Alaska, the residents called it Denali. And the President never actually visited Alaska.
:campdog: Obama is facing protests this week while visiting Anchorage about his opening the Arctic to drilling. Win one, lose one?

01 Sep 2015 15:44 #5 by RenegadeCJ
I think it is funny that our first president who has openly said he used to get high all the time is doing the name changing to a mountain named "Denali" which means "The High One"....I guess he couldn't persuade them just to rename it Mt. Obama! :P

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

01 Sep 2015 17:00 #6 by pineinthegrass

RenegadeCJ wrote: I guess he couldn't persuade them just to rename it Mt. Obama! :P

Since he's from Hawaii, maybe he's saving that name for Mauna Kea?

I was actually surprised the official name was not already Denali because that's the name I've heard for the last few decades. Well, looking it up it appears Denali was pretty much the official Alaska state name since 1975. And now the feds are finally catching up.

I've got no problem with the name, but I don't like the idea of just one person unilaterally changing the name, if that is what happened. Was the name change about to happen anyway or is this another example of Obama using his interpretation of executive privilege? The timing in regards to his Alaska trip does appear this may of been politics as usual. Humm, imagine what names a President Trump might come up with? :ohmy:

It seems to me the states should come up with their own names and if the feds want to get involved (well, they are already involved) then it should just be to oversee it and make sure the correct names are on the correct federal maps and documents.

Here is an article about what it takes to name mountains in Colorado...

www.cpr.org/news/story/how-colorados-mountains-are-named

01 Sep 2015 17:16 #7 by Something the Dog Said
Since Denali is in a federal park, it is appropriate for the federal government to make the change. The Alaska state legislature formally requested that the name be changed back in 1975 and applied to the U.S. Board of Geographic Names for the name change. However, the Ohio congressional delegation has prevented it from acting on the request. The Secretary of Interior does have the power to make name changes if the Board of Geographic Names does not act within a reasonable time in making a decision on a name change. Apparently, 40 years is considered not to be a reasonable time.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

02 Sep 2015 07:09 #8 by FredHayek

RenegadeCJ wrote: I think it is funny that our first president who has openly said he used to get high all the time is doing the name changing to a mountain named "Denali" which means "The High One"....I guess he couldn't persuade them just to rename it Mt. Obama! :P

:twisted:
Time for MJ smileys?

02 Sep 2015 07:15 #9 by Nobody that matters
Obama fixed a mistake - it never should have been named McKinley in the first place.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

02 Sep 2015 08:28 #10 by FredHayek
McKinley was named by a gold miner who supported the his pro-gold stance, so it was political from the start.

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds