Does Immigration Help World Poverty?

18 Nov 2015 09:49 - 18 Nov 2015 09:50 #1 by Rick
This video is well worth the watch...

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Nov 2015 10:11 #2 by ScienceChic
I had never heard that the argument to take immigrants was to "reduce poverty" worldwide; I'd always heard that it was to allow those who want to make a better life. The people who make the effort to come here are the type who are more self-motivated, driven, who will make America better with their efforts, their skills, their perspectives.

That's why we don't want to exclude certain "types" of people - it's just like keeping women out of the workforce or preventing them from voting - you cut off your nose to spite your face by removing a whole segment of population that provides a different point of view, different strengths and weaknesses to balance those another demographic has.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

23 Nov 2015 13:32 #3 by Mary Scott

ScienceChic wrote: I had never heard that the argument to take immigrants was to "reduce poverty" worldwide; I'd always heard that it was to allow those who want to make a better life. The people who make the effort to come here are the type who are more self-motivated, driven, who will make America better with their efforts, their skills, their perspectives.

That's why we don't want to exclude certain "types" of people - it's just like keeping women out of the workforce or preventing them from voting - you cut off your nose to spite your face by removing a whole segment of population that provides a different point of view, different strengths and weaknesses to balance those another demographic has.

Obviously you are not talking about the current debate about allowing tens of thousands of immigrants/refugees from the middle east.

24 Nov 2015 08:42 #4 by Rick

ScienceChic wrote: I had never heard that the argument to take immigrants was to "reduce poverty" worldwide; I'd always heard that it was to allow those who want to make a better life. The people who make the effort to come here are the type who are more self-motivated, driven, who will make America better with their efforts, their skills, their perspectives.

I think the point he is making is that we take the wrong people (in general) which actually ends up hurting their countries of origin. And this isn't about the Syrian refugees at all, that's a different argument.

I'm sure you've heard the argument that taking in skilled immigrants helps the US. But I've never heard the argument that taking skilled immigrants from poorer countries actually hurts those poorer countries. I think there is also the chance that the skilled immigrants take better jobs that should be filled by Americans.

I just thought it was a different perspective that I had not thought of before. I have no problem with bringing in immigrants, but they should fit a need that is a plus for us and not detrimental to their home countries.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

25 Nov 2015 19:40 #5 by ScienceChic
No doubt that it does - our gain in WWII was Germany's huge loss in terms of scientific discovery and breakthroughs - I remember reading a long time ago (can't remember where) that there's no doubt they would have attained the atom bomb before us if we hadn't recruited and/or offered asylum to their top scientists. You know what? Too f'in bad for them. If they don't want to treat their citizens right, and we offer a better life, then isn't that the American Dream? Isn't that capitalism at its finest? Attract and retain the best and brightest talent to join you - that's how you get ahead and stay ahead, in business and in life.

You know what worries me? That someday here in the near future, we won't be that shining beacon calling to immigrants. We won't be that "best opportunity". America is already slipping in terms of scientific stature - we are filing fewer patents, publishing a lesser percentage of scientific papers last I checked. Soon, we will not be #1 in the world in terms of new discoveries, new technology, and the GDP that comes from that. We need the best and brightest to still come live here and work here or our economy is screwed.

Now, do our immigration policies operate on the foundation of allowing the best and the brightest, or the most in-need into the U.S.? I don't know how they decide, but I'm sure it can be improved whatever it is.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

27 Nov 2015 09:39 #6 by Rick

ScienceChic wrote: No doubt that it does - our gain in WWII was Germany's huge loss in terms of scientific discovery and breakthroughs - I remember reading a long time ago (can't remember where) that there's no doubt they would have attained the atom bomb before us if we hadn't recruited and/or offered asylum to their top scientists. You know what? Too f'in bad for them. If they don't want to treat their citizens right, and we offer a better life, then isn't that the American Dream? Isn't that capitalism at its finest? Attract and retain the best and brightest talent to join you - that's how you get ahead and stay ahead, in business and in life.

You know what worries me? That someday here in the near future, we won't be that shining beacon calling to immigrants. We won't be that "best opportunity". America is already slipping in terms of scientific stature - we are filing fewer patents, publishing a lesser percentage of scientific papers last I checked. Soon, we will not be #1 in the world in terms of new discoveries, new technology, and the GDP that comes from that. We need the best and brightest to still come live here and work here or our economy is screwed.

Now, do our immigration policies operate on the foundation of allowing the best and the brightest, or the most in-need into the U.S.? I don't know how they decide, but I'm sure it can be improved whatever it is.

I agree, that's why I hope the next president doesn't have the philosophy that no nation should be exceptional over any other and that president has our economic health as a top priority.

If we regulate and spend ourselves into bankruptcy, this place wont be attractive to anyone other than rich investors and other countries willing to buy up our discounted assets.

George Orwell

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds