Do gunmen get a pass on being labeled terrorists?

11 Apr 2016 20:52 #1 by ScienceChic
From Jim Wright :

Now, this guy murdered 3 people, including a police officer. He wounded 9 more.

He did it specifically because of his religious beliefs.

He did it with the intention of forcing government, business, and religions different from his own to comply with his beliefs by force.

He is NOT a gunman.

He is NOT a shooter.

He is a terrorist, no different in any way whatsoever from the Muslim extremists who do murder in the name of THEIR god.

Planned Parenthood gunman said he was upset over "selling of baby parts"
Robert Lewis Dear Jr. also told a shooting victim she had picked the wrong day to go to the Colorado Springs clinic
By Jordan Steffen, The Denver Post
Posted: 04/11/2016

Robert Lewis Dear Jr. told a woman she "shouldn't have come here today" before he shot her multiple times in the parking lot of a Colorado Springs Planned Parenthood clinic, according to documents released Monday.

Dear also told police "that his dream was that when he died and went to heaven he would be met by all the aborted fetuses at the gates of heaven and they would thank him for what he did because his actions saved lives of unborn fetuses," the documents said.

Dear faces 179 counts — including eight charges of first- degree murder — for the Nov. 27 attack at the Colorado Springs clinic. The 57-year-old is accused of killing University of Colorado at Colorado Springs Police Officer Garrett Swasey, Ke'Arre Stewart, 29, and Jennifer Markovsky, 35.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Apr 2016 08:08 #2 by FredHayek
One versus many? One lone nut job shooting up a building versus a group that trained and prepared like the Paris terrorists? Fort Hood was judged to be workplace violence partially because the shooter acted alone. San Bernardino was judged to be terrorism because it was at least two shooters.

Would the DC sniper pair be called terrorists? There seems to be no hard and fast rules.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

12 Apr 2016 14:26 #3 by Something the Dog Said
I believe he could be labeled an evangelical christian terrorist, as he was part of the network of evangelical christians calling for violence against not only abortion providers but even those health agencies perceived to provide abortions. Since some are so quick to label the San Bernadino couple radical islamic terrorists as they performed their heinous acts in the name of Islam, then you must also label those who perpetrate violence in the name of Christ and/or the Lord as Christian terrorists.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

13 Apr 2016 07:32 #4 by Mary Scott

Something the Dog Said wrote: I believe he could be labeled an evangelical christian terrorist, as he was part of the network of evangelical christians calling for violence against not only abortion providers but even those health agencies perceived to provide abortions. Since some are so quick to label the San Bernadino couple radical islamic terrorists as they performed their heinous acts in the name of Islam, then you must also label those who perpetrate violence in the name of Christ and/or the Lord as Christian terrorists.

Makes sense.

So, for you, is he an evangelical christian terrorist?

13 Apr 2016 07:41 #5 by FredHayek
Since the PP location was closed down for a while and they couldn't provide abortion services, did the shooter actually save more humans than he killed on that one day?

13 Apr 2016 07:47 #6 by Jukerado
From the FWIW Department, I vote 'yes' on him being labeled a terrorist, as the word simply means someone who terrorizes. There are no political or religious boundaries affiliated with that act itself. Anyone who infringes on the life, liberty, and rights of another therefore qualifies.

The FBI gives three 'official' categories of terrorism. Interestingly enough, none mention religious slants:
www.fbi.gov/about-us/investigate/terrorism/terrorism-definition

Without me meandering off into a diatribe on the societal blight known as abortion, perhaps we can all agree that anyone can do anything while invoking a particular name. "It's his fault", "the devil made me do it", "you brought this on yourself", or "allahu akbar" while lopping off someone's head. One could scream "Hickenlooper!!!!!" while taking a chainsaw to one's neighbor, but in that obviously ridiculous example, the governor called for no such act.

So any psychotic d'bag can set himself or herself up as a terrorist, based on a message revealed in their SpaghettiOs or whatever delusional (mis)interpretation they think justifies their act of terror. Doesn't make them a true believer, merely a true asshole.

13 Apr 2016 15:05 #7 by ScienceChic

FredHayek wrote: Since the PP location was closed down for a while and they couldn't provide abortion services, did the shooter actually save more humans than he killed on that one day?

Well, if you're going to look at it that way, probably not. I'm sure whomever wanted an abortion would go elsewhere as that's kind of time-sensitive. Do remember that Planned Parenthood provides far more services than that, and the people he killed weren't there to get an abortion (from what I remember reading in the news stories anyway), they were innocent bystanders in the wrong place at the wrong time, and a cop just trying to do his job.

Regardless of which, the big difference is abortion is legal; murder is not. You don't like the laws on the books? Work the system to get them changed and abide by what the majority of the citizens in this country want. Don't want an abortion, don't have one - you don't go killing people because you don't like what they're doing. He is a terrorist in my book.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
The following user(s) said Thank You: RJ

13 Apr 2016 18:54 #8 by Rick
I have no problem with calling a Christian who kills in the name of Christianity to be called a Christian extremist terrorist and I'm sure the left as a whole would not have a problem with that label either. But our cowardly hypocrite of a president won't use the term Islamic extremist (nor will most prominent Democrats).

It's not about offending a particular religion, or race, or gender.... it's about ACCURATELY describing a perpetrator(s) who decides to kill innocent people. This really is a stupid argument brought on by a devolving PC society of wimps.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

14 Apr 2016 06:57 #9 by FredHayek
Side note: the nut job "terrorist" called Planned Parenthood to get directions because he was lost. No good deed goes unpunished? If they wouldn't have answered the call, they might have prevented the tragedy.

16 Apr 2016 07:57 #10 by RJ

ScienceChic wrote:

FredHayek wrote: Since the PP location was closed down for a while and they couldn't provide abortion services, did the shooter actually save more humans than he killed on that one day?

Well, if you're going to look at it that way, probably not. I'm sure whomever wanted an abortion would go elsewhere as that's kind of time-sensitive. Do remember that Planned Parenthood provides far more services than that, and the people he killed weren't there to get an abortion (from what I remember reading in the news stories anyway), they were innocent bystanders in the wrong place at the wrong time, and a cop just trying to do his job.

Regardless of which, the big difference is abortion is legal; murder is not. You don't like the laws on the books? Work the system to get them changed and abide by what the majority of the citizens in this country want. Don't want an abortion, don't have one - you don't go killing people because you don't like what they're doing. He is a terrorist in my book.

This sums it up pretty well. There are laws for a reason. Laws can be changed if you don't like them, but until they are changed, you must accept them. This is part of living in a civilized society.

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds