5 errors Dick Elsner's, Park County Commissioner candidate, campaign letter

19 Jun 2016 19:54 #1 by Lynda
Dear Park County Voters,
I found 5 errors (listed in quotes below) about me, Lynda James, in my opponent Richard Elsner’s recent campaign letter. Even though most ballots have been cast, I want to set the record straight.
The information below is true, not slanted or taken out of context, and can be verified.

Elsner Error 1: “Now she (Lynda) has decided to switch parties and run against me (Richard) as a Republican.”
Reality: I’ve been registered Republican since May 2012. Elsner chose to run a week after I filed my intent to run. Date I filed: Feb. 2. Date Elsner filed: Feb. 8.
I was asked by a prominent Republican to run because no one had announced by mid-January. I asked other Republicans. All encouraged me; saying I’m always conservative, regardless of affiliation, especially in financial matters and wanting a small limited government.
Proof: Secretary of State’s website, Elections, TRACER
Park County Clerk & Recorder’s Office: My Republican registration: 5/10/12

Elsner Error 2: “She mentioned the Second Amendment, spending her time talking about a well regulated Militia. She didn’t say anything about the most important part, specifically ‘the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed’.”
Reality: During the Guffey debate, we were asked about our favorite U.S. Constitutional amendment. I said 1st, 2nd and 4th and described all three amendments. I said that when the 2nd was adopted, a well regulated militia meant citizens at home, not government armed forces and that I don’t support government banning guns. If someone came to my door with a gun, I would meet them with mine.
Proof: The debates were not taped. I can give you names of all attendees to verify. Call 303-838-2178

Elsner Error 3: “She serves on county advisory boards where meetings are held in the middle of the day, even the ones she is chair of and could influence the time and location of where they are held. Many, including her, have been on these boards for more than 20 years.”
Reality: I don’t believe a chair’s job is to influence other board members. The longest time, but not continuously, I’ve served on a county board is 8.5 years. I didn’t serve on any county board from 2004 - 2011. Currently, I’m on one board.
Land & Water Trust Fund: 2000-2004, late 2011-2016, 8.5 years, currently chair.
Advisory Board on the Environment: 1994-1997, 2012-2014, 5 years
Historical Preservation Commission: 2001-2003, 2 years
Platte Canyon Outdoor Resource Council: 1995- early 1998, 3 years
Proof: Commissioner minutes in Clerk’s Office. Appointment/resignation letters in commissioners’ administrative office.

Elsner Error 4: “She says that instead of fewer regulations, to help small business we should just change zoning.”
Reality: During debates, I consistently talked about supporting businesses, need for local jobs, filling empty commercial buildings & property and need to reduce regulations/permit costs. At one debate, I said I’d hire an experienced person to market Park County & encourage businesses to locate here.
Proof: Bailey meeting taped by mymountaintown.com. Search for Bailey county commissioner debate. Around minute 44. Other debates – ask me for list of attendees to verify.

Elsner Error 5: “Lynda, my opponent, has spent over $1,500 to get unaffiliated voters to vote in our Republican primary.”
Reality: Mailed flyer to Republicans for $1,458, did not mail to any unaffiliated voters.
Proof: Campaign finance report, mailing service invoice and list of 2,997 Republican addresses I used.

Thanks, Lynda

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Jun 2016 10:46 #2 by Head geek
It is interesting reading Lynda's post, but her version of the facts is a little different from mine.

A few corrections of her corrections.

1. If you go to Tracer tracer.sos.colorado.gov/PublicSite/Search.aspx (this is where campaign finance is reported) you will see that the last time she ran for commissioner she ran as a Democrat, which is what I pointed out. She claims to have switched parties in 2012, which I will not argue with, but since then she has done nothing to help Republicans or the Republican party in any elections in Park County. Anyone can say they are a Republican, but actions do speak louder than words. At a Republican central committee meeting (the first one she had ever attended) she said she had remained a Democrat so she could vote against Hillary, which gave us Obama...a choice that was far worse.

2. I stand by what I said. She was very clear when she talked about the Second Amendment and a well regulated militia. She went so far as to say the only reason was to fend off foreign invaders. This is the standard Democratic line, now being used by Hillary and company. Let me know if you would like a couple of people to talk to.

3. To quote Lynda's bio on the Upper South Platte Water Conservancy ( www.uspwcd.org/about-us/board-of-directors ): 'Lynda James has been working ... since 1994 by serving on local, regional and statewide boards'. I stand by my statement. She has been involved for over 20 years, but has yet to make it easier for working people to attend any of the meetings. We need to open up the committees so younger or working people who probably have a job during the day can become involved in crucial boards and committees. You will also note that the last minutes from this group were posted in 2013.

4. In Lake George she said we could just change the zoning. In several of the debates she would mention we could change the regulations, and constantly referenced 'necessary regulations'. As a past Democrat, I question just what regulations she sees as necessary.

5. This is what Tracer has about her expenditures:
Date Expended: 05/11/2016 Paid to: PARK COUNTY CLERK & RECORDER
Amount: $65.10 Address PO BOX 220
FAIRPLAY CO 80440
Purpose UNAFFILIATED VOTER REGISTRATION LIST

This information was available on Tracer with her filing on June 2nd. After I sent my letter, she amended her Tracer filing on June 14th to add the correction that she had a Republican voter list. I question who would be able to send the number of letters she claims on the money that she reported. Postage alone should have cost over $1,400.00. Can I expect to see another correction to her reporting?

23 Jun 2016 11:47 #3 by Lynda
I will not get into a posting debate with Dick Elsner who continues to twist facts and makes wild assumptions as if they were truth.

23 Jun 2016 14:42 #4 by ScienceChic
Thank you both for presenting your viewpoints and for running for County Commissioner. It's often a thankless job, but extremely important for our residents and businesses; your efforts and commitment to Park County are appreciated. I wish you both luck however the election turns out and welcome you to participate anytime here on My Mountain Town!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds