The Artificial Intelligence Threat Isn’t Skynet It’s the End of the Middle Class

20 Feb 2017 23:41 #1 by ScienceChic
Aside from the awesome repeat of the historical genetic retreat, this was an eye-opener.

The AI Threat Isn’t Skynet. It’s the End of the Middle Class
Cade Metz, Business

In February 1975, a group of geneticists gathered in a tiny town on the central coast of California to decide if their work would bring about the end of the world. These researchers were just beginning to explore the science of genetic engineering, manipulating DNA to create organisms that didn’t exist in nature, and they were unsure how these techniques would affect the health of the planet and its people. So, they descended on a coastal retreat called Asilomar, a name that became synonymous with the guidelines they laid down at this meeting—a strict ethical framework meant to ensure that biotechnology didn’t unleash the apocalypse.

Forty-two years on, another group of scientists gathered at Asilomar to consider a similar problem. But this time, the threat wasn’t biological. It was digital. In January, the world’s top artificial intelligence researchers walked down the same beachside paths as they discussed their rapidly accelerating field and the role it will play in the fate of humanity. It was a private conference—the enormity of the subject deserves some privacy—but in recent days, organizers released several videos from the conference talks, and some participants have been willing to discuss their experience, shedding some light on the way AI researchers view the threat of their own field.

Yes, they discussed the possibility of a superintelligence that could somehow escape human control, and at the end of the month, the conference organizers unveiled a set of guidelines, signed by attendees and other AI luminaries, that aim to prevent this possible dystopia. But the researchers at Asilomar were also concerned with more immediate matters: the effect of AI on the economy.

At a time when the Trump administration is promising to make America great again by restoring old-school manufacturing jobs, AI researchers aren’t taking him too seriously. They know that these jobs are never coming back, thanks in no small part to their own research, which will eliminate so many other kinds of jobs in the years to come, as well. At Asilomar, they looked at the real US economy, the real reasons for the “hollowing out” of the middle class. The problem isn’t immigration—far from it. The problem isn’t offshoring or taxes or regulation. It’s technology.

Much more at the link above. What do you think?

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Feb 2017 08:33 #2 by Mary Scott
When I migrated to the mountains I was greeted with a four party party line for a phone and an antenna that rotated to point toward either Denver or Colorado Springs to watch TV.

This morning I asked my computer to find this video that I had seen.

Ray Kurzweil's book "The Singularity is Near" is a fascinating read.

21 Nov 2017 12:02 #3 by ScienceChic
Tesla just rolled out its electric semi tractor trailers; can you imagine when those become driverless?

It's not just Google and Tesla: Walmart is quietly testing a self-driving vehicle, but this one scrubs floors
by Chip Cutter
November 20, 2017

Walmart has quietly begun testing an advanced, autonomous floor scrubber during overnight shifts in five stores near the company's headquarters in Bentonville, Ark., a move that could free workers from hours of drudgery, but that has already raised alarm among some employees. As the U.S.’s largest private-sector employer, Walmart is watched carefully for any shifts it makes to its workplace.

Walmart has said it wants to automate tasks that are “repeatable, predictable and manual,” giving its people more time to focus on higher-value work like customer service and selling. It is putting shelf-scanning bots in 50 stores to more accurately check prices and inventory, it announced last month. The company said the bots would not lead to a drop in headcount.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

24 Nov 2017 16:18 #4 by FredHayek
At my wife's insurance company, they used to have people enter data for accidents and claims, now those jobs are done by scanners. Maybe it is good that America and Western Europe have reached ZPG...

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

25 Nov 2017 12:39 #5 by ramage
Isn't it ironic that San Francisco ruling elites want to tax (punish) those industries using robots to replace humans.

A San Francisco official is pushing for a 'robot tax' — here's what that means
Futurism
Dom Galeon, Futurism
Sep. 6, 2017, 10:05 PM 2,179

26 Nov 2017 21:59 #6 by ScienceChic

ramage wrote: Isn't it ironic that San Francisco ruling elites want to tax (punish) those industries using robots to replace humans.

A San Francisco official is pushing for a 'robot tax' — here's what that means
Futurism
Dom Galeon, Futurism
Sep. 6, 2017, 10:05 PM 2,179

Is this the article you were talking about ramage?
www.businessinsider.com/robot-tax-san-francisco-2017-9

27 Nov 2017 18:06 #7 by ramage
SC,
Yes, I am sorry that my citation was not more clear. Growing up in the age of Dick Tracey, with his wrist phone (Apple Watch) and other fantastic technologic innovations that have subsequently come to fruition, I found the article actually reinforcing the maxim of "unintended consequences".

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds