What is Middle Class?

19 Dec 2017 19:24 #1 by ramage
What is Middle Class? was created by ramage
All politicians talk about the "middle class", but no one offers a definition. What is the "middle class" in your opinion?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Dec 2017 20:17 #2 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic What is Middle Class?
That's a good question. My first thought went to absolute dollars in income, but I almost immediately realized that it's more complicated than that. I think of middle class as those in between poor and wealthy (and it's not an equal distribution between those extremes). But there are also breakdowns within the middle class of lower-middle class who are at high risk of slipping back into the poor category be it through a traumatic event (losing a job, becoming gravely ill, loss of a spouse, etc), plain old middle class who are at risk but not as acutely as the lower-middle, and upper-middle class who are strongly stable (i.e. even if they lose a job, they have investments or other opportunities to pursue in order to recover lost income quickly) and have good opportunity to become wealthy.

What is middle class, anyway?

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

20 Dec 2017 15:18 #3 by ramage
Replied by ramage on topic What is Middle Class?
Just heard a Democrat representative from Queens, NY, say that many of his "middle class" constituents have $700,000-$800,000 mortgages.

13 Jan 2018 16:34 #4 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic What is Middle Class?
Thoughts on this? I've seen other stories that many people are moving out of Colorado because it's getting to expensive to afford to live. If wages don't keep up, those in the middle class struggle and incur credit card debt, or fall back to lower class levels despite still working hard. Yet, we keep hearing that we can't raise the minimum wage because that hurts business.

The tax bill that was just passed has created much controversy over whether it will help or hurt the middle class. It certainly helps businesses and the assumption that by helping business, you help workers and consumers seems tenuous at best. Our economy is doing well, the stock market is at all-time highs, and the unemployment rate is low; the problem to me is that we don't have decent living wages. People have jobs, they aren't making enough.

New report shows Colorado's economy is booming, but wages aren't keeping up
By Jennifer Kovaleski
Jan 12, 2018

DENVER -- A new report from the Bell Policy Center, a progressive-leaning think tank, found Colorado's economy is booming but wages aren't keeping up with the growing cost of living.

"I'm not making what I feel like I should be making, it's terrible out here," worker Joshua Adams said.

"The wage growth rate is lagging behind," University of Denver professor of finance Mac Clouse said.

Clouse pointed to a staggering figure in the report which found when adjusted for inflation, Colorado's average weekly wages have only risen $33 since 2000.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

17 Jan 2018 13:18 #5 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic What is Middle Class?
The tax bill was just passed and already people on the left are screaming about wages not suddenly going up. Competition will naturally cause wages to go up as more employers seek a greater market share by reducing prices. These same companies also have to compete for a shrinking pool of unemployed people so they will have to raise wages to get and keep the best employees. This doesn't happen overnight, but forcing unrealistic minimum wages WILL show negative consequences much faster imo. A booming economy will help everybody regardless what idiots like Pelosi say. Wages may not go up as fast as insurance premiums after Obama's lies, but they will go up.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

18 Jan 2018 11:42 #6 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic What is Middle Class?
Probably depends on where you live if you want to use income or assets as a measuring stick. For example, I know someone who lives in Brooklyn who has to work two jobs to afford the rent and she has a roommate. She makes more than I do and I have a nice four bedroom, three bath home.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds