No Winning Strategy

15 Feb 2018 12:22 #11 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic No Winning Strategy
Trump is dislikable, but he does get things done, regulations repealed and we now have an administration that supports business instead of hating it. I read an interview about the few months where President Barack Obama actually worked for a business. He hated it with a passion and couldn't wait to leave. This clearly influenced his politics. You think an anti-business President makes the economy grow?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Feb 2018 13:54 #12 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic No Winning Strategy
I think it's pretty clear that many people with a liberal ideology don't understand how competition works and why it works. Now we are seeing in real time what happens when a president takes burdensome regulations and taxes off of businesses... far more effective than printing a shit ton of money and calling it a stimulous package. When tax revenues go up, and they will, Dems will have a very hard time trying to explain why (they'll most likely credit Obama who never got us over 2% growth).

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

23 Feb 2018 15:26 #13 by Carrie
Replied by Carrie on topic No Winning Strategy
But there has to be a balance between making money and protection. Talk to some of the people who were sold down the river during the banking fiasco of 2008. The banks weren't conducting honest business. Having built and sold my own successful business, I understand that there is an ethical requirement to being a good business person on many levels. For example, you don't (or shouldn't) sell future generations out by causing harm to the environment today. You can utilize resources without causing damage if it is done RESPONSIBLY. You don't lie or exclude pertinent information to potential clients. You don't cheat people out of their homes or savings because, now that the regulations have been lifted, you can. The purpose of business, by definition, is to make a profit. To make a profit ETHICALLY is up to those who run the businesses. The final decision on how any business is run is what are your priorities and how much of your moral code are you willing to sell for more business? Which is more important? You can be ethical and fair and make a profit from a good product or service. You can make a lot MORE money by being less ethical...

23 Feb 2018 19:34 #14 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic No Winning Strategy
I agree completely, companies shouldn't be allowed to trash the environment just to make money. But that;'s not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about giving businesses an easier pathway to grow which in turn creates more jobs and helps people escape from government dependency (which is our biggest drain on revenue). It seems that government lifers want businesses to run at the same bureaucratic snail's pace as government... stacking up roadblocks, regulations, and red tape at every turn then taxing at rates not competitive with the rest of the world.

What exactly did Obama do in his 8 years to inspire and incentivize companies to invest? The only thing that kept businesses going was zero interest rates, without the fed reserve holding rates down so low, there's no way the economy would have come close to the stagnant 2% growth... Obama's "new normal". The government can only create taxpayer funded government jobs, that's it. The government relies on the private sector to deliver revenue yet it continually makes it harder for businesses to grow, until now.

I've been a business owner for the last 25 years (minus a few cancer years) and I've never felt more optimistic when it comes to my future... and if you look at the polls, I'm not alone. We just want to be left alone and we want a fair and competitive tax code that isn't full of loopholes, but easy enough for anyone to understand without a CPA to decipher.. We're not quite there yet, but I think it's a good start.

So back to the title of this thread:
WHAT IS THE DEMOCRAT"S STRATEGY? In the midterm elections, will they run on reversing what Trump has done for the economy and how exactly will that help the middle class they always pretend to help?

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds