No Winning Strategy

30 Jan 2018 21:30 #1 by Rick
No Winning Strategy was created by Rick
So first of all. I’m watching the SOTU and watching Trumps arrogant expressions and smug tone and was just imagining the millions of teeth clenching Trump haters screaming at their TVs. Then I thought to myself ,what if someone like JFK said those exact words , would not the vast majority of voters be in agreement? This is why I’m beginning to be a big fan. I used to hate the way he talked and acted, but I now see why it’s so effective, his persona is the shiny object that Trump haters on both sides can’t turn away from. Meanwhile, less obsessive Americans are feeling the hope and change that’s not just a slogan. Which brings me to the main question I have for you all on all sides...

What will the Democrat strategy be in the face a booming economy, higher paychecks, lower unemployment, and zero predicted Armageddon? Pelosii said something like that about the tax bill... do most American voters want to vote themselves a tax hike? What will Democrats promise to undo since they voted against everything that’s making the economy take off, what gets undone that the people in mass will put obove their prosperity?

This is why I know in my bones that most Trump haters would hope for an economic crash as the only way to ensure his exit. I hope I’m wrong though.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

31 Jan 2018 12:00 #2 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic No Winning Strategy
R.I.P. M.M.T.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

31 Jan 2018 15:02 #3 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic No Winning Strategy

Rick wrote: So first of all. I’m watching the SOTU and watching Trumps arrogant expressions and smug tone and was just imagining the millions of teeth clenching Trump haters screaming at their TVs. Then I thought to myself ,what if someone like JFK said those exact words , would not the vast majority of voters be in agreement? This is why I’m beginning to be a big fan. I used to hate the way he talked and acted, but I now see why it’s so effective, his persona is the shiny object that Trump haters on both sides can’t turn away from. Meanwhile, less obsessive Americans are feeling the hope and change that’s not just a slogan. Which brings me to the main question I have for you all on all sides...

What will the Democrat strategy be in the face a booming economy, higher paychecks, lower unemployment, and zero predicted Armageddon? Pelosii said something like that about the tax bill... do most American voters want to vote themselves a tax hike? What will Democrats promise to undo since they voted against everything that’s making the economy take off, what gets undone that the people in mass will put obove their prosperity?

This is why I know in my bones that most Trump haters would hope for an economic crash as the only way to ensure his exit. I hope I’m wrong though.

How do you know that we will continue to have a booming economy and enjoy the low unemployment that we do today? The prosperity that we are enjoying now has very little to do with the current administration, the economy doesn't change that quickly.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

31 Jan 2018 18:13 - 31 Jan 2018 18:13 #4 by ramage
Replied by ramage on topic No Winning Strategy
SC:
" The prosperity that we are enjoying now has very little to do with the current administration, the economy doesn't change that quickly. "
Do you seriously believe that the economic revival is not due to the Trump Administration's policies. Walk away from your computer and talk with employees and employers in the MMT community to see the effects locally. Talk with me, for instance. I can show you what the Tax Cut and reduce in regulations has done for my business and my employees.

01 Feb 2018 11:26 #5 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic No Winning Strategy
Considering that the tax cuts haven't even gone into effect for businesses yet (LLC, for example, can't start claiming the 20% pass through until filing next year), I'm curious as to how it could've had any benefit for you yet ramage. I would love to hear how it has, because I've not seen anything myself. Can you cite specific policies Trump has enacted that have helped?

I've seen reports that some companies are offering bonuses claiming it's because it was passed, but I strongly suspect those are PR ploys and they already had the cash in hand to dole out. I've also seen where many companies have abruptly closed hundreds of stores, so if bonuses are going to be credited to the Tax Bill that was passed, then surely the negative consequences do as well. Frankly, I think hundreds or thousands losing their jobs and their total income outright is much worse for the economy than thousands getting a one-time payout amounting to 1-4 months of salary, don't you?

If you look at the trends, unemployment was already a very low levels and had been falling for many years. The stock market had been climbing for quite some time before Trump ever took office.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

01 Feb 2018 12:59 #6 by ramage
Replied by ramage on topic No Winning Strategy
SC,
Very simply, planning ahead. Something that all businesses do or should do. Knowing what the tax law will be and the regulatory environment, similarly, allows me to expand and reward my employees. We are not a government entity, rather we compete in our area of expertise. Suspect what you like, suffice it to say no bonuses of this magnitude where issued during the last 8 years. Did these companies not want the "PR ploy" to curry favor with the administration in office? Closing an unprofitable store is a business decision based on past performance and projected profit/loss. Were you surprised when the Walmart in the Applewood Shopping Center closed its doors? Had you ever gone to this store it would have been obvious that it was not seeing the number of shoppers needed to keep it viable. I do not know the reasons, perhaps the demographics of the are had changed?, perhaps competition from COSCO? The store was unprofitable. Business is not a simple undertaking. Look no further than the Thrift Store in the Pine Junction strip mall.
When Obama was elected, it was obvious, from HIS statements that it was not going to be a climate in which business could grow. Thus we hunkered down and dealt with the burdens of Obamacare, many businesses went to hiring employees part time to avoid the cost of onerous healthcare costs.
With regard to specific policies, again look no further than the reductions in the corporate tax rate. To be sure it will be in next year's filing but again we plan ahead. One should not be reactive, rather PROACITVE in business.
" Frankly, I think hundreds or thousands losing their jobs and their total income outright is much worse for the economy than thousands getting a one-time payout amounting to 1-4 months of salary, don't you?" the only hundreds of people leaving their jobs are government workers.
From CNN Money August 4, 2017
"With July's jobs report, employers have added a total of 1,074,000 jobs during Trump's first six full months in office."
These are hamburger flipping jobs (Joe Biden speaking of employment rates under Bush) NOT today.
Unemployment prior to Trump: please look at the workforce participation rate for the last 8 years. People are now coming back into the market. Anecdotally I see this here in the MMT community, i.e. speaking with new employees who have now re-entered the labor pool.
Finally to your point of the rising stock market. Please look at your 401-k and its increase in the last 12 months. Need I say more?

01 Feb 2018 13:53 #7 by Rick
You either don't remember or don't want to remember all the uncertainty businesses of all sizes had when faced with the Obama administrations impending policies that were going to be harmful to growth. Companies now are excited to know that they won't be raped by bad policies like the ACA, higher taxes, and whatever wealth redistribution BS Obama and Democrats had planned. Trump promised to reduce taxes and regulations prior to the election and that creates some optimism for businesses, something Democrats will NEVER understand.

George Orwell

01 Feb 2018 13:54 #8 by Rick
Sorry Ramage, just read yours and agree, we must be on the same brain wave.

George Orwell

01 Feb 2018 14:43 #9 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic No Winning Strategy
Atlanta Fed estimate of GDP growth tops 5%, doubling

www.marketwatch.com/story/atlanta-fed-es...consensus-2018-02-01
consensus

02 Feb 2018 16:01 #10 by RenegadeCJ
Replied by RenegadeCJ on topic No Winning Strategy
SC,
I'm confused on why you think it is a only a PR move for companies to give bonuses, wage increases, etc due to the tax cut.

I'm not sure how your business works exactly, or if you have any employees, but if you are an LLC, you likely pay estimated taxes. If your taxes are going to go down over the whole year by 20%, you will pay 20% less with each quarterly payment, correct? What are you going to do with that extra $$? You are under no obligation to pay that out, but your costs of doing business have gone down. Right now there is competition for good employees. Utilizing the extra $$ companies are saving off of their tax payments to give bonuses, and raising wages, adding to comp plans, vacation days, etc is a wise use of those funds. Many companies do have cash on hand to do such things, but not all do. They just know for a fact that their costs will be going down over the next year, and they are hoping the bonuses and raises make a happier team.

You say the economy was doing well before trump, and you would be somewhat correct. Companies couldn't make financial moves under Obama because they never knew what regulation or tax was coming next. Many owners I know are now opening their wallets for expansion, addl employess, addl equipment, etc because they know where their taxes will be for at least 3 more years of trump. They also know they won't have new burdensome regulations while he is in office.

I'm excited to see what our economy will do over the next 3 yrs. I would hope your business will grow along with all of us.

I know your really don't like Trump, but the corporate tax cuts are great for our country and our competitiveness in the world.

Too bad future generations aren't here to see all the great things we are spending their $$ on!!

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds