Cory Gardner

11 Feb 2018 21:03 #1 by ramage
Cory Gardner was created by ramage
Trouble is, John Demers, the man President Trump nominated last September to head Justice’s National Security Division, is waiting to be confirmed by the Senate because Cory Gardner, Republican Senator from Colorado, has a beef with Attorney General Sessions over enforcement of Federal marijuana laws in Colorado. Yes, you read that right. There is no permanent presidential appointee in charge of combatting terrorism at the Justice Department because a Republican senator has put discretionary federal marijuana enforcement above U.S. national security in his priorities.

It is not that Demers in unqualified, or a troublesome nominee, or beats his wife or is a sexual predator. A Harvard Law graduate who clerked on the Supreme Court for Justice Antonin Scalia, he was second in command at the National Security Division during the George W. Bush Administration and later a Vice President at Boeing. He was approved unanimously by both the Senate Judiciary and Senate Intelligence Committees, where even the Democrats considered him “unobjectionable” and a sterling nominee. Among other duties, if confirmed Demers will play a significant role in the federal government’s national security and anti-terrorism efforts, including developing and presenting the Justice Department’s legal positions before the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court.

From Breitbart.com 2/11/18

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Feb 2018 15:00 #2 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Cory Gardner
Pretty cocky move for a junior Senator. I would love to see the House and Senate legalize pot nationally and leave it up to states on if they want to repeal their own laws. Canada is legalizing it, and Mexico is looking at it.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

12 Feb 2018 16:02 #3 by ramage
Replied by ramage on topic Cory Gardner
Perhaps Cory should propose a bill legalizing marijuana nationally. Any bets that he will do it?

13 Feb 2018 15:28 #4 by FredHayek
Great idea! It is likely that Senator Gardner will just get one term, why not go down in history as the man who repealed MJ prohibition?

13 Feb 2018 16:40 #5 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Cory Gardner
I both applaud Gardner for standing up for his constituents (for once) who voted for legalization of marijuana, but am dismayed that he's holding up due process of an important position in order to do so. How Congress works needs fixing, but that's for another topic I suppose.

Sessions needs to get with the program. Marijuana is not a gateway drug for opioid abuse, it can safely help with pain management, and it has overwhelming support of a majority of Americans - more and more states are passing legal recreational and medical use.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

15 Feb 2018 12:17 #6 by FredHayek
I agree. Cory's tactics are grandstanding and harmful. He needs to quit this right now. Hopefully the GOP can exert some leverage. Our Republican Senator is tracking to the Left again this week, now he is supporting the Dreamer's and possible amnesty. I still don't think this will be enough to get him reelected.

15 Feb 2018 18:56 #7 by ramage
Replied by ramage on topic Cory Gardner
Chauncey the Gardener, excuse me, Cory Gardner, has deigned to allow CERTAIN Dept of Justice nominees to proceed. (Note: many have been unanimously approved by the respective committees). His is now a proponent of the Marijuana Industry, not a problem for me, except that he ran against it. Citing State's Rights as the issue. It will be interesting to see what job he gets after being a one-term senator.

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds