Colorado Bill Introduced to Prohibit Public School Teacher Strikes

21 Apr 2018 11:55 #1 by ScienceChic
How is this in any way Constitutional? Bill sponsors: Senator Bob Gardner (R) (303-866-4880) & Representative Paul Lundeen (R) (303-866-2924).

1st Amendment: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

Bill Summary
"The bill prohibits public school teachers and teacher organizations from directly or indirectly inducing, instigating, encouraging, authorizing, ratifying, or participating in a strike against any public school employer. Public school employers are prohibited from consenting to or condoning a strike and from paying a public school teacher for any day during which the public school teacher participates in a strike.

In the event of a strike or the imminent threat of a strike in violation of the bill, the public school employer is authorized to seek an injunction from the district court. Failure by a public school teacher or teacher organization to comply with the injunction constitutes contempt of court and may be punished with fines or up to 6 months in county jail, or both.

If a public school teacher is found in contempt of court for failure to comply with an injunction, the bill directs the public school employer to immediately terminate his or her employment, without a hearing. If a teacher organization is found in contempt, any collective bargaining agreement negotiated by the organization is rendered null and void."

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Apr 2018 16:34 #2 by Blazer Bob

21 Apr 2018 17:07 #3 by BaconLover
Seems to me it's laying the foundation for making Unions illegal.

I can't see this ever making it to law... But then again I didn't see Trump winning either....

22 Apr 2018 07:06 #4 by ramage
I would like to know if the teachers will be paid for their walk-out day. Also, what happen to those teachers who are not in agreement with the walk out and wish to teach that day. Also, what arrangements for child care are working parents being afforded. Also, will the schools have an extra day at the end of the year to make up the missed day. Also, in that local school boards negotiate contracts what is the point of protesting at the Capitol.
Perhaps discussion of this bill will answer some of these questions.

23 Apr 2018 17:33 #5 by ramage
From today's (4/23/18) news the fact that the school districts are cancelling school means that the teachers will be paid for their day of protest. Will they contribute to your day care costs because the schools are closed?

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds