"Obama's economy"

27 Jun 2018 16:22 - 27 Jun 2018 16:23 #21 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic "Obama's economy"

ScienceChic wrote:
Our massive debt is a problem and the tax bill that Trump wanted and Republicans passed will add greatly to that problem.

Really? would you like to make a friendly wager about tax revenue in the next two years? You do realize that the sources you get this info from have a history of terrible predictions, right?

Here's something I'm sure your wise sources are not talking about either:

Despite President Trump's tit-for-tat trade barbs, America’s CEOs are not wasting anytime in taking advantage of his tax reform plan. Over $300 billion was repatriated to the U.S. in the first quarter, according to the Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA) -- the most on record.

“U.S. firms that used to build their factories overseas in order to avoid U.S. taxes, they stopped in their tracks because of the tax bill, they are bringing all the money home,” said Kevin Hassett, chair of the president's Council of Economic Advisers, during an interview on FOX Business’ Varney & Co. in June.

a57.foxnews.com/static.foxbusiness.com/f...-chart.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

www.foxbusiness.com/markets/american-mon...ng-back-into-america

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Jun 2018 16:48 #22 by Carrie
Replied by Carrie on topic "Obama's economy"
Fox News has been bought and paid for and can hardly be called "news" and that includes the misfits they interview. If you really want news, try PBS or some of the British news channels. You're more likely to get a real picture of what is going on in the U.S.

29 Jun 2018 07:38 #23 by ramage
Replied by ramage on topic "Obama's economy"
The GDPNow model estimate for real GDP growth (seasonally adjusted annual rate) in the second quarter of 2018 is 4.5 percent on June 27, down from 4.7 percent on June 19. The nowcast of real residential investment growth declined from 2.9 percent to 0.6 percent after the existing-home sales release from the National Association of Realtors on Wednesday, June 20, and the U.S. Census Bureau's releases on new-home sales and costs on Monday, June 25. After this morning's advance releases on durable manufacturing, inventories, and international trade in goods from the Census Bureau, the nowcasts of the contributions of inventory investment and net exports to second-quarter real GDP growth changed from 0.87 percentage points and 0.39 percentage points, respectively, to 0.46 percentage points.

Source: Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta
The following user(s) said Thank You: parkcobound

05 Jul 2018 16:11 - 05 Jul 2018 16:13 #24 by DDawg
Replied by DDawg on topic "Obama's economy"
Although I started out over a year and a half ago incredibly anti Trump, I was also anti Hillary, anti Bernie etc etc. Since then, I've become a bartender on the Trump Train, although I do indeed realize when it's time to stop serving people lol.

There is no way I can perceive giving Obama credit for the locomotive economy we have going at this point. To put markets and business into a nutshell, Wall Street down to the locals are showing a lot of optimism because Trump has shaken up the system down to the roots and it's caused people to "bloom." I will say that cutting taxes with deficit spending is foolish, but until I see actual effects I don't pass judgment. I'm doing really well, and that brings me to my next point.

I haven't gotten cancer, broken any major bones or lost my job in the last twelve years. I've gotten steady pay raises and promotions, even through the recession, so money has always been steady as well. I have a wife that works full time, so there's joint income, which with the cost of living here in Colorado being pushed to the sky by nonstop transplants moving here with money, helps pay the bills. I have good running vehicles and I'm very much mechanically inclined with a fair amount of welding experience, so I take care of my own business AND make side money sometimes let alone enjoy the heck out of it. Without continuing on into oblivion, the point is I've made good choices and have had good fortune over the years, and so if I'm doing poorly, I self reflect and remedy the situation as best I can, but I try not to blame politics for the way things go close to home. It's too stressful, it's narrow minded and it's lazy. This is just opinion, but I've gotten to the point in my life in a very short time where I just can't show a lot of empathy for everyone and their cousin any more. I take care of my family, my friends and my immediate neighbors any way I can and that's the end of it.

Obama had everyone in a slump for years, now things are doing pretty good. Accept the state of affairs and learn to prosper or shut yourself in. MAGA

-Smokey

17 Jul 2018 15:56 #25 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic "Obama's economy"
What did corporate America do with that tax break? Buy record amounts of its own stock
The White House promised '70 percent' of the tax cut would go to workers. It didn't.
by Ben Popken / Jun.26.2018

The Republican tax reform package that was supposed to raise wages and spur hiring has instead funded a record stock buyback and dividend spree, benefiting investors and company executives over workers.

"More than 70 percent of this [tax cut] will be returned to workers," said White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders at a January press conference after the bill came into effect.

However, companies have instead used the extra cash to spend billions of dollars buying back their own stock, boosting the value of shares held by investors.

Stock repurchases hit nearly $190 billion in the first quarter for the S&P 500, according to preliminary results from S&P Dow Jones Indices. The last time that record was set was just before the Great Recession, when companies bought up almost $172 billion of buybacks.

White House budget projects $1 trillion deficit in 2019
BY NIV ELIS - 07/17/18

In an annual budget review, the White House’s Office of Management and Budget (OMB) estimated that new legislation enacted since the release of its February budget — alongside new projections on other spending and receipts — would add $101 billion more to the 2019 deficit, pushing it above $1 trillion.

The midyear budget review was released quietly on Friday.

The White House also projected that corporate profits would grow 13 percent over a decade, while employee compensation would surge 68 percent. The Bureau of Labor Statistics estimated that hourly wages have grown just 2.7 percent in the past year, though once inflation was taken into account the number fell to zero.

$30 billion taxpayer bailout for farmers due to his trade war? Add that to the deficit.
Can U.S. agency that brought us government cheese protect farmers from tariff fallout?
Donnelle Eller, Des Moines Register, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Published 4:11 p.m. CT April 16, 2018
A program that brought Americans government cheese four decades ago could get tapped to protect U.S. farmers if escalating tariff threats between the U.S. and China break out into a full-fledged trade war.

But U.S. lawmakers and experts question whether taxpayers would support spending billions of dollars through the Commodity Credit Corp. to purchase surplus food to support farmers.

"The best approach is not to get into a trade war to begin with, rather than figuring out how to spend billions of taxpayer dollars to bail out farmers," said Ferd Hoefner, senior strategic adviser for the National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition, a Washington, D.C., group that represents several farm group.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

19 Aug 2018 10:50 #26 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic "Obama's economy"
So it looks like no one has found what President Obama did to spur this robust economy. Maybe it was what the Fed did? Dramatically increasing the money supply. This should have spurred massive inflation according to the economic models, but the economy was so horrible it didn't. The Fed has slowly started decreasing the money supply and inflation seems to be where they want it, about 2%. So the Keynsians should be happy, creating massive debt, doubling it from 10 trillion to 20 trillion in 9 years got the economy back on track. President Trump and Paul Ryan's bipartisan budget is supposed to add another trillion in debt this year, but tax receipts are at record levels despite the tax cuts created. Personally the Trump years have been great for me, my nest egg has more than doubled in the last nine months. Construction workers and employers I talk to say their wages have been rising as more homes and businesses are being built in Denver. I have never seen as many construction cranes downtown as I have seen this year.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

20 Aug 2018 07:33 #27 by Brandon
Replied by Brandon on topic "Obama's economy"
Fard, you know JACK about economics. Keynesian economics is to spend during a recession, not to incur debt during an expansion.

20 Aug 2018 12:15 #28 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic "Obama's economy"

Brandon wrote: Fard, you know JACK about economics. Keynesian economics is to spend during a recession, not to incur debt during an expansion.

Maybe instead of insulting Fred you could tell us what policies Obama put into place that are still energizing this economy. Was it all those regulations or was it the ACA, or was the shovel ready jobs Obama admitted were not actually shovel ready (probably because of regulations)? It would be interesting to hear from someone who understands how the economy works and grows.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

20 Aug 2018 12:57 #29 by Brandon

20 Aug 2018 13:32 #30 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic "Obama's economy"
Why the middle class can’t afford life in America anymore
By Larry Getlen
June 23, 2018

After spending his days teaching AP American history and economics at the public Live Oak High School in San Jose, Calif., Matt Barry drives for Uber.

Barry’s wife, Nicole, teaches as well — they each earn $69,000, a combined salary that not long ago was enough to afford a comfortable family life. But due to the astronomical costs in his area, including real estate — a 1,500-square-foot “starter home” costs $680,000 — driving for Uber was a necessity.

In her book, author Alissa Quart lays out how America’s middle class is being wiped out by the cost of living far outpacing salaries while a slew of traditionally secure professions — like teaching — can no longer guarantee a stable enough income to clothe and feed a family.

“Middle-class life is now 30 percent more expensive than it was 20 years ago,” Quart writes, citing the costs of housing, education, health care and child care in particular. “In some cases the cost of daily life over the last 20 years has doubled.”

1 in 3 GoFundMe campaigns are for medical bills, CEO says
July 10, 2018

GoFundMe has raised more than $5 billion from 50 million donations since the website launched eight years ago—and one in every three of the site's campaigns are intended to pay medical bills, according to CEO Rob Solomon.

In a survey, the Commonwealth Fund asked working-age Americans if they felt they could pay an unexpected medical bill of $1,000 in 30 days. Nearly 50% said no.

But it really should be a deep concern for policymakers and providers"

Add to this the fact that for the first time ever, funds will need to be pulled from reserves to cover social security, plus our deficit is ballooning, and it is pretty clear that we have a looming crisis that our leaders are doing nothing to prevent.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds