74 Shot in Chicago over the Weekend

06 Aug 2018 16:04 #1 by Rick
Why isn't there the usual parade of anti-gun taking heads on MSNBC and CNN? Rahm Emmanuel is a worthless POS, that's why. Where's that crazy hag Maxine? Where is Obama, I thought this was his city? I guess there's no upside for Obama to inject himself into a real black tragedy, when there are no white shooters.

At least 74 people were shot in one of the most violent weekends of the year in Chicago, spurred by a 7-hour period early Sunday morning when 40 people were shot.

Between 3 p.m. Friday and 6 a.m. Monday morning, 11 people were killed and 63 were wounded, according to Tribune data. Their ages spanned from 11 to 62 years old, and most of those shot were attacked on the South and West sides.

www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaki...20180806-story.html#

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Aug 2018 20:24 #2 by ramage
But Rahm said that it is not happening in all the neighbors of Chicago, only in "certain ones."
I guess that means not where he lives.

07 Aug 2018 00:00 #3 by ScienceChic
Sounds to me like they need some gun restrictions passed. :2thumbsup:

Anti-gun violence protesters shut down part of Chicago freeway
Last Updated Jul 7, 2018

CHICAGO -- Thousands of anti-violence protesters marched along a Chicago interstate on Saturday, shutting down traffic in an effort to draw attention to the gun violence that's claimed hundreds of lives in some of the city's poorest neighborhoods and pressure public officials to do more to stop it.

Toward the front of the march, Rev. Michael Pfleger, who organized the protest, Chicago police Supt. Eddie Johnson and the Rev. Jesse Jackson linked arms.

Chicago police said the city had 252 homicides and 1,100 shootings in the first six months of this year, a decrease from the same period last year. But those crimes have been heavily concentrated in predominantly black, low-income neighborhoods.

Last year, young men on the city's South and West Sides told CBS News
how easy it is to obtain illegal guns, and why many never leave their homes without one.

Chicago politicians to Trump: Less talk, more action on gun violence
Aamer Madhani, USA TODAY
Published 11:56 a.m. ET March 1, 2017

CHICAGO — After President Trump assailed violence in Chicago during his first major address to Congress, the city’s mayor offered a blunt response: More action and less talk on the issue from the president would be helpful.

Trump has hammered repeatedly at Chicago’s murder rate – the city tallied more murders than New York and Los Angeles combined last year – and during his Tuesday address he described the shootings and killings in the nation’s third largest city as something “not acceptable in our society.”

But once again, Trump didn’t offer any specifics on how he would go about fixing Chicago’s violence problem.

Mayor Rahm Emanuel has met in recent weeks with White House Chief of Staff Reince Priebus and Trump’s son-in-law and adviser Jared Kushner to talk about the violence. The mayor has called on Trump to push for more federal gun prosecutions in the city, increase the number of federal ATF agents in Chicago, and boost funding for mentoring, after-school and summer jobs programs for young people in some of Chicago’s most violence-plagued neighborhoods.

There has been bipartisan passed legislation to address one aspect of this problem

Interestingly a Google search shows that the NRA is against this. Hmm.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
Attachments:

07 Aug 2018 07:59 - 07 Aug 2018 10:14 #4 by ramage
From Chicagomag.com Bernstein and Isackson published 12/13/2011
"Gangs and Politicians in Chicago: An Unholy Alliance
LAWBREAKERS, LAWMAKERS: In some parts of Chicago, violent street gangs and pols quietly trade money and favors for mutual gain. The thugs flourish, the elected officials thrive—and you lose. A special report."

An article 6+ years but old but sorry to say, still applicable.

www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/Janu...-An-Unholy-Alliance/

07 Aug 2018 10:28 #5 by ScienceChic
Please don't forget to copy and paste the links to your articles please!

The influence that money buys, especially from criminal organizations/mob/mafia, with politicians is a huge problem in our politics, would you not agree? With the advent of Citizens United and the U.S. Treasury allowing organizations to hide their donor lists, this has only gotten worse with all the dark money going into campaigns.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
Attachments:

07 Aug 2018 14:04 #6 by Rick
I predict Rahm gets his ass handed to him in November... Chicago voters can't be that stupid.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

19 Aug 2018 11:06 #7 by FredHayek

Rick wrote: I predict Rahm gets his ass handed to him in November... Chicago voters can't be that stupid.

I doubt that happens. The political machine in Chicago is very powerful. The anti-gunners want to blame lax gun laws in Indiana for the high crime rate, but why doesn't Indiana have a murder rate on par with Chicago? And comparing cities, how was NYC able to get their gun violence rate down but Chicago is still free flowing? Drugs maybe? I suspect the drug territories in places like NYC and Denver are firmly established but Chicago's aren't. So it is really less about firearms and more about unstable drug markets. Time to legalize drugs in Illinois?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.224 seconds