Happy President's Day!

19 Feb 2019 14:16 #11 by Pony Soldier
Replied by Pony Soldier on topic Happy President's Day!
Treason is a crime committed against a country that you are a subject of. When the southern states seceded, they were no longer subject to the United States. Why was Jefferson Davis never tried for treason?

As to the reason for the civil war, well, the victors get to write the history books. But, if it was all about slavery, why then did Lincoln, in his inaugural address say “I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so.”?

Try this article on for size and get back to me:

medium.com/@jonathanusa/everything-you-k...s-wrong-9e94f0118269

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Feb 2019 14:45 #12 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic Happy President's Day!

towermonkey wrote: Treason is a crime committed against a country that you are a subject of. When the southern states seceded, they were no longer subject to the United States. Why was Jefferson Davis never tried for treason?

As to the reason for the civil war, well, the victors get to write the history books. But, if it was all about slavery, why then did Lincoln, in his inaugural address say “I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so.”?

Try this article on for size and get back to me:

medium.com/@jonathanusa/everything-you-k...s-wrong-9e94f0118269

www.forbes.com/sites/theodorecasey/2017/...nymore/#5b1461349ad8

It is a glorified blogging twitter site...…...NOT impressed with your sourcing....would it be better to CONTRIBUTE money to preserve civil war sites, rather than purchase membership
to a blogging site? JMO

19 Feb 2019 14:59 #13 by Pony Soldier
As I expected... just, never mind. It was a waste of time to try and have a discussion about this. I knew it, but tried anyway.

19 Feb 2019 16:10 #14 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Happy President's Day!
Abraham Lincoln did move the country more from being an assemblage of states to a nation, good or bad. And since this move has become stronger. There are still a number of ways states rights have shown themselves. Colorado and other states being allowed to sell marijuana in defiance of federal laws banning the practice. Thankfully President Obama chose to tell his justice department to stand down in this case. I like the idea of individual states being allowed to test out different ideas, sometimes as a regional thing that may never expand beyond their own borders, and sometimes, like MJ again, seeing Colorado and Washington succeed with retail marijuana sales before other states legalize it.

I do think it was important for the US to become a nation, especially in the 20th Century. I cannot imagine a confederation of states defeating Hitler and Japan. It would also be much more difficult to hash out the highway system without a strong federal presence. And a federal gasoline tax to pay for it.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

19 Feb 2019 16:16 #15 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Happy President's Day!
So here's how it works TM, you don't get to refuse to read the one link I provided, then expect others to read yours (just as long if not longer) and get all huffy saying "It was a waste of time to try and have a discussion about this. I knew it, but tried anyway." A discussion involves effort by all parties.

While not a deep scholar on the Civil War, I've read a little of other points of views on the cause of the war, events leading up to it, etc. No, history is never as simple as presented in grade school or even high school because they don't have the time to spend on it in-depth that is required.

However, it still boils down to the southern states rescinded the Constitution first by seceding (which in my mind is treason), they were the first ones to fire the shots, and you cannot deny that the institution of slavery didn't figure prominently in the cause. Do you honestly think we shouldn't have tried to free the slaves and give them all the same rights as we enjoy today?

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

19 Feb 2019 17:00 #16 by Pony Soldier
I tend to refuse to read links after I've been told that my ancestors were "traitors to the United States of America and became so in order to protect and defend evil human rights abuses for the sake of greed, sloth, and avarice." People starting from that bigotry are not likely to post thoughtful articles.

19 Feb 2019 17:06 #17 by Brandon
Replied by Brandon on topic Happy President's Day!

towermonkey wrote: I tend to refuse to read links after I've been told that my ancestors were "traitors to the United States of America and became so in order to protect and defend evil human rights abuses for the sake of greed, sloth, and avarice." People starting from that bigotry are not likely to post thoughtful articles.

She posted the link before informing you about your ancestors. Next excuse?

19 Feb 2019 17:35 #18 by Pony Soldier
Well, to be honest, I was replying to homeagain's post, not SC's - look at the timestamps. I hadn't even seen SC's post with the link until after she said I didn't read her links.

Slavery was an abomination (and still is) but was not the primary cause of the Civil War. Tariffs were. Slavery was legal in the northern states for longer than it was in the south, but not by the choice of the south.

19 Feb 2019 17:45 #19 by homeagain

towermonkey wrote: Well, to be honest, I was replying to homeagain's post, not SC's - look at the timestamps. I hadn't even seen SC's post with the link until after she said I didn't read her links.

Slavery was an abomination (and still is) but was not the primary cause of the Civil War. Tariffs were. Slavery was legal in the northern states for longer than it was in the south, but not by the choice of the south.

MY link was posted first BEFORE I posted that it was not just my opinion.....show me a credible link (not a blog) that states your facts as you have laid them out....I WILL be open
to that source.....and perhaps we COULD have an earnest exchange. :unsure:

19 Feb 2019 18:07 #20 by homeagain
www.essentialcivilwarcurriculum.com/tari...rican-civil-war.html

I HAVE A HEADACHE.....this is long and laborious, but I think it answers the question. IF I
read it correctly......tariffs were secondary concern.

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds