You want the truth. You can't handle the truth!!

24 Feb 2019 14:41 #1 by Blazer Bob
...."In 1992, Caddell told the Los Angeles Times:

For the last 25 years, the politicians in this country have presided over a decline, and it is impossible for them to acknowledge it. Because to change, to turn the country toward what has to be done, they would first have to tell the truth. And to do that would be to risk their own power, because, in a democracy, that means standing up and saying, “We have failed.” And the track record of people who do that is not very good. So the Democratic Party lives a lie, the Washington Establishment lives a lie: “Nothing’s really wrong.”"...

..."In 2015, Caddell was wary of Donald Trump’s temperament. But, as he told the New Yorker regarding the unlikely candidate, “he (Trump) wasn’t the best Smith, but he was the ONLY Smith.” "

www.city-journal.org/pat-caddell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Feb 2019 13:03 #2 by FredHayek
I always liked Pat Caddel, one of the last of the free thinking pundits, so I was saddened to see him die this year. Ironically I was watching "West Wing" the other night, a very well written series about the White House with a leftist slant and Pat was one of the writers for that episode.
I do think all politicians try to pretend they do more than they actually accomplish. And I do think they try to cover up the future economic catastrophe coming down the road. I had hoped that President Trump would find a way to cut spending but alas too many people are more concerned about their pork and not concerned about the debt left to future generations. And this current crop of presidential candidates are promising even more, instead of a chicken in every pot, they are promising a college education for everyone and free medical care. Much more money than a barnyard of chickens.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

26 Feb 2019 07:56 #3 by homeagain

FredHayek wrote: I always liked Pat Caddel, one of the last of the free thinking pundits, so I was saddened to see him die this year. Ironically I was watching "West Wing" the other night, a very well written series about the White House with a leftist slant and Pat was one of the writers for that episode.
I do think all politicians try to pretend they do more than they actually accomplish. And I do think they try to cover up the future economic catastrophe coming down the road. I had hoped that President Trump would find a way to cut spending but alas too many people are more concerned about their pork and not concerned about the debt left to future generations. And this current crop of presidential candidates are promising even more, instead of a chicken in every pot, they are promising a college education for everyone and free medical care. Much more money than a barnyard of chickens.

bolded.....AGAIN...….we agree on a premise. Yes, the apparent list (so far)looks abysmal. NOT seeing anyone who I can get behind.....but, the timeline is very early.

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds