Rebuilding Notre Dame

17 Apr 2019 14:00 #1 by Rick
Rebuilding Notre Dame was created by Rick

But for some people in France, Notre Dame has also served as a deep-seated symbol of resentment, a monument to a deeply flawed institution and an idealized Christian European France that arguably never existed in the first place. “The building was so overburdened with meaning that its burning feels like an act of liberation,” says Patricio del Real, an architecture historian at Harvard University. If nothing else, the cathedral has been viewed by some as a stodgy reminder of “the old city — the embodiment of the Paris of stone and faith — just as the Eiffel Tower exemplifies the Paris of modernity, joie de vivre and change,” Michael Kimmelmann wrote for the New York Times.

www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-fea...e-whats-next-822743/

Of course there is no way to rebuild this beautiful structure in a way that would preserve it's original meaning, and in this day and age too many would not want that anyway. Maybe they can build the tower out of recycled waste, paint it in rainbow colors with every symbol known to man that would include every religion, sexual orientation, and every possible gender, real or imagined. Of course the people who took centuries to build it will be spinning in their graves, but who cares, right?

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Apr 2019 15:55 #2 by Brandon
Replied by Brandon on topic Rebuilding Notre Dame

Rick wrote: Maybe they can build the tower out of recycled waste, paint it in rainbow colors with every symbol known to man that would include every religion, sexual orientation, and every possible gender, real or imagined.

Which logical fallacy dominates here? Is this more of a false dichotomy or more of a straw man?

18 Apr 2019 06:54 #3 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Rebuilding Notre Dame
My small town in Ohio was founded by Catholic German settlers in the 1820's next to German Protestant communities. These settlers were very proud of what they had carved out of the wilderness and put up two spires that could be seen from miles away. The church is still quite beautiful over a century later. Have to think Paris feels the same about Notre Dame. Hundreds of years ago building such a monument, these cathedrals often took centuries to finish, I hope to visit this rebuilt monument . I also want to revisit the small town church with two steeples my parents were married in.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds