''I will RESPECT the autonomy and dignity of my patients''

20 Apr 2019 11:59 #1 by homeagain
www.kevinmd.com/blog/2018/09/the-impact-...ic-oath-in-2018.html

The above topic heading is a NEW addition.....THAT means listen to your self advocating patient.....(hard to find these days )

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Apr 2019 10:52 #2 by FredHayek
You can find them or sometimes you have to train them. My GP is good right now, my wife is having to train her new Neurologist. My dad has a concierge doctor that is very good at listening and checking up on him. He handles a lot of palliative care patients and is quite reasonable.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

22 Apr 2019 12:16 #3 by Rick
The question is, will this problem get better or worse if and when we are all forced to lose our insurance and go to a government run single payer system?

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

22 Apr 2019 16:45 #4 by homeagain
I am on Medicare......in a RURAL community. The reason for my Post is this....THIS area is
NOT accustom to self advocating patients, the general populace views the doctor as the "father knows best" scenario. Having come from the front range AND being an individual who asks questions and EXPECTS a partnership in my health, that HAS NOT been my
experience. MEDICAL AID IS DYING(MAID) Is NOT something they embrace or legal adhere to......and it is ILLEGAL to forbid doctors to assist patients (outside of a hospital) IF those doctors have medical affiliations with the hospital..... meaning privileges at that hospital.

YET THE ADMINSTRATORS RE ENFORCING THAT EDICT......it is beyond frustrated and
I have spent an entire year fighting the system......I am an advocate for Compassions and Choices and have encountered a BRICK WALL......the front range is FAR ADVANCED in this field and it is one of the things I see as a void.....I have since found a concierge N.P.
who is a functional integrated practice...... took 4 years and ALOT of OMG moments of' are you friggin' kidding me......just a vent to allow you a view into what OTHERS have to deal with.....consider yourself blessed.

22 Apr 2019 17:28 #5 by FredHayek
Our concierge left Kaiser because they were overwhelmed there. They wanted more one on one contact with patients and getting to know them. Less assembly line medicine. And our GP before that got out of medicine because he refused to meet the quotas set up by the organization he had sold his partnership to. I am worried that the promised "Medicare For All" will be more of the same. Luckily I doubt they will eliminate the private insurance option for those who have the money or good healthcare benefits with their jobs.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

23 Apr 2019 14:49 #6 by Rick

homeagain wrote: I am on Medicare......in a RURAL community. The reason for my Post is this....THIS area is
NOT accustom to self advocating patients, the general populace views the doctor as the "father knows best" scenario. Having come from the front range AND being an individual who asks questions and EXPECTS a partnership in my health, that HAS NOT been my
experience. MEDICAL AID IS DYING(MAID) Is NOT something they embrace or legal adhere to......and it is ILLEGAL to forbid doctors to assist patients (outside of a hospital) IF those doctors have medical affiliations with the hospital..... meaning privileges at that hospital.

I have spent an entire year fighting the system......I am an advocate for Compassions and Choices and have encountered a BRICK WALL......the front range is FAR ADVANCED in this field and it is one of the things I see as a void.....I have since found a concierge N.P.
who is a functional integrated practice...... took 4 years and ALOT of OMG moments of' are you friggin' kidding me......just a vent to allow you a view into what OTHERS have to deal with.....consider yourself blessed.

Using your common sense, do you think the problems you are having now would get better, worse, or stay the same when the entire population is on Medicare? Remember, you are part of the 44 million who are on Medicare now (about 15% of the population)... so unless you think this government system would get better when over 300 million are forced to use Medicare, I'm guessing your problems will be compounded.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

24 Apr 2019 09:23 #7 by homeagain

Rick wrote:

homeagain wrote: I am on Medicare......in a RURAL community. The reason for my Post is this....THIS area is

Using your common sense, do you think the problems you are having now would get better, worse, or stay the same when the entire population is on Medicare? Remember, you are part of the 44 million who are on Medicare now (about 15% of the population)... so unless you think this government system would get better when over 300 million are forced to use Medicare, I'm guessing your problems will be compounded.

[/b]

bolded......my understanding is there is a NEW LAW...working its way thru the system.....dr.
will be payed (Medicare) on how their numbers reflect a HEALTHY patient who has NOT been readmitted or have reoccurring issues...in other words "measure twice,cut ONCE''
TO USE A CARPENTER PHRASE. thereby reducing costs and time consuming REVISITS
.It will be interesting to see how that works out. The other side to this issue is this.....BURNOUT within the medical field (just as the previous post indicated)docs are looking at concierge practice with a keener eye and will transition to THAT paradigm....sooner rather than later.....jmo

24 Apr 2019 11:56 #8 by Rick
My question primarily concerns the numbers. If only 15% of the population is being treated by Medicare, what happens when that percentage gets closer to 100% of the population (minus the 1% who will never have to use government care)? We can't seem to take care of 9 million vets under the VA system, so how would a future government be successful in coordinating good care to over 300 million people when it hasn't been able to properly care for a fraction of that number? Where is the precedent?

This should probably go into my "questions that won't be answered" thread, but this is a relevant thread for it.

George Orwell

24 Apr 2019 14:16 #9 by homeagain
It WON'T be successful, since the fubar has MANY moving parts that are sucking $$$$ like
there is no tomorrow.....how to fix the greed has always been the problem.....pharmco is
the PRIMARY perpetrator of this paradigm jmo

25 Apr 2019 12:57 #10 by Rick

homeagain wrote: It WON'T be successful, since the fubar has MANY moving parts that are sucking $$$$ like
there is no tomorrow.....how to fix the greed has always been the problem.....pharmco is
the PRIMARY perpetrator of this paradigm jmo

Well I tried to ask a straight forward question, but again, a dodge.

I realize drug prices are high, but that has nothing to do with my basic question about the numbers. If Medicare is currently coving 15% of the population and there are lots of issues with costs and service, how much worse will it get if Bernie and others get the Medicare for all that they say will be the cure to our healthcare problem? 15% to over 90% of the population seems like an impossible task for our bloated and inept government. Am I wrong?

George Orwell

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds