Colorado voters leaning toward approving the elimination of state spending caps

20 Aug 2019 22:51 #1 by ScienceChic
Interesting. I thought TABOR was one that would never have a chance of being eliminated.

Colorado voters leaning toward approving the elimination of state spending caps under TABOR, poll finds
Jesse Paul, The Colorado Sun @jesseapaul | August 14, 2019

Colorado voters are leaning toward approving the elimination of state spending caps under the Taxpayer’s Bill of Rights in November’s election, according to a new poll. But supporters of the ballot question might not want to celebrate quite yet.

A survey conducted by Republican firm Magellan Strategies found that 54% of likely 2019 general election voters intend to approve Proposition CC, while 30% said they were going to reject the question. And 15% said they were undecided.

The telephone and online survey of 486 likely 2019 voters was conducted between Aug. 5 and 7. The projected outcome of the ballot question was within the poll’s 4.5% margin of error.

But Flaherty cautions that, typically, support for ballot measures needs to begin polling in the high 50% or 60% range to be successful, and if people don’t understand the question they could reject it or simply not cast a vote.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Aug 2019 11:32 #2 by FredHayek
Colorado voters supporting less direct democracy! "We can't be trusted with the vote on new taxes!" "We defer to our elected legislators!" "Tax away please!" We work 114 days a year to feed government, we want it to go to 150 days a year!

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

21 Aug 2019 12:29 #3 by Brandon

FredHayek wrote: Colorado voters supporting less direct democracy! "We can't be trusted with the vote on new taxes!" "We defer to our elected legislators!" "Tax away please!" We work 114 days a year to feed government, we want it to go to 150 days a year!

Shriek of outrage duly noted. However, direct democracy and spending on public goods don't work well together.

21 Aug 2019 17:19 #4 by FredHayek

Brandon wrote:

FredHayek wrote: Colorado voters supporting less direct democracy! "We can't be trusted with the vote on new taxes!" "We defer to our elected legislators!" "Tax away please!" We work 114 days a year to feed government, we want it to go to 150 days a year!

Shriek of outrage duly noted. However, direct democracy and spending on public goods don't work well together.

Did you mean to say the crummy voters won't hand over the money to fund my desires?
You remind me of the people who move to Colorado from high tax states like California, "We love what they are doing, but we just can't afford to live there anymore because the taxes are so high."

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

22 Aug 2019 07:31 - 22 Aug 2019 07:33 #5 by Brandon

FredHayek wrote: Did you mean to say the crummy voters won't hand over the money to fund my desires?

No. I said exactly what I meant to.

FredHayek wrote: You remind me of the people who move to Colorado from high tax states like California, "We love what they are doing, but we just can't afford to live there anymore because the taxes are so high."

If I thought taxes should be lower, would I make the argument that direct democracy doesn't adequately fund public goods?

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds