stumping for the south.....

17 Nov 2019 06:56 #1 by homeagain
www.foxnews.com/politics/louisiana-gover...dwards-eddie-rispone

ANOTHER state turns ....the kings command of the competition is NOT working. Oh how sad.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Nov 2019 09:39 #2 by homeagain
www.cnn.com/2019/11/17/politics/john-bel...-election/index.html

Black lives matter....the king is privileged,PERCEIVED AS PREJUDICE, and unprincipled.
This election cycle COULD be very interesting with the LBGT group and people of color, as the
stand out sector. Pete is doing better than expected and I am observing that trend with a KEEN
eye......the king's confidence just MIGHT be misplaced. jmo

17 Nov 2019 15:46 #3 by FredHayek
Slow your roll. Sometimes it is all about the candidates. In Kentucky, the governor wasn't well liked and lost a close battle to a Dem. But in other statewide races, the Republicans did very well, 60-40. Same story in Louisiana, while other Republicans won easily, the incumbent Democrat governor won. I think you would be foolish to think Sanders or Warren would win Louisiana or Kentucky by 20 points next year based on these contests, remember all elections are local.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

18 Nov 2019 07:02 #4 by homeagain
[quote="FredHayek" post=362475]Slow your roll. Sometimes it is all about the candidates. In Kentucky, the governor wasn't well liked and lost a close battle to a Dem. But in other statewide races, the Republicans did very well, 60-40. Same story in Louisiana, while other Republicans won easily, the incumbent Democrat governor won. I think you would be foolish to think Sanders or Warren would win Louisiana or Kentucky by 20 points next year based on these contests, remember all elections are local.[/quote]

www.businessinsider.com/louisiana-defeat...doning-trump-2019-11

Guess we will wait for it.........'HUMAN BUG REPELLENT'......THAT is such a special saying.

18 Nov 2019 10:14 #5 by Blazer Bob

homeagain wrote:

Guess we will wait for it.........'HUMAN BUG REPELLENT'......THAT is such a special saying.

Glad to see you are maintaining your objectivity. :P

18 Nov 2019 10:23 #6 by ScienceChic
I see three lessons here. One is, as FH said, that it's about the candidates; but the other is how the country is feeling about Republicans in office overall. The Louisiana Dem Gov who just won is an anti-abortion/ conservative Democrat which tells me that:
  1. People will vote for those who have policies they support. Political parties should not force their individual members to adhere to a national party platform - it's an ill-fitting box that does not serve the disparate communities of this nation.
  2. People are fed up with Trump and his extremism and will vote for a Dem over a Republican who aligns themselves with Trump so long as that Dem is still mostly in line with their values - even in a red state.
  3. Extremism is not a winner. Moderate candidates are still preferred.

A growing number of Republicans in Congress have announced plans to retire or simply not run for office when their term is up next year. That's quite the canary in the coal mine. This past weekend, Rep. Stefanik's opponent Tedra Cobb raised $1M dollars in 2 days time after Stefanik's stunt in the impeachment hearings willfully violating the rules of the hearings.

Both Pelosi and Obama have spoken out cautioning candidates about pushing policies that are not in line with what the majority of the country wants. It's a shot across the bow to Sanders, Warren, and The Squad that they are too far left. And they are. Biden, Klobuchar, and Bennett are far more sound candidates who are likely to win because Independents and moderates are sick of Trump and anyone who defends him, but they aren't bought into things like open borders, M4A, the Green New Deal, across-the-board college debt forgiveness or anything else that doesn't make sense fiscally. Our country is in a huge hole thanks to Republican tax cuts and other legislation that favors the rich and corporations, and we need to address that.

Not spoken of nearly as much is that we also need to start addressing climate change mitigation and Republicans in Congress are still in the dark ages of denial on this topic, and out of touch with the majority of the country who are already facing the effects of climate change, so they need to be voted out if we're going to get anything effective done on that front.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

18 Nov 2019 10:39 #7 by FredHayek
Retiring legislators always gets a lot of press before elections but it normally is about 10%. Some people crave the power and want to be in Congress forever and others can't wait to leave.
But to an earlier point about big tents, both parties radical wings would do well to tone down the hatred to other party members who don't believe in the platform 100%. Few Americans are 100% Republican or Democrat, you might just make them decide to switch.

And one more point, President Obama asked the party faithful that it might make more sense to take small steps versus overturning the system. I think Warren and Sanders radical ideas are going to push moderate Democrats to vote for Trump or to stay home. Might be better for the Left to use the Joe Biden model of improving ACA rather than eliminating private healthcare insurance.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds