Colorado scores an A from economists for Polis' pandemic response

12 May 2020 13:45 #1 by ScienceChic
So did these economists simply give this designation because Polis started re-opening businesses, or did they actually look deeper into the economic effects of the coronavirus and how states will weather it? I have a feeling it's simply the former, which is superficial and hollow.

What I haven't seen anyone discuss is the effect of all the costs of people spending weeks in the hospitals. With so many losing their jobs, they are losing access to the healthcare plans they had thanks to being employed (yes, I know COBRA exists, I was briefly on it once, it was not cheap), and many others will not be able to afford the charges.

Colorado scores an A from economists for Polis' pandemic response
Joey Bunch, Colorado Politics | May 4, 2020

Colorado Gov. Jared Polis is doing a great job responding to the coronavirus, according to experts you couldn't exactly describe as liberal boosters.

The state got an A rating from the Committee to Unleash Prosperity, according to editorial Monday in the Wall Street Journal. The rating was the work of iconic conservative economist Art Laffer, Steve Moore of the Heritage Foundation, market analyst Phil Kerpen and journalist John Fund.

Polis was asked about the grade from the conservative group at his Monday coronavirus briefing.

"I don't think it's ever about conservative or liberal, Republican or Democrat," he said. "We're all in this together, every governor, Republican or Democrat, every member of Congress is working hard together to figure this out.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 May 2020 14:51 #2 by FredHayek
Global pandemics of this magnitude are luckily not very common so government and business don't have a lot of experience handling it. It was probably a good idea to minimize contact for a couple months and lockdown those most at risk. 

I think the governor and businesses are following a slow opening which is probably smart. Our Kaiser Permante office is reopening so children can get their vaccines and other people can get preventive care they need for issues other than Covid-19.
I still worry about how hard these shutdowns will affect Park County, Bailey Day and the Burro Races are already cancelled. Camping will be allowed again so hopefully that helps to bring some cash up to South Park. Dispersed camping would seem to be much safer than crowded beaches or Denver city parks. Fingers crossed that we have seen the worst of the pandemic and hope that this generation does a better job stopping the feared Fall return of Coronavirus. 

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

12 May 2020 15:09 #3 by ScienceChic
I just listened in on a call organized by the Park County CSU Extension and hosted by Commissioner Ray Douglass and Sheriff Tom McGraw where one participant asked why are campgrounds opening up when the Governor has told people not to travel more than 10 miles except for essential travel? McGraw replied that he understands being out in nature means you have a lower risk of catching the virus (and conversely of passing it to someone else) than being in a restaurant, but that the problem is that people don't just come up to camp and then go home, they come up, do their shopping for supplies in local stores, and then go out camping, thereby exposing Park County residents to the virus.

County officials are worried, and hoping, that anyone coming to ParkCo doesn't shop after arriving, for the sake of the health of county residents. I'm sure they understand that that is not a popular position with local businesses, and perhaps some of those business owners also worry about that risk as well while simultaneously fretting about making enough to cover business and living expenses.

This is our new normal, we won't have a vaccine for until later in 2021 according to Dr. Fauci's testimony before the Senate today, so the public and businesses have to figure out how we can most safely re-open for business without causing another wave, and more economic hardship.

Wear your masks and practice social distancing, was Sheriff McGraw's lecture. The better we all comply, the faster we get through this all together.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

12 May 2020 21:03 #4 by ramage
Not quite sure whether this statement should be in the "are you kidding me?" or  " do you have no clue" category "

but that the problem is that people don't just come up to camp and then go home, they come up, do their shopping for supplies in local stores, and then go out camping, thereby exposing Park County residents to the virus.

Ergo, those nurses and other medical care providers who work in the hospitals in Denver and reside her in NE Park County are not exposing P.C. residents to the virus?

Not at all, they come out of Denver Health, stop at the K/S or Safeway, the  "beverage" store, the gas station and then proceed to their domicile.   Not to worry, even though they have been dealing with Covid-19 patients for their entire shift. 
Why, well, they are JeffCo  and ParkCo residents NOT tourists, therefore they have immunity. (sarcasm).

13 May 2020 08:21 #5 by FredHayek
Hopefully social distancing, better hygiene, and mask wearing will reduce contact between downstream people and locals. I was just catching up on the Flume and their favorite local spots issue and have to wonder how many of those businesses won't survive a pandemic Summer. 

13 May 2020 09:39 #6 by Pony Soldier
If all of that is working, why this?

www.cnbc.com/2020/05/06/ny-gov-cuomo-say...le-staying-home.html

Most new Covid-19 hospitalizations in New York state are from people who were staying home and not
venturing much outside, a “shocking” finding, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said
Wednesday.  

13 May 2020 13:31 #7 by FredHayek
Probably hurts the stay at home orders if you force infected patients back into senior living Governor Cuomo did. Now it looks like Pennsylvania did the same thing. 
Some of the elected leaders are dangerous. 

13 May 2020 13:45 #8 by hillfarmer
Your response made me go check news sources.  There is no good answer when your hospitals rehab facilities are overwhelmed.  Nursing homes typically provide rehab facilities and the New York process is to send patients who are recovering to facilities which can handle that kind of rehab..Perhaps some of the nursing homes have had to accept patients they did not feel they could handle, but there is no evidence of that - just a lot of hand waving.  Cuomo and many other elected leaders are doing an outstanding job under very difficult circumstances.

13 May 2020 19:36 #9 by Pony Soldier
Cuomo is doing an outstanding job?   Really????   Oh man!  That's rich!

13 May 2020 22:18 #10 by Blazer Bob
OT

I wish you guys would get different icons!!!

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds