What is the Democrat Plan?

27 Jun 2020 09:17 #1 by Rick
I would ask what Biden's plan is, but I don't think he's been given that information yet and if so hasn't been able to memorize much of it.

What plan you say? Well lets just start with the economy and later we can address the other big issues. What exactly needs to be done, according to Democrats? Would they raise taxes, increase regulations, write more checks to people they think deserve them?

I read and watch a lot of what the left is outraged about on a daily basis but I haven't seen much at all about the grand plan that's going to help make Americans happy, safe, and prosperous. Trump was very clear about what he wanted to get accomplished and how he would do it back in 2016, but I'm not seeing the media probing Democrats or Biden about what should be done to fire up the economy in a post Trump country.

So if you don't know what their plan is, what should it be in your opinion? Remember, these questions are about what the Democrats would or should do, they have nothing to do with Trump and I'm not interested in the opinions of journalists you agree with. Lets just talk about economic solutions you think make good sense and then we can discuss. Hope you all have a fun and safe weekend.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Jun 2020 09:54 #2 by homeagain
Let me turn that back to U. When the great recession hit and O stepped into one hot mess....what happened? Didn't the gov have to execute things on the fly and HOPE to hell it worked? Didn't it take an
herculean effort 24/7 to snatch us from a devastating, dire DEPRESSION? Like turning the Titanic around,
it was painstakingly SLOW and laborious and yet success was a long time coming....ultimately,MANY souls
perished and the failures of the "WHITE STAR LINES" (who cut corners and was not honorable) was revealed.

SAME scenario.....there is NO plan...not from the R's or the D's....we are encountering a REDO of our
government.

27 Jun 2020 10:07 #3 by FredHayek
Look at the current urban trouble spots. Democrats have run those communities for decades and they have only seen slight improvement in some areas but others like Baltimore and Detroit continue to get worse.
They don't really want to make the situation better. Right now they have a good thing, 90 percent of African Americans vote for Democrats. Those districts are virtual locks. The congressmen there hold their seats for decades.

But back to Biden. His messaging is simple, disagree with Trump on most issues. He did divert from this a little bit, he doesn't want to defund police. He knows the police union is very powerful. Interesting article in the WSJ yesterday about the new anti-police bills The House Democrats have written one that they know will fail to pass the Senate. This will make their voters think they are doing something about police brutality. The Democrats in the Senate have voted to stop any debate on the Senate police brutality bill in the Senate written by Senator Scott. Why? Maybe because they don't want it to be merged with the House version?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

27 Jun 2020 10:39 #4 by Pony Soldier

homeagain wrote: Let me turn that back to U. When the great recession hit and O stepped into one hot mess....what happened? Didn't the gov have to execute things on the fly and HOPE to hell it worked? Didn't it take an
herculean effort 24/7 to snatch us from a devastating, dire DEPRESSION? Like turning the Titanic around,
it was painstakingly SLOW and laborious and yet success was a long time coming....ultimately,MANY souls
perished and the failures of the "WHITE STAR LINES" (who cut corners and was not honorable) was revealed.

SAME scenario.....there is NO plan...not from the R's or the D's....we are encountering a REDO of our
government.

Herculean effort?? What did the Obama administration do? Can you name anything specific?

27 Jun 2020 13:43 #5 by homeagain

Pony Soldier wrote:

homeagain wrote: Let me turn that back to U. When the great recession hit and O stepped into one hot mess....what happened? Didn't the gov have to execute things on the fly and HOPE to hell it worked? Didn't it take an

government.

Herculean effort?? What did the Obama administration do? Can you name anything specific?

HERE'S the Herculean effort...O maintained the major adjustments till the end of his 2nd term.....

Then-Fed Chair Ben Bernanke explained during November 2012 several of the economic headwinds that slowed the recovery:

The housing sector did not rebound, as was the case in prior recession recoveries, as the sector was severely damaged during the crisis. Millions of foreclosures had created a large surplus of properties and consumers were paying down their debts rather than purchasing homes.
Credit for borrowing and spending by individuals (or investing by corporations) was not readily available as banks paid down their debts.
Restrained government spending following initial stimulus efforts (i.e., austerity) was not sufficient to offset private sector weaknesses.[2]

For example, U.S. federal spending rose from 19.1% GDP in fiscal year (FY) 2007 to 24.4% GDP in FY2009 (the last year budgeted by President Bush) before falling towards to 20.4% GDP in 2014, closer to the historical average. In dollar terms, federal spending was actually higher in 2009 than in 2014, despite a historical trend of a roughly 5% annual increase. This reduced real GDP growth by approximately 0.5% per quarter on average between Q3 2010 and Q2 2014.[89] Both households and government practicing austerity at the same time was a recipe for a slow recovery.[2]

Several key economic variables (e.g., Job level, real GDP per capita, stock market, and household net worth) hit their low point (trough) in 2009 or 2010, after which they began to turn upward, recovering to pre-recession (2007) levels between late 2012 and May 2014 (close to Reinhart's prediction), which marked the recovery of all jobs lost during the recession.[90][91][92][93] Real median household income fell to a trough of $53,331 in 2012, but recovered to an all-time high of $59,039 by 2016.[94] However, the gains during the recovery were very unevenly distributed. Economist Emmanuel Saez wrote in June 2016 that the top 1% of families captured 52% of the total real income (GDP) growth per family from 2009-2015. The gains were more evenly distributed after the tax increases in 2013 on higher-income earners.[95] According to the Federal Reserve, median family net worth had peaked at about $140,000 in 2007, fell to a low point of $84,000 in 2013, and only partially recovered to $97,000 by 2016. Middle-class families had much of their wealth in housing, driving much of the decline when the housing bubble burst.[64]

Healthcare costs in the United States slowed in the period after the Great Recession (2008–2012). A decrease in inflation and in the number of hospital stays per population drove a reduction in the rate of growth in aggregate hospital costs at this time. Growth slowed most for surgical stays and least for maternal and neonatal stays.[96]

President Obama declared the bailout measures started under the Bush Administration and continued during his Administration as completed and mostly profitable as of December 2014.[11] As of January 2018, bailout funds had been fully recovered by the government, when interest on loans is taken into consideration. A total of $626B was invested, loaned, or granted due to various bailout measures, while $390B had been returned to the Treasury. The Treasury had earned another $323B in interest on bailout loans, resulting in an $87B profit.[97]

27 Jun 2020 16:02 #6 by Pony Soldier
There’s a lot of info there but the only thing I can pull out of that that can be attributed to Obama is that he carried through on Bush’s bailout scheme. Cash for clunkers was a joke. Shovel ready jobs was a punchline in a joke he made for crying out loud. Basically we drifted for 8 years. There was no Herculean effort on the part of the Obama administration other than to screw up Americans health care and fund the mullahs. Oh, and train and arm ISIS...

27 Jun 2020 16:25 #7 by homeagain

Pony Soldier wrote:

herculean effort 24/7 to snatch us from a devastating, dire DEPRESSION?
Like turning the Titanic around,

government.

bolded....NOTICE I stated GOVERNMENT,the R' were NOT noticing the derivative debacle until
it was "the oncoming iceberg"...THEN the hair on fire kicked in....I watched the whole sad saga
in real time as ING and others went down in flames..O overviewed the whole mess and decided the
solution was to let it be.....apparently THAT was a good decision

28 Jun 2020 08:04 #8 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic What is the Democrat Plan?

Pony Soldier wrote: There’s a lot of info there but the only thing I can pull out of that that can be attributed to Obama is that he carried through on Bush’s bailout scheme. Cash for clunkers was a joke. Shovel ready jobs was a punchline in a joke he made for crying out loud. Basically we drifted for 8 years. There was no Herculean effort on the part of the Obama administration other than to screw up Americans health care and fund the mullahs. Oh, and train and arm ISIS...

Don't forget the ACA debacle where Obama lied and businesses were scared spend money on expansion because of it.

Sorry Home, your answers don't make sense to me and they certainly don't answer the question about what the Democrats have planned for this economy. Warren is likely to be Treasury Sec. (according to sources I trust) so there will be a lot of Bernie Bro appeasing (you should know what that entails).

You say there is no plan on either side, I say you haven't been paying attention if you believe that. The Democrats are going to take back corporate tax reduction first thing, that should be a no-brainer (literally). This will put the brakes on any real recovery since the tax hikes will be passed on to the consumer. Minimum wage mandates will also most likely be pushed which will further kill companies who are trying to stay in business as we speak. And then there's wonderfully inept ideas like the Green New Deal which will require more taxes, lots and lots of new taxes. Bottom line is that Democrats are going to have to do the opposite of everything Trump has done since they have said for almost 4 years that everything he has done has been wrong.

Anything there you disagree with?

As for the Republican plan, it should be a continuation of what was happening prior to Covid. If you'd like I can recap what Trump had done to get the economy in high gear and should continue to do even before the virus is resolved.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

28 Jun 2020 08:36 #9 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic What is the Democrat Plan?
I just heard a good quote that summarizes the Democrat plan perfectly...

"If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it dies, subsidize it."
Tom Cotton referring to Democrat economic policy

George Orwell

28 Jun 2020 13:00 #10 by homeagain
"There is no plan",let me amend THAT to....workable plan. The D's will do a wholesale give away and
THAT is not workable....the R's will continue to screw the middle class/lower middle class until they
are at below poverty level,all the while making CERTAIN they and their wealthy constituents/corporate
concerns are reaping the R'S tax cuts and loopholes..... NO trickle down,the haves and have nots
become narrower and narrower....image a hiking path thru the woods....clearly defined and wide,travel further
and it narrows slightly,travel further into the woods it has some undergrowth,but still a path, travel further and the undergrowth needs to be cut away,but there is a trace of the path...travel further the path is faint,barely
visible....THEN U are in the depth of the forest....trees,foliage on all sides. Both plans put U in deep shit.

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds