Cancel Culture Feasting on the LEFT

14 Jul 2020 22:25 #1 by Rick
Well I think it is quite fitting that those who create the monster eventually get devoured by it. I know everybody here agrees that this is getting ridiculous, right? We disagree about almost everything but the left and right must both agree that opinions are and should be a right. Right?

So I thought I’d start start with Bari Weis’s resignation letter to the New York Times. When I get to my computer I’ll put in the link, worth a search though. Let me know what you think, maybe we can find some agreement for once.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Jul 2020 07:02 #2 by homeagain
ACTUALLY, I agree with her and Fox. The problem of harassing/bullying/intimating has been exasperated by
soc media(which I am not on).It is incredible easy to create mass annihilation on an individual.

From another POV,HOWEVER, large corp,in general, do an excellent job of manipulating,intimidating and
creating an environment of hostility towards the individual...I know,because for 17 yrs I was a square peg trying to fit in a round hole...and the work setting was "we will break U,if U don't fall in line."

15 Jul 2020 08:46 #3 by ScienceChic
The resignation letter: www.bariweiss.com/resignation-letter

I was wondering why no one had started a thread on this yet, but that you put in your title, "feasting on the left," saddens me. Cancel culture is feasting on everyone, right, left, and independent. If you read that resignation letter, you should realize that the bigger picture is the fact that cancel culture is tearing this country apart even more than the partisan divide that our enemies are stoking.

I used to rail against conservatives being so judgemental, now the extreme left is doing it even more vigorously; and both are wrong for doing it. What sealed it for me was seeing the gloating over causing the woman in Central Park to lose her job and her dog for calling the police on the man calling out her transgressions and filming her. She committed two offenses: illegally walking her dog off-leash and fabricating a story to the police that a man was threatening her when he wasn't...in the portion of the encounter that we witnessed anyway (we have no idea what happened before or after that film clip). She was absolutely wrong for doing those things, but it could've been handled without that video being uploaded to social media, and the Woke mob hunting her down. Even the man on whom she called the cops, refuses to cooperate as a witness in her trial.

What bothered me most was the gleeful reactions by even some friends of mine who didn't stop to consider the fact that her life has just been crushed for a mistake, and who snidely dismissed her apology. She now has to find a new job in a time when millions of others are out of work as well, with the stigma of the notoriety she now has. She lost her dog (maybe only temporarily, who knows?) and for some, their pets are like their kids. She was a single woman walking alone in Central Park (a fact that would make me paranoid and hyper-vigilant if I were her) and we don't know what happened outside of that short video - did he antagonize her? Was he rude in approaching her, and only started filming once she got upset and he projected calmness to make it look more imbalanced? We have no idea if that video is an accurate representation of the whole encounter. The assumptions and rush to judgement, the gloating at this kind of public punishment, and the absolute lack of empathy and willingness to forgive was stunning.

When did callousness and an utter lack of consideration for others become so entrenched in our society? How can we fix this, because this is the root of our problems.

Here's a letter that was published earlier and signed by many names you'll recognize (though, ironically, many asked their names be removed when they found out J.K. Rowling had signed it, because she's being canceled her for her views on trans):
A Letter on Justice and Open Debate
Harper's Magazine | July 7, 2020

The democratic inclusion we want can be achieved only if we speak out against the intolerant climate that has set in on all sides.

The free exchange of information and ideas, the lifeblood of a liberal society, is daily becoming more constricted.

This stifling atmosphere will ultimately harm the most vital causes of our time. The restriction of debate, whether by a repressive government or an intolerant society, invariably hurts those who lack power and makes everyone less capable of democratic participation. The way to defeat bad ideas is by exposure, argument, and persuasion, not by trying to silence or wish them away. We refuse any false choice between justice and freedom, which cannot exist without each other.

It Wasn’t My Cancelation That Bothered Me. It Was the Cowardice of Those Who Let It Happen
written by Margaret Wente, Quillette | Published on July 9, 2020

It doesn’t take much to get cancelled these days. Last month, my turn came around. The experience was unpleasant, but also completely ludicrous. And I learned a lot. I learned how easily an institution will cave to a mob. I learned how quickly the authorities will run for cover, notwithstanding the lip service they may pay to principles of free speech.

After all, they’re terrified. They’re afraid that if they don’t beg forgiveness and promise to do better, they’ll be next at the guillotine.

I was cancelled by one of Canada’s quainter institutions, a University of Toronto graduate residential school called Massey College. Few people outside Canadian academia have heard of it. But the cultural revolution has entered its mass-spectacle Reign of Terror phase, and so my story made news across Canada. I was depicted as a racist, anti-feminist heretic whose mere presence inside Massey’s halls would have presented a threat to students.

But Massey College hasn’t fared too well, either: In this climate, every fusty institution is just one trivial scandal away from public-relations crisis and knives-out infighting, as all concerned flail about in a bid to prove their moral purity. I’ll survive. I’m not sure Massey will.

Colin Wright @SwipeWright July 10, 2020 Twitter Thread

1/ What is cancel culture? A few months ago I was a postdoc at Penn State with an soon-expiring contract, job hunting for tenure track professorships.

I posted the following tweet citing the well-known "social contagion" hypothesis forwarded by Dr Lisa Littman's work on ROGD.

2/ Some people thought this was cancel-worthy & attempted to spread word of my "vile transphobia" to my colleagues, even tagging diversity organizations in my field.

"Colin is on the job market. I hope the EEB community is paying attention."

The goal was to limit my employment.

6/ Don't let anyone tell you cancel culture isn't real. It is, and it's ferocious.

All these leftists saying that cancel culture isn't real, or that it only targets the powerful, are gaslighting you just like they did to me when they said they weren't trying to blacklist me.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

15 Jul 2020 19:01 #4 by Rick

ScienceChic wrote: The resignation letter: www.bariweiss.com/resignation-letter

I was wondering why no one had started a thread on this yet, but that you put in your title, "feasting on the left," saddens me. Cancel culture is feasting on everyone, right, left, and independent. If you read that resignation letter, you should realize that the bigger picture is the fact that cancel culture is tearing this country apart even more than the partisan divide that our enemies are stoking.

Sorry for the way that came out but it's how I see it. While I realize there are conservatives who have acted this way, they don't have institutional backing like the left does. There are so many examples it would be impossible to list them all. We know for a fact that college campuses routinely silence conservative voices, I can't think of a single instance when a liberal/progressive has been shouted down or banned from speaking at a university. Even domestic terrorists get a voice as long as they are leftists. The left also has the backing of at least 90% of the media and at least 90% of Hollywood. Those are such big microphones, conservatives don't have the propaganda machines like the left does.

The reason I said cancel culture is eating the left is because the left has been mostly immune until recently. Conservatives have been enduring this for many years... just look at all the boycotts when the owner of a company expresses beliefs that are unacceptable to the left (see Chick-Fil-A), now even that guy bowed down and decided to shine a back man's shoes. I guess the cancel culture tactic finally worked on that guy, sadly.

SC I know this is bad for everybody and I do appreciate your honesty since many on the left still seem to think this isn't a big deal since most of the cancelling is still against the right. I do have some optimism since the GOYA boycott looks like it's backfiring big time, but it's the individuals who are the biggest victims, especially when they lose their jobs or worse.

Now would be a great opportunity for the media to do their damn jobs and highlight what is happening, even if they have to defend a conservative.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

20 Jul 2020 13:56 #5 by FredHayek
America has become much more intolerant of the opinions of others, and months under lockdown have just made it worse. It appears no one can debate reasonably anymore. Instead they will attack and if that doesn't quash the other opinion, they will dox their foe.

The Central Park story is a good example. Both people were stressed, both overreacted. I think it was horrible that she wanted to get the bird watcher arrested. But I think he could have just walked away too instead of confronting her. Because of the toxicity out there, I have tried to avoid all conflicts. Just not worth confronting people.

Yesterday there was a rally to show support to the police at the Denver Capitol building. It was shouted down by a counter rally. Maybe next time, the ACAB people could have instead waited until one rally was over before starting theirs? Maybe show a little tolerance?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

22 Jul 2020 19:11 #6 by Rick

FredHayek wrote: America has become much more intolerant of the opinions of others,

America? The people who have been intolerant of opinions they don't agree with do not represent America and the constitution. If you've been paying attention, you know who these people are and they are created in colleges by people who don't want these young people to use their brains in a way that would challenge their leftist ideology. The left has all the institutions that have the biggest microphone to shut down speech... the media, academia, and Hollywood... this isn't being hidden, it's all out in the open now. Fortunately their ideology defies common sense in most cases so there's still a chance our country still has a little time left.

George Orwell

23 Jul 2020 08:26 #7 by FredHayek
As a Libertarian, I get it from both sides so maybe I am more sensitive to the "shut up" phenomenon. But I do agree that you do hear it more from the Left. They would rather tell someone to shut up than explain why they believe what they believe.

The current "Holier Than Thou" movement on the Left is amusing to watch. They are going after Trader Joe's for naming their Mexican beer "Trader Jose"? They truly have become the modern Church Ladies, "Isn't that special!".
Humorless and angry all the time.

25 Jul 2020 16:23 #8 by Rick

FredHayek wrote: As a Libertarian, I get it from both sides so maybe I am more sensitive to the "shut up" phenomenon. But I do agree that you do hear it more from the Left. They would rather tell someone to shut up than explain why they believe what they believe.

The current "Holier Than Thou" movement on the Left is amusing to watch. They are going after Trader Joe's for naming their Mexican beer "Trader Jose"? They truly have become the modern Church Ladies, "Isn't that special!".

Maybe you should give some examples of the right trying to shut people down. I'm not talking about individual people who don't have massive numbers of followers joining the boycott, I'm talking about institutions like universities, news networks, and powerful businesses like Google, Twitter, FB, etc.. Whatcha got Fred, I'm interested to learn what I'm missing.

George Orwell

28 Jul 2020 09:23 #9 by FredHayek

Rick wrote:

FredHayek wrote: As a Libertarian, I get it from both sides so maybe I am more sensitive to the "shut up" phenomenon. But I do agree that you do hear it more from the Left. They would rather tell someone to shut up than explain why they believe what they believe.

Maybe you should give some examples of the right trying to shut people down. I'm not talking about individual people who don't have massive numbers of followers joining the boycott, I'm talking about institutions like universities, news networks, and powerful businesses like Google, Twitter, FB, etc.. Whatcha got Fred, I'm interested to learn what I'm missing.

Weatherman Marty Coniglio was just fired for equating the DHS officers to Nazi's. I know some people wouldn't consider 9News right wing, probably even centrist left but they called out a guy who went too far. Even if it was his personal account.

Fox News has fired a few of their employees for sharing conspiracy theories. Like Diamond and Silk.

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds