Everything is Broken

15 Jan 2021 15:34 #1 by ScienceChic
This is a long read, but I highly encourage you to do so and sit down and take some time to ponder it. Is it true? Is it not? What parts resonate, which do you disagree with? Why?

Notice that this isn't political, it is societal changes and politics is a sidebar of that. To me, it speaks of trying to keep cohesive a population of 350M+ people, but sacrificing risk, creativity, and the fear of failure in the process. Adversity challenges us to grow and overcome, and we've become soft, selfish, complacent, and easily offended. We focus on the effects of problems rather than the problems themselves that we face that are daunting to approach, and require us working together to resolve.

We either acknowledge this and address it, or our problems will continue to control us.

Everything Is Broken
And how to fix it
BY ALANA NEWHOUSE, Tablet Magazine | JANUARY 14, 2021

“I don’t know how else to tell you this but bluntly,” he said. “There are still many good individuals involved in medicine, but the American medical system is profoundly broken. When you look at the rate of medical error—it's now the third leading cause of death in the U.S.—the overmedication, creation of addiction, the quick-fix mentality, not funding the poor, quotas to admit from ERs, needless operations, the monetization of illness vs. health, the monetization of side effects, a peer review system run by journals paid for Big Pharma, the destruction of the health of doctors and nurses themselves by administrators, who demand that they rush through 10-minute patient visits, when so often an hour or more is required, and which means that in order to be ‘successful,’ doctors must overlook complexity rather than search for it.

I had barely started processing this when Norman moved to change the subject: “Now, can I ask you two something? How come so much of the journalism I read seems like garbage?”

Oh, God.

David and I looked at each other, simultaneously realizing that the after-school special we thought we were in was actually a horror movie. If the medical industry was comprehensively broken, as Norman said, and the media was irrevocably broken, as we knew it was ... Was everything in America broken? Was education broken? Housing? Farming? Cities? Was religion broken?

Everything is broken.

Flatness broke everything.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Jan 2021 16:09 #2 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic Everything is Broken
The thin veil of denial has been lifted(it has taken MANY years)....this fubar did not happen over nite. It
happened throughout decades...insidious, put on the backburner of awareness (we'll get to it next year,
next congressional session, next pres term).....it is IDENTICAL to our abrupt awakening after 9/11/2001.
We were gobsmacked and given a reality check....ALL IS NOT RIGHT. We were still living in ''Father
Knows Best and Leave it to Beaver world. A REAL do over is what is required....U know where the axis
does magnetic polar reversal and TWAWKI starts over....(.better fine tune those survival skills.) THAT
is what it will take for this to change. jmo

16 Jan 2021 10:58 #3 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Everything is Broken
I have been reading a lot of history lately of the 18th and 19th century. Everything may be broken but we are doing so much better in our broken society than people one hundred or two hundred years ago. There is no other time I would rather be living in than today.
Much better safety net, amazing medical care, astounding technology. Sure there are problems, nothing will ever be perfect but it is still a great time to be alive.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

16 Jan 2021 17:08 #4 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Everything is Broken
Thanks for posting that SC, I can se a lot of painful truth in most of that. It's strange that you would post this at this point in time... I've never been more concerned about our country and the world than I am now. I've been saying for years that our technology is replacing our humanity and our creativity, and now it is dividing us at an accelerated rate. There's a lot of great points made and I'm going to read it again later and maybe discuss some of the specifics. SC, I agree with your take and it's just a reminder to me that regardless of our political ideologies, we all pretty much want the same things out of life.

I have to disagree with you Fred, I feel like the best time to be alive ended around the time the internet became part of our daily lives. While the access to every bit of information at the touch of some buttons is amazing, I think the long term harm brought on by social media makes me wish we could collectively reject all of it and then forget we ever had it. I'll elaborate later when I have more time.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

16 Jan 2021 17:47 #5 by ramage
Replied by ramage on topic Everything is Broken
"
It took my husband and me three years to understand that in fact I was right that day in the delivery room. Our son was hurt. And it will take him years to heal—longer than it should have, and that is on top of the injustice of the original wound—though I thank God every day that we figured it out."

What is the original wound that their child suffered? Or is the author using her childbearing and post-natal experience as a metaphor for what is happening in the world in her opinion?

17 Jan 2021 07:29 #6 by homeagain
CONTEXT is required.....otherwise your question is nonsensical .

17 Jan 2021 08:10 #7 by ramage
Everything Is Broken
And how to fix it
BY ALANA NEWHOUSE, Tablet Magazine | JANUARY 14, 2021

17 Jan 2021 08:20 #8 by Pony Soldier
Replied by Pony Soldier on topic Everything is Broken
Ramage, I believe that the injury to the baby wasn’t the point of the story, it was just being used to demonstrate how the medical system is broken which then in turn opened the author’s eyes to the fact that most other systems are broken and have been for quite some time.

17 Jan 2021 08:28 - 17 Jan 2021 08:31 #9 by homeagain
SC..it is not just the medical community, my initial post was referring to infrastructure of all of our
cities(specifically LARGE), it was referring to the quality of food (non nutritional because we have
stripped away proven agriculture methods,we have introduced corp food production on a large scale,ignoring
quality for quantity..we have created a cesspool of the oceans worldwide,we have warehoused the old,when extended families were the norm....TAKING CARE OF THEIR OWN and aging in place.,we have lost our
values,for $$$$, for expeditiousness, for self centered ego fulfillment,we have accepted false narratives of
how "great " America is when the homeless are increasing,when children go to school on empty stomach's
and go to bed on the floor.....we have turned a blind eye for a VERY LONG TIME. YES, we have become weak and expect others to do the hard work.

WHEN a dire disaster hits the nation or for that matter the world,will we rise to the challenge? My mind's eye
keeps returning to the devastation of the tsumani that hit BANDE ACHI.....THOSE people, poor and without
resources,just picked up the pieces and restored the island...using ELEPHANTS to work the restoration

R we THAT strong and full of inventiveness to keep on going? Using the hurricane in New Orleans as an
example....my guess is we have ALOT TO LEARN from poor nations....RESILIENCE AND RESOLVE

17 Jan 2021 11:52 #10 by ramage
Pony Soldier,
One of my questions is whether her personal experience is being used a a metaphor for a larger happening in the world. In my opinion that is what she tries to convey and in that I agree with your comment. Unfortunately, the writing is sophomoric with regard to her perinatal experience. The reader is not told anything other that the child was "hurt" and it will take years for him to heal. What does that mean? Physical injury, psychologic injury, postpartum depression? In her opinion this "hurt" is the fault of the doctors treating her son.
How does this "hurt" to her son escalate into a condemnation of medicine?

New question: If medicine is broken, the implication is that at sometime medicine was whole? Can anyone tell me when medicine was whole?

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds