TO WHOM OR WHAT DO YOU CONTRIBUTE?

17 Jan 2021 18:24 #1 by ramage
With all the heated postings regarding political, social or economic positions, I am curious as to what monetary or in kind contributions are made by the posters. I am not asking as to how much if anything that one contributes, rather the organizations, political, cultural, environmental, that money or time is given, i.e. do you put your money/time where your mouth (MMT postings) is.

In my case, I have contributed money and time to a democrat candidate for Congress, the Food Bank of the Rockies, cultural/social, and Ducks Unlimited, environmentally.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScienceChic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Jan 2021 18:56 #2 by Rick
I've contributed to some big charity organizations over the years, most recently Wounded Warrior project, but never a political candidate. My main contributions have been to friends or friends of friends who couldn't afford to pay for expensive car or home repairs. I never fully trust that money to big organizations is spent mostly on the people who need it and not the people in the organization. At least when I help an individual or family I know someone is actually getting 100% and I can always afford to give more labor.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

17 Jan 2021 19:15 #3 by Pony Soldier
I usually don’t contribute to candidates but did this year for a presidential candidate. I give a good bit to various charities. St. Jude’s is my favorite but I also give to Salvation Army, Mission Hill Ministries and Children International.

18 Jan 2021 07:52 #4 by homeagain
ST Judes, our own Foodbank org.,Angel Network at my vet's office,our own Second Chance humane soc.
I have "staged" non profit thrift stores, my motto...it does NOT have to feel like thrift, to be thrift...I remake
the stores into a "boutique".....the USPS collect food once a year at the mailbox stations..we ALWAY give
Since we do not have family near by....we delivery Xmas dinners/or Thanksgiving dinners to shut ins, we have a 90 year old neighbor (we live on the remaining portion of his ranch) we snowblow driveways,side
walks for the immediate area....(we live in a little enclave of houses).....IF the individual on the corner
asking for donations looks REALLY in need...I get a gift certificate at the dollar store and hand it to them.
I generally do NOT broadcast these acts.....they are what U do as a human being. See a need and try to fill it.

18 Jan 2021 07:59 #5 by FredHayek
My uncle, a former prison chaplain, runs a house for former inmates. It has 12 beds and is meant to be a stable place for after they served their terms to stay sober and off drugs. It also helps them find jobs which can be tough for former convicts. Right now it has a 30% success rate at keeping their members from going back to jail.
We give to them often. And my wife will also send them supplies they need like warm clothes.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

19 Jan 2021 19:04 #6 by ramage
I am encouraged by the replies. Community/Faith/Personal relationship based. Charity, in the case of MMT starts at home or close to it.
My only political contribution was on the personal relationship basis, though I disagreed with her positions on many issues, I know her to be an honest woman. I suppose that I could have given the funds to a charity in her name.

19 Jan 2021 22:25 #7 by hillfarmer
Glad to see these replies -we have more in common than it sometimes seems.. In my case, IMHS, Mountain Resource Center, Denver Rescue Center, Food Bank of the Rockies. With as many people who need food I try to contribute as often as I can find some extra money. Also a couple of local democratic candidates....

19 Jan 2021 23:21 #8 by Carrie
We do automatic monthly donations to Best Friends Animal Shelter, Wounded Warriors, Rocky Mountain PBS, The Wild Animal Sanctuary. Also annually or as I can, IMHS, Life Bridge, MaxFund, Mt. Area Land Trust, Charity Navigator and 10 others on Colorado Gives Day and Giving Tuesday. We have no children and very little family left, so our home is being left to The Nature Conservancy.

To those who aren't aware, there is a website called Greater Good, that you can click on various causes every day, and the sponsors who advertise on that site make a donation for every click. There are ten causes: Animals, veterans, autism, diabetes, alzheimer and breast cancer research, hunger, literacy, rain forest and a greater good general category for where ever it is most needed. Some friends sent me this link in 2008 and I click every day since then. It's a great way to make an extra difference without more money out of pocket. I would highly recommend you take the time to participate.
Charity Navigator is a great resource to see how effective non-profits utilize their donations. They are also non-profit.

20 Jan 2021 00:43 - 20 Jan 2021 00:50 #9 by Blazer Bob
I have been on 4 continents. When I look at even a little piece of the human condition I shut my eyes. I give to the MRC because my wife volunteered there, IMHS because we got Christopher the last cat my wife ever had even though they seem to have occasional accounting problems and mostly to local individuals. Usually through blind auctions. . I figure that concentrates the good and minimizes the waste. Ever seen the Jewish holocaust survivor ads. It's 75 yeas later. Is that even real? Don't know but I do believe that closer is better.

Edit: and the troops. Although it sickens me that the -military needs help taking care of are own.

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds