2021 Presidential Inauguration

20 Jan 2021 09:08 #1 by ScienceChic
www.c-span.org/video/?507998-1/presidential-inauguration

How John Adams Established the Peaceful Transfer of Power
The election of 1800 marked the first time the leader of one political party handed the reins of government to his opponent.
Sarah Pruitt, History.com | Updated: Jan 14, 2021 Original: Sep 17, 2020

In the early morning hours of March 4, 1801, John Adams, the second president of the United States, quietly left Washington, D.C. under cover of darkness. He would not attend the inauguration ceremony held later that day for his former friend—now political rival—Thomas Jefferson, who would soon replace Adams in the still-unfinished presidential mansion.

On the heels of his humiliating defeat in the previous year’s election, Adams was setting an important precedent. His departure from office marked the first peaceful transfer of power between political opponents in the United States, now viewed as a hallmark of the nation’s democracy. Since then, the loser of every presidential election in U.S. history has willingly and peacefully surrendered power to the winner, despite whatever personal animosity or political divisions might exist.

The U.S. Constitution left out the mention of political parties, as many founders viewed “factions” as a danger to democracy. “The common and continual mischiefs of the spirit of party are sufficient to make it the interest and duty of a wise people to discourage and restrain it,” George Washington famously declared in 1796, after making the momentous decision to step aside after two terms as the nation’s first president.

But the spirit of party already existed in the United States—even within Washington’s own cabinet.

Because the Constitution hadn’t provided for political parties, the system of electing the president didn’t take them into account: The candidate who got the most votes (Adams) became president, and the runner-up (Jefferson) became vice president.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Jan 2021 09:15 #2 by ramage
I am heeding Washington D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser’s plea to stay away from her city this week, as large portions of the city are locked down for the inauguration. It’s a sacrifice, not being on hand to celebrate Total Democrat Control of our government, but I’m a trouper.

According to the news, there are 25,000 troops at the ready in Washington, in case of trouble.

(Remember when deploying troops in Portland was opposed because they would look like “storm troopers?” Funny how things change.)

– Has anyone else noticed that after rioters rampaged through the U.S. Capitol, causing the death of five people and untold damage, that we’re not hearing calls to de-fund the Capitol Police?

If the police are the cause of our problems in cities like Minneapolis and Portland, and the answer is to cut their budgets, I’m surprised we aren’t hearing the same de-fund the police arguments in Washington D.C.

Apparently they aren’t for putting unarmed social workers out at the Capitol barricades to fend off rioters.

My bet is the Capitol Police get a lot MORE funding.

cowboystatedaily.com/2021/01/19/dave-sim...77aa2ac5c0-433474458

20 Jan 2021 11:27 #3 by FredHayek
Such wretched excess to me. Reeks of a coronation, and I have never watched one live. Next up, more excess, inaugural balls. No wonder so many politicians think they are royalty instead of public servants.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

20 Jan 2021 11:31 #4 by koobookie

FredHayek wrote: Such wretched excess to me. Reeks of a coronation, and I have never watched one live. Next up, more excess, inaugural balls. No wonder so many politicians think they are royalty instead of public servants.

This happens every four years.

BTW - No balls this year, Fred.

20 Jan 2021 11:36 #5 by Pony Soldier
Boy, truer words were never spoken...

20 Jan 2021 12:20 #6 by koobookie
Pleasant change of pace to have a president give a speech that does not incite an insurrection.

20 Jan 2021 14:09 #7 by Pony Soldier
Not my President.

20 Jan 2021 14:30 #8 by FredHayek

Pony Soldier wrote: Not my President.

You wish. Of course he is your president, even if you didn't vote for him. He will be writing executive orders as quickly as he can in his first one hundred days, example, the Paris Climate Accords. That should have been a treaty sent to the Senate to review and vote on. Let's debate this. But instead President Biden will be using a legal tactic to get around Senate treaty obligations. No balls? Good for Joe, now his team can call a lid at 5pm today.

20 Jan 2021 14:40 #9 by Pony Soldier
He will henceforth be known as no-balls Biden - Not My President

20 Jan 2021 14:40 #10 by FredHayek
All the ex-presidents who are attending the inauguration are younger than President Biden.

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds