NOT just Texas....TOTAL redo

28 Feb 2021 07:19 #1 by homeagain
www.npr.org/2021/02/28/971877481/its-not...-for-extreme-weather

GRID was not designed with Mad Max in mind......in 1950;s it was Father Knows Best....BAD outcomes are expected unless $$$$ spent to upgrade.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 Feb 2021 07:41 #2 by FredHayek
Public utility commissions determine the rates for utilities. It would take a lot of investment to upgrade our utilities for Black Swan type events and do you really want to saddle people on fixed incomes with hikes of 30%? Especially after they are already paying increased utilities to fund green projects which aren't as efficient or dependable, especially during freak storms.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

01 Mar 2021 18:33 #3 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic NOT just Texas....TOTAL redo
I think the biggest problem with cramming 'green' energy down our throats is the lack of foresight when it comes to energy storage. Without massive storage capacity, we will see lots of blackouts when mother nature doesn't want to cooperate. Nuclear is the only non-fossil fuel option until the storage problem is figured out.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

01 Mar 2021 19:30 #4 by FredHayek
Very true. There have been amazing leaps in battery technology in the past thirty years but still no way to store huge amounts of power. Texas may want to reexamine their idea to keep their power grid separate. Bad weather tends to be regional, so in bad storms, other states can come to their relief. Of course I don't think that would have helped Texas in this last storm. The whole Midwest, including Colorado had extreme lows and were maxing out their own grids.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds