Packing The Supreme Court?

16 Apr 2021 13:22 #11 by ramage
Replied by ramage on topic Packing The Supreme Court?
The number of Justices on the Supreme Court changed six times before settling at the present total of nine in 1869.

Nothing is set in stone, and even if so, like the Ten Commandments, it can be readily broken.

If the democrats want to enlarge the S.C., so be it if they are able. Ole' Harry Reid from Nevada broke senate precedent and how did that work out?

From my perspective I would much rather see an age limit, though I realize that it will not happen. We now have a new/old President of 78 yrs, who has stated that he intends to run for re-election at age 82. I doubt that he would be supportive of an age limit.
We could then look at term limits but members of Congress would never countenance that.

Then we wonder why younger people (at least younger that the posters here) are not interested in politics.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Apr 2021 08:20 #12 by Wayne Harrison
I'm not sure how you could put an age limit on presidential candidates without doing the same thing to members of Congress (some of whom are in their 80s). But I would support it.

17 Apr 2021 09:38 #13 by FredHayek

Wayne Harrison wrote: I'm not sure how you could put an age limit on presidential candidates without doing the same thing to members of Congress (some of whom are in their 80s). But I would support it.

Would love to see that across the board, you cannot run for office or if a judge, serve past your 70th birthday. I know there are many very competent senior citizens who can do a very good job in their 80's, but that tends to be the exception. Of course they will have to grandfather the current judges and officeholders in order for my bill to pass.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds