Packing The Supreme Court?

11 Apr 2021 11:33 #1 by FredHayek
President Biden passed a executive order this week creating a group to spend the next six months deciding if we should add justices to the Supreme Court.

NPR has a congressman on yesterday to support this move, and I was impressed when Scott Simon took him to task, essentially saying that you only want to add members because you think the conservatives have too much power currently. The man didn't defend himself very well.

But as a libertarian/conservative, I really don't believe the Supreme Court is a 6-3 conservative majority. Just yesterday a 5-4 decision was reached allowing families in California to hold religious services in their homes.
I find most of the conservatives on the Supreme Court to be independent thinkers. And are constantly surprised with some of their votes. Clarence Thomas is the only one who consistently votes conservative. And the Chief Justice John Roberts is a moderate in my eyes.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Apr 2021 11:35 #2 by FredHayek
Latest update from the Supreme Court, liberals want liberal justice Breyer to retire so they can replace him with a younger justice, preferably a African-American women, the first in Supreme Court history.

Should Stephen step aside to achieve diversity goals?

11 Apr 2021 12:11 #3 by Pony Soldier
The SCOTUS hold too much power. They were never meant to be a coequal branch of government but rather a check and balance in the other two branches. Congress was meant to wield the most power with the executive a lowly second. The founders didn’t want another king, elected or otherwise. They would be very disappointed with where we are today.

11 Apr 2021 12:28 #4 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Packing The Supreme Court?
I believe you're right PS, the SC shouldn't have the kind of power Democrats want them to have. Imagine this insanely progressive administration with a Supreme Court that they were able to produce out of thin air to protect their Constitution altering agenda.

As always, if you asked a Democrat what they would have said if it was Trump looking into packing the court (or any Republican), they would be 100% against it, as they should be. But sadly we are living in a time where Democrats will silently support this because they believe we should all live by their rules.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

12 Apr 2021 08:34 #5 by FredHayek
Great debate topic. I will agree with you that the courts were not established to be an equal third leg of our government. The legislative branch was supposed to be dominant, but the Supreme Court quickly carved out a niche for itself and, frankly, I think it has been a good thing. One of the best parts of American democracy is that there are curbs on majority rule. And I think the Supreme Court, and also the Senate have saved the nation time after time from "mob rule". I can't imagine a parlimentary system where the majority party leader is also the leader of the nation.

I do like that many Democrats also think adding more Supreme Court justices is a bad idea. Maybe this EO is only window dressing to make the radicals like the "Gang of Four" happy.

15 Apr 2021 11:01 #6 by Wayne Harrison
The number of Justices on the Supreme Court changed six times before settling at the present total of nine in 1869.

It has not been expanded further since then.

15 Apr 2021 11:26 #7 by FredHayek
Watch this backfire on the Democrats. Suppose it passes but then the GOP takes back the Senate in 2022? Four empty seats until the next GOP president? Or they negotiate a deal, four moderates? Or two conservatives and two liberals?

16 Apr 2021 10:11 #8 by driver8
Replied by driver8 on topic Packing The Supreme Court?

FredHayek wrote: Watch this backfire on the Democrats. Suppose it passes but then the GOP takes back the Senate in 2022? Four empty seats until the next GOP president? Or they negotiate a deal, four moderates? Or two conservatives and two liberals?

So Merrick Garland was not even given a vote 9 months before the 2016 election, reason given by the GOP was it was too close to the election and the next president should get to choose .... and yet Amy Coney Barrett was pushed through 9 days before the 2020 election, isn't that Packing the SCOTUS?

The screeching hypocrisy of the right can be down right hilarious to watch! LOL!
The following user(s) said Thank You: homeagain

16 Apr 2021 11:20 #9 by ScienceChic
At some point, this trend of simply trying to one-up the "other side", rather than finding ways to work together, will cause a breakdown in civil society.

Court Packing? It’s Already Happening at the State Level
In recent years, Republican-led legislatures have been adding state supreme court seats and working to change nominating rules, aiming to bolster conservative majorities.
Billy Corriher, Judicial Issues Writer | September 30, 2020

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

16 Apr 2021 13:10 #10 by FredHayek

driver8 wrote:

FredHayek wrote: Watch this backfire on the Democrats. Suppose it passes but then the GOP takes back the Senate in 2022? Four empty seats until the next GOP president? Or they negotiate a deal, four moderates? Or two conservatives and two liberals?

So Merrick Garland was not even given a vote 9 months before the 2016 election, reason given by the GOP was it was too close to the election and the next president should get to choose .... and yet Amy Coney Barrett was pushed through 9 days before the 2020 election, isn't that Packing the SCOTUS?

The screeching hypocrisy of the right can be down right hilarious to watch! LOL!

In my eyes, it isn't court packing. It is only taking advantage of the current rules. The Democrats have a razor thin majority right now, in the old days, they would solve this by working with moderate Republicans like Mitt Romney. By loading the court, you are now setting up new rules that Republicans will take advantage of to pack the court when they take back the Senate, possibly as soon as 2022.

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds