Dems Create Legislation To Add Supreme Court Justices

14 Apr 2021 22:29 #1 by FredHayek
Their bill would add justices until the Democrats have a 7-6 advantage. I think this sets a dangerous precedent. The Democrats won't always be in power. Even now their margins are razor thin.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Apr 2021 05:52 #2 by Pony Soldier
Funny that you’re counting Roberts as a conservative justice. He’s not.

15 Apr 2021 06:54 #3 by homeagain
From my POV, he is a voice of reason, as was Ginsberg. MORE is good...younger is good,DIVERSITY
is mandatory.

15 Apr 2021 07:11 #4 by Rick
Those of you who think the last administration abused it's power and this one is not, I think you really need to explain your reasoning in clear English. If the Trump administration even mentioned this idea as a slight possibility, the media would have come unglued, and rightfully so. There would be no greater abuse of power and erosion of trust than to have one party pack the court with new justices beyond the 9 we've always had. There is no doubt in my mind that the Democrats know their policies are so unpopular that they have to keep changing the rules. Instead of letting the people decide the direction of the country, they want their hand picked ideologically aligned judges to have that power. I wouldn't be opposed to term limits as long as congress puts term limits on themselves, but that would never happen.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

15 Apr 2021 07:21 #5 by homeagain

Rick wrote: Those of you who think the last administration abused it's power and this one is not, I think you really need to explain your reasoning in clear English. If the Trump administration even mentioned this idea as a slight possibility, the media would have come unglued, and rightfully so. There would be no greater abuse of power and erosion of trust than to have one party pack the court with new justices beyond the 9 we've always had. There is no doubt in my mind that the Democrats know their policies are so unpopular that they have to keep changing the rules. Instead of letting the people decide the direction of the country, they want their hand picked ideologically aligned judges to have that power. I wouldn't be opposed to term limits as long as congress puts term limits on themselves, but that would never happen.

[/b]

AGREED.....long over due. By the way, TRUMP tried very hard to pack the court....

15 Apr 2021 08:35 #6 by Pony Soldier
What are you talking about? Trump did not try to pack the court. He nominated justices as openings became available. You need to better define your terms.

15 Apr 2021 08:48 #7 by homeagain
JUSTICES THAT WERE (HE THOUGHT) ALIGNED WITH HIS AGENDA.

15 Apr 2021 08:56 #8 by FredHayek
I don't want justices to have term limits, because I want them free from politics. They wouldn't have to worry about keeping their job by sucking up to the current POTUS. This freedom helps them not be defined by Red/Blue labels.

And I agree with others here, Most of the justices are independent thinkers, Clarence Thomas is hard core right wing. Kagen and Sotomayor are hard core party loyalists. But the others are harder to pin down and often surprise court experts with their rulings. I like that.

I hope cooler Democrat heads in the Senate quash this, but even if they don't, I suspect the Court itself will strike it down, just like they did when FDR tried it.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds