LINSEY GRAHAM AND LIZ CHENEY ARE IN A SNIT

19 Apr 2021 15:54 #1 by ramage
Politics makes strange bedfellows, and sometimes we get to laugh.

Linsey Graham has labelled the withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan the "Bide-Trump plan".
President trump has said "“Getting out of Afghanistan is a wonderful and positive thing to do,” Trump said in the statement. “I planned to withdraw on May 1st, and we should keep as close to that schedule as possible.”

Lis Cheney's comments on why troops should stay in Afghanistan are replete throughout the internet. Suffice it to say she is not happy with Trump's endorsement of Biden's withdrawal plan.

Both have never seen a war that they didn't like, as long as someone else is doing the bleeding and dying.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Apr 2021 09:58 #2 by FredHayek
I am undecided about this pullout. The war has gone on too long. And it has been very expensive. Deaths and injuries are actually pretty low. It is like the Taliban know they don't want to antagonize America, especially if we are planning to get out. But what happens to Afghanistan when we leave? Another decade of civil war? Or will it be like Vietnam? Helicopters flying out American diplomats and abandoning an embassy? Will women lose their rights, jobs, and their chance at an education?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

20 Apr 2021 12:33 #3 by ramage
Lots of questions, all valid.

Civil war - likely

Vietnam - unlikely. The Taliban numbers are not those of the then North Vietnam/VietCong forces

Women - what rights do they have now? Is it the job of the U.S. to guarantee the education of women
throughout the world? Afghanistan is but far not the only country that faces this problem.

20 Apr 2021 15:55 #4 by FredHayek
Women are working jobs, are members of government too. Girls are learning how to read and write in a nation with one of the highest illiteracy rates. True, we do not have an obligation to Afghans. I do wonder if Team Biden will give citizenship or refugee status to those in the country who worked for us and their families?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

20 Apr 2021 17:07 #5 by ramage
Relative to your last question, The Harris-Biden Administration revoked the immigration program that gave Iraqis who aided our troops a pathway to green card/citizenship.
No reason to suspect that they would treat Afghans differently.

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds