Trans Woman OK'd to Compete in Olympics, Despite Science

23 Jun 2021 17:09 - 23 Jun 2021 17:10 #11 by ScienceChic
No, the presence of the Y chromosome does not necessarily confer "maleness", nor does the absence of a Y chromosome mean that a fetus can't develop into a male (for example, if there is an error during meiosis, the SRY [“sex-determining region of Y”] gene may get transferred to the X chromosome resulting in an XX genotype developing phenotypically as a male because of the presence of the SRY gene on a chromosome it normally is not part of). Edit to add: genetically, yes XY is male in a human and XX female, but phenotypic expression is usually how we "decide" someone is male or female, and that's what I based my response on.

Moreover, in different species, XX for female and XY for male don't exist. There are XX/XO in some insects and ZZ-ZW in birds, reptiles, and other insects.

For those interested in learning more:
Y Chromosome Facts
National Human Genome Research Institute

Y Chromosome Is More Than a Sex Switch
By Sarah C. P. Williams, Science | Apr. 23, 2014

The Sex of Offspring Is Determined by Particular Chromosomes
Nature

Sex Chromosome Abnormalities

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Jun 2021 09:13 #12 by homeagain
I am not a scientist/nor have extensive knowledge about about the subject at hand,BUT I still believe the
older you are when u transition (40,50ish) give an unfair advantage in competition, when the transition is performed MUCH EARLIER...it seems to be a balanced physical comparison....I am speaking of early childhood,late teen years....I am pretty open minded and cis,but it just seems squid towards the late
trans-ed individual....jmo

03 Jul 2021 10:39 #13 by ramage
The IOC (International Olympic Committee) has banned an U.S. female sprinter because she smoked marijuana.
But a biologic male taking estrogen so that he can compete as a female is okay.

Welcome to the Woke world.

06 Jul 2021 12:49 #14 by Rick

ramage wrote: The IOC (International Olympic Committee) has banned an U.S. female sprinter because she smoked marijuana.
But a biologic male taking estrogen so that he can compete as a female is okay.

Welcome to the Woke world.

Yup, can't make this insanity up. I've smoked plenty of weed for different reasons throughout my life, but it's never given me more strength, speed, or energy. If the Olympics had a pie eating competition, they may have a valid agument against marijuana.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

20 May 2022 12:52 #15 by ramage
Last week there was a story in the news regarding a transgender skateboarder that crushed the competition in the women's category. Now we have this about surfing:
Australian Transgender Surfer Crushes the Competition in Open Women’s Divisions

attached is a picture of him as a male surfer.
Attachments:

20 May 2022 18:27 #16 by Rick
Not many people watch women's sports anyway, so men may as well take over and maybe the ratings would go up.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds