Opinion: The GOP has five factions now. All see a different future...

03 Aug 2021 08:35 #11 by Rick

Wayne Harrison wrote:

Rick wrote: =If Republicans use the Democrat model for fixing everything, then we are all doomed.

Yeah, who wants to end up like Sweden?

Ah yes, the old "what about Sweden" analogy. There are so many significant differences in the two countries that is ridiculous to try to make that comparison. The biggest difference being a population of 10 million and it's extremely difficult to become a citizen. We just had a million people illegally stream across our southern border and taxpayers wil be paying for those people to survive and thrive. No big deal right? I'm sure we can afford to pay for at least another million by the end of the year, and the next, and the next...

If I lived on an island somewhere outside the US, I wouldn't care either.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Aug 2021 11:29 #12 by Wayne Harrison

Rick wrote: If I lived on an island somewhere outside the US, I wouldn't care either.

If you were referring to me, you're geographically challenged. If you weren't, then I apologize for that remark.

You wouldn't believe the number of Americans who mistake Costa Rica for Puerto Rico and think Costa Rica is an island. In fact, the gringos who live here frequently joke with newcomers by saying, "Welcome to the island," or "I just got off the boat yesterday." It's a running joke here.

09 Aug 2021 16:19 #13 by Wayne Harrison
So Rick, do you still think I live on an island?

10 Aug 2021 08:07 #14 by Rick
You're right Wayne, I was wrong. My dad taught me the hard way that I should always admit that I was wrong or if I lie about something. This isn't the first time I've been wrong on this board and it won't be the last, but I will always admit to my errors when they are pointed out. The error I made doesn't really change the point of my comment, just like a misspelled word or bad punctuation... most people can look past those and get a good idea of what I'm trying to convey.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

10 Aug 2021 09:38 #15 by Wayne Harrison

10 Aug 2021 15:19 #16 by Mary Scott

Rick wrote: You're right Wayne, I was wrong. My dad taught me the hard way that I should always admit that I was wrong or if I lie about something. This isn't the first time I've been wrong on this board and it won't be the last, but I will always admit to my errors when they are pointed out. The error I made doesn't really change the point of my comment, just like a misspelled word or bad punctuation... most people can look past those and get a good idea of what I'm trying to convey.

They do say "no man is an island" ; and I believe Wayne said that he lives in a mostly expat neighborhood, so this would fit -

3: an isolated group or area
especially : an isolated ethnological group

www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/island

10 Aug 2021 18:29 #17 by Rick
It's ok Mary, I'm ok with Wayne scoring a gotcha point every now and then...he seems to relish it so let him do his little dance. At least he didn't find a way to inject Trump into it.LOL

George Orwell

10 Aug 2021 18:43 #18 by ramage
Wayne left the country unlike the many liberals who vowed to leave if Trump were elected but did not. I am not saying that Wayne left because of the election of President Trump. Many reasons to move to Costa Rica, lower cost of living, yet Medicare covers U.S. citizens in Costa Rica. Great climate, for whatever reason Costa Rica has not yet been assailed with the horrors of climate change. And a $20 bill would get one out of the speed trap on the way to the airport in Nosara.

10 Aug 2021 22:26 #19 by Wayne Harrison
In most situations, Medicare won't pay for health care or supplies you get outside the U.S. The term “outside the U.S.” means anywhere other than the 50 states of the U.S., the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, and the Northern Mariana Islands.

www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/11037-Medicare...de-United-States.pdf

10 Aug 2021 23:57 #20 by ramage
Please correct me if I am wrong. Medicare covers Part A & Part B for U.s citizens in Costa Rica , is that not the case?

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds