A Science Question

05 Aug 2021 22:12 - 05 Aug 2021 22:13 #1 by Rick
A Science Question was created by Rick
Hopefully there's a scientist here or someone else who can answer this.:)

Lets say a person with active and tranmissible COVID was to breath into a clean plastic cube for a couple minutes, then seal it up. Do scientists have some sort of method of measuring the amount of virus that was left in the box?

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Aug 2021 07:37 #2 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic A Science Question
very GOOD QUESTION....so much unknown information out there. My take on the whole fubarred fiasco,
mother nature is exercising her power,"you" are going down the wrong path,make the CHANGE NOW.

08 Aug 2021 19:48 #3 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic A Science Question

homeagain wrote: very GOOD QUESTION....so much unknown information out there. My take on the whole fubarred fiasco,
mother nature is exercising her power,"you" are going down the wrong path,make the CHANGE NOW.

IF mother nature is exercising her power I believe the correct interoperation is, let old people die.

09 Aug 2021 07:33 #4 by homeagain

Blazer Bob wrote:

homeagain wrote: very GOOD QUESTION....so much unknown information out there. My take on the whole fubarred fiasco,

IF mother nature is exercising her power I believe the correct interoperation is, let old people die.

[/b]

MY personal opinion...it is obscene to exercise EVERY possible medical procedure/drug to prolong a
life that CANNOT be saved. the "do everything humanly possible to save" mindset is part of the problem
with healthcare...to the tune of trillions of dollars. I have a medical directive that says LET ME DIE
if I am fatally ill or too frail to survive. BUT, more importantly,the METHOD we humans are walking thru life
totally ignorant/uncaring of our environment,is the MAKE THE CHANGE part.....it is already mass critical,
and what it will take is 100 percent buy in (NOT going to happen) of WE WILL GO EXTINCT,if change is
not immediate. IF you think the GREAT depression/dust bowl era was severe....WAIT it will MAKE
THAT LOOK LIKE A CAKE WALK.

09 Aug 2021 08:27 #5 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic A Science Question
LOL, sometimes I think I'm speaking a different language y'all don't understand. SC, you out there?

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

09 Aug 2021 12:17 #6 by homeagain

Rick wrote: LOL, sometimes I think I'm speaking a different language y'all don't understand. SC, you out there?

I was answering BB...HERE'S a link that should replace your original question.....as previously posted ...

www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2021/...findings/5535699001/

09 Aug 2021 12:56 #7 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic A Science Question
If you'd like to find out how airborne viruses are measured, I recommend doing a search in the PubMed database and reading primary journal articles' Materials and Methods sections. Start with metadata review articles (ones that review many previously published papers). Clicking to open any of them will show you lots more to read - enjoy the rabbit-hole.

Methods for Sampling of Airborne Viruses
Microbiol Mol Biol Rev. 2008 Sep; 72(3): 413–444.
doi: 10.1128/MMBR.00002-08

Summary: To better understand the underlying mechanisms of aerovirology, accurate sampling of airborne viruses is fundamental. The sampling instruments commonly used in aerobiology have also been used to recover viruses suspended in the air. We reviewed over 100 papers to evaluate the methods currently used for viral aerosol sampling. Differentiating infections caused by direct contact from those caused by airborne dissemination can be a very demanding task given the wide variety of sources of viral aerosols. While epidemiological data can help to determine the source of the contamination, direct data obtained from air samples can provide very useful information for risk assessment purposes. Many types of samplers have been used over the years, including liquid impingers, solid impactors, filters, electrostatic precipitators, and many others. The efficiencies of these samplers depend on a variety of environmental and methodological factors that can affect the integrity of the virus structure. The aerodynamic size distribution of the aerosol also has a direct effect on sampler efficiency. Viral aerosols can be studied under controlled laboratory conditions, using biological or nonbiological tracers and surrogate viruses, which are also discussed in this review. Lastly, general recommendations are made regarding future studies on the sampling of airborne viruses.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: homeagain, GeorgeM

09 Aug 2021 18:19 #8 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic A Science Question
Thanks SC, I knew you would actually address the topic with a good answer.

Now that we have that our of the way, how much research is being done on masks and whether or not the data aligns with the suggestion that masks (any mask, cloth or N95) significantly lessens what escapes from or enters a mask? Surely this must be a very high priority for our scientists right now in order to convince the masses that their bandana is really going to save them from COVID. If we can accurately measure the amount of covid virus in the air, how hard would it be to get accurate information about masks and their effectiveness?

On a side note, my daughter is a CNA at Lutheran Hospital and she had 6 Covid patients last night, five of which had been fully vaccinated.

George Orwell

11 Aug 2021 12:02 #9 by ScienceChic

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
The following user(s) said Thank You: koobookie

11 Aug 2021 12:26 #10 by koobookie
Replied by koobookie on topic A Science Question
Thanks, SC. The article on masks is interesting - it's the only one I've read so far. I can't tell you how many of my friends & family cite a youtube video of a doctor, addressing a school board meeting about masks, who states that masks are ineffective in preventing the spread of covid. That paper in your search shows that masks are quite effective, although not perfect.

On a related note, those same friends and family often say "do your own research" or "do a deep dive into the facts." I've learned to be wary of those people, as their research is usually a youtube video of a single doctor or politician.

Time to create page: 0.192 seconds