A Science Question

11 Aug 2021 16:31 - 11 Aug 2021 16:33 #11 by driver8
Replied by driver8 on topic A Science Question
"as their research is usually a youtube video of a single doctor or politician." Add Facebook and Instragram as well. Funny (not funny) thing is the response from the anti-maskers to masks/mask mandates is getting close to being violent, including threats to people wearing masks.

Check this one out:

Video Link via Twitter

Anti-mask demonstrators heckle masked people (some of whom are Drs/nurses) leaving 08/10/21 #Williamsoncountytn #schoolboardmeeting following one man to his car and shouting “we will find you” & “we know who you are”
@WilliamsonHmPg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Aug 2021 18:27 - 11 Aug 2021 18:28 #12 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic A Science Question

ScienceChic wrote: Sigh. Really? Is it so hard to conduct a search?

That's a little snarky, I was just trying to figure out if there is a net benefit of little kids wearing a dirty cloth mask around all day as they touch it 1000 times. I think you know masks on kids isn't really very practical since you have kids and understand how they act.

Where are the studies that show non surgical masks on kids is a net benefit when they have to wear them all day? There's also no concern for the psychological damage it does to young minds who actually need to see facial expressions. Lastly, is breathing in extra carbon dioxide really a good idea for extended periods of time?

Here's what I found when it comes to a 'scientific study' that looked at kids wearing masks in schools.

How do we know that masking helps prevent spread among unvaccinated people in schools? In July 2020, we and our colleagues developed the ABC Science Collaborative to pair scientists with school and community leaders to make sure that school leaders had the most up-to-date, scientific information pertaining to COVID-19 and K-12 schools. In conjunction with North Carolina, the ABC Science Collaborative collected data from more than one million students and staff members in the state’s schools from March to June 2021. Certain school districts in North Carolina were required, by bipartisan legislation, to submit infection data to the ABC Science Collaborative as a trusted third party.

During that time, more than 7,000 children and adults acquired the coronavirus and attended school while infectious. Because of close contact with those cases, more than 40,000 people required quarantine. Through contact tracing and testing, however, we found only 363 additional children and adults acquired the coronavirus. We believe this low rate of transmission occurred because of the mask-on-mask school environment: Both the infected person and the close contact wore masks. Schools provided this protection without expensive screening tests for the coronavirus or massive overhauls in ventilation systems.

Wow, that sounds great, until you read this...

Because North Carolina had a mask mandate for all K-12 schools, we could not compare masked schools to unmasked schools. To understand the preventive impact masks can have, we looked outside North Carolina for comparisons.

So there was no control group to measure the differences? That's about as unscientific as it gets, don't you think?

Oh, but they had examples from thousands of miles away...

By contrast, one school in Israel without a mask mandate or proper social distancing protocols reported an outbreak of COVID-19 involving 153 students and 25 staff members.

My point is that there hasn't really been any comprehensive studies that actually prove that any kind of mask is likely to help a kid (who has a one in a million chance of dying from Covid) avoid the virus. Kids die all the time from the flu, yet nobody ever considered masking our kids forever.

If you have something that I missed, please share it. I just realized I wasn't specific about the kids in school in my original post, but that's what this is about.

www.wionews.com/world/we-studied-one-mil...about-masking-404523

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds