Two things - requests by me

12 Aug 2021 18:11 #11 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Two things - requests by me

driver8 wrote: Mock? Just because it doesn't fit you view of the world? What is YOUR new source Rick? You never actually seem to reveal that. OAN? Fox? Facebook? Infowars?

I think having such a detached sense of reality is easy to mock as well.... lol!

I don't have a "new source", I look for facts and I post them with credit to whatever source I got it from. If I give my opinion, I don't post a source, because it's my opinion and I am the source. How come you only come here to criticize and never post anything that you think should be discussed? I don't really know anything about where you stand because you just jump in to attack and never seem to share your concerns.

Start a thread once in a while and I'd be happy to have a civil discussion with you.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Aug 2021 12:34 #12 by ScienceChic

Rick wrote: I don't see any attacking or harassment around here, unless those definitions have changed.

Had it gotten to that point yet when I made the post? No. It's a slippery slope that gets steeper with each sniping post until it's outright attacks because anger and hurt build online more easily than dissipate. My request was made to nip it in the bud before it got to that point. If anyone chooses to ignore those requests, their posting privileges will be revoked.

Yes, the CH is the most active forum, but it's also an unfair characterization to say only "a few small businesses" also use this site. I understand that you don't see what I see in the bigger picture and behind the scenes, but this site has 15,000-20,000 visitors per month, and we are the only local forum that has a county commissioner, Jeffco Open Space, fire departments and others utilize it to share information. We are more often than not the quickest at sharing emergency information, and we have the most comprehensive community calendar around. We are the ONLY place to get detailed, mountain-specific daily forecasts for each of our towns from Morrison to Guffey. I am told frequently by people I run into in the community when I'm just out and about or when I'm volunteering that they love the site, it's their go-to to find out what's going on and they appreciate that it's not a cesspool like other online sources. Compared to our competitors, we have glowing reviews posted on Facebook, have won more awards in recent years, and give back a ton more time and free advertising for our area nonprofits.

We are more than "8-10 posters" who regularly participate in the forums, and yes, I'd love more active members which is why I am a hard-ass about being civil in the public forums. NextDoor and the local FB groups have enough nastiness and trolls to go around, it is not welcome here as well.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
The following user(s) said Thank You: homeagain, driver8

13 Aug 2021 16:29 - 13 Aug 2021 16:31 #13 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Two things - requests by me
I understand your points SC and I try very hard to control the tone of my posts. The comment I made about the number of people posting was based on the number of different people I could find in every other section of this site. I've always hoped that more people would join in the discussions but it is what it is I guess. At least there are still a few people on both sides of the political aisle and it's not all one sided.

My one and only gripe is the seemingly impossible task of getting conversations and debates going that focus on the topic presented and are not instantly derailed by someone who doesn't like the topic.

I would only request, as a courtesy and as a means to keep these threads more civil, that members try to respect the OP's thread by sticking to the topic or just pass it by. If we were to accomplish that easy request, I guarantee there would be little reason for anyone to make a nasty comment. I realize my request doesn't carry much weight, but I have been a loyal poster for many years and there is a reason why I'm still here.

Anyway, I appreciate having this place to vent my concerns for what is happening to this country and have no problem with you reminding me and others that there can be a way for us to vent without taking it out on each other. I'll try to be more conscious of that.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds