Two things - requests by me

10 Aug 2021 19:29 #1 by ScienceChic
1. I'm seeing a lot of posts where people are getting personal and making their arguments about each other (or simply referring to one another to make it personal) rather than about issues, public figures, etc. These threads are going to start being moved lock, stock, and barrel to the Ring if it doesn't stop. Yes, politics gets heated, but the CH is about discussing issues, not each other, not each other's current or former professions, where they live, etc. To keep this site civil and friendly, personal attacks will not be tolerated, and having allowed this to go on for a bit but not seeing any improvement, we will be stepping in to moderate more if it keeps up.

2. If you are replying to a comment that immediately precedes your reply, please do not Quote it, but simply hit Reply. When readers try to scroll through posts on a mobile device (particularly a phone), this is an example of just one reply that they see, and it's frustrating for me, let alone a visitor, to try to scroll through. If you are referencing a post that is older, by all means quote it, but you can edit to remove extraneous sentences if there's one particular point you wish to address (absolutely no changing what the person wrote otherwise, simple deletions only).

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wayne Harrison

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Aug 2021 20:41 #2 by ramage
Replied by ramage on topic Two things - requests by me
Good point.

11 Aug 2021 06:33 #3 by homeagain
THANKS for your input SC...I have been quoting entire post, because some posters misconstrue info and
when entire post is present you have context. I will follow your suggest. Having worked in corp America,
you learn, attack,harassment is part of the whole....you fold or you DEFEND. :whistle:

11 Aug 2021 08:28 - 11 Aug 2021 08:28 #4 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Two things - requests by me
" attack,harassment is part of the whole....you fold or you DEFEND".

I don't see any attacking or harassment around here, unless those definitions have changed.

There's also a third option to folding or defending, that would be ignoring. The most frustrating part for me about this board is when I post a new topic and it quickly gets diverted to what someone else wants to talk about... usually it's about Trump. When this happens (pretty much every thread), it's very hard to just quietly let the thread turn into something that wasn't intended.

I've always hoped for actual back and forth conversations about important issues as if we were sitting
in a room together, face to face. I can't imagine ever being in face to face conversation with a group of people that do whatever they can to change whatever subject I want to talk about, or end the conversation by shoving a laptop in my face and saying "read this article", without explaining why.

I recently looked through this entire forum looking for new people who I assumed were populating other sections of this board and I was surprise to find that there wasn't any, just a few small businesses. So if this whole forum is just the same 8-10 people, it seems like we could find a way to either converse like normal people in real life, or just ignore topics we don't feel like sticking to.

The way things are going, I think there's a good chance this site could one day resemble the one that starts with 'p'... one sided boring BS. Sorry if this offends anyone but I picked this site to air my grievances with government because it was the only one that had a balance of ideologies. There's a few people that just swoop in with a snarky comment then just run away... I can handle that but those people don't add anything to a discussion.

For the rest of you who really want to debate topics (and stick to them), I will do my very best to be civil and polite. Even if you tell me where you live or what you do for a living, I will never again mention those facts if they are somehow insulting or a perceived act of harassment. If I start a thread and someone decides it's not convenient to talk about and therefore must be deflected into something else, I'll just post something one of the more notorious guys used to post...

END OF SUBJECT

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

11 Aug 2021 10:22 #5 by Blazer Bob
Rick, you are not alone.

babylonbee.com/news/man-knows-something-...-with-trump-articles

Report: Something Bad Must Be Happening With Democrats As CNN Homepage Is Filled With Trump Articles
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick

11 Aug 2021 16:25 #6 by driver8
Replied by driver8 on topic Two things - requests by me
You 'do' know that the Babylonbee is a satire site... right?

11 Aug 2021 17:54 #7 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Two things - requests by me
That's the point, "the most trusted name in news" is a joke and it's easy to mock.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

11 Aug 2021 19:28 #8 by driver8
Replied by driver8 on topic Two things - requests by me
Mock? Just because it doesn't fit you view of the world? What is YOUR new source Rick? You never actually seem to reveal that. OAN? Fox? Facebook? Infowars?

I think having such a detached sense of reality is easy to mock as well.... lol!

11 Aug 2021 21:24 #9 by Blazer Bob

driver8 wrote: You 'do' know that the Babylonbee is a satire site... right?

Yes I do know that. Do you know that satire has a point?

12 Aug 2021 07:28 #10 by homeagain
''here's also a third option to folding or defending, that would be ignoring''.......I have found that ignoring,usually results in "crickets" comments,and STILL hangs as a question. IN FACT, in real corp dealings your harassed
even MORE, because of perceived weakness,passiveness. I will DEFEND.

Time to create page: 0.298 seconds