Foreign Aid to the Taliban?

12 Aug 2021 17:07 #1 by Rick

WASHINGTON — American negotiators are trying to extract assurances from the Taliban that they will not attack the U.S. Embassy in Kabul if the extremist group takes over t he country’s government and ever wants to receive foreign aid, three American officials said.

Keep up the hard work my fellow tax paying Americans, your taxes may be going to another great cause soon.
"Please don't attack our embassy, we'll give you money!" FFS, what a joke.

www.nytimes.com/2021/08/12/us/politics/t...stan-us-embassy.html

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Aug 2021 17:15 #2 by Wayne Harrison
Meanwhile, in the real world...

The Biden administration will send thousands of troops to Afghanistan to help airlift American personnel and local allies out of Kabul, U.S. officials said Thursday, as rapid-fire advances by the Taliban intensified the existential threat facing the Afghan state.

Approximately 3,000 combat troops will deploy to the international airport in Kabul, Afghanistan’s capital, to facilitate the withdrawal of additional civilian staff from the U.S. embassy and accelerate the departure of Afghans who have aided the U.S. government in the war effort, officials at the Pentagon and State Department said.

www.washingtonpost.com/national-security...76fba55f2_story.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: MyMountainTown

12 Aug 2021 17:26 #3 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Foreign Aid to the Taliban?
So Wayne, are you saying the NYT is not the "real world"? Was that statement made up by one of your trusted sources?

I've been using the sources you guys believe in, so what's the problem?

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

12 Aug 2021 17:33 - 12 Aug 2021 17:43 #4 by Wayne Harrison
No. I'm saying your "quote" of "Please don't attack our embassy, we'll give you money!" is not in the real world. I also included a link the latest reporting that shows the U.S. moving thousands of troops in to protect the embassy and evacuation of it, if needed.

12 Aug 2021 17:46 #5 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Foreign Aid to the Taliban?
You may not like my wording, but my wording describes the meaning of the quote. "If you attack our embassy, you won't get foreign aid". Is that better? No matter how I word it, our government is dangling money over terrorists so they don't hurt our people. What a pathetic and weak way to end this fubar.

George Orwell

12 Aug 2021 18:01 #6 by Wayne Harrison
I think the thousands of U.S. troops President Biden is sending in will sent a more powerful message. I don't consider the use of U.S. troops "pathetic" or a "weak way to end this." I do agree it was FUBAR...from the beginning.

12 Aug 2021 23:11 #7 by Blazer Bob

Wayne Harrison wrote: I think the thousands of U.S. troops President Biden is sending in will sent a more powerful message. I don't consider the use of U.S. troops "pathetic" or a "weak way to end this." I do agree it was FUBAR...from the beginning.[/quote

The following user(s) said Thank You: MyMountainTown

13 Aug 2021 09:56 #8 by FredHayek
Those Taliban are so demanding! I thought capturing tons of bright, shiny, new Humvees and other Afghan Army military equipment would encourage them to let us withdraw in peace.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds