lifelong liberal who is deeply concerned about the direction of New York City’s

23 Oct 2021 15:42 #1 by Blazer Bob
bariweiss.substack.com/p/why-are-moms-like-me-being-called

..."Let me explain: late last month, the National School Boards Association, an umbrella organization representing thousands of local elected school board officials, sent a letter addressed to President Biden. It warned that “America’s public schools and its education leaders are under an immediate threat.” But not just any threat: “the classification of these heinous actions could be the equivalent to a form of domestic terrorism and hate crimes.” The letter implored the White House to enlist the support of Homeland Security, the FBI and the Department of Justice to investigate the threat — adding that the alleged crimes fall under the purview of the “PATRIOT Act in regards to domestic terrorism.”

I read the letter with grave concern, as would any American who cares about our public schools and the safety of teachers and students. What was the nature of this threat? And would my own children be at risk?

As it turns out, the threat is me. The threat is parents showing up to dress down school boards over their dereliction of duty. That is what the NSBA considers a crime."...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Oct 2021 08:32 - 24 Oct 2021 08:32 #3 by ramage
www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/parents-r...2ec79d2fda9d4121a0f5

From the comments section:

Deflection is an art form. The issue is not that parents want to determine but that the schools have adopted social perspectives that are biased and highly political.

Worse is the lack of true scholarship in the curriculum. For example, I wonder how much is taught about the Compromise of 1850 and how critical it was to US history. Very little, I will bet. My point is that the history chosen to teach is highly selected and parents object to that.

Second, there are social determinants that are central to families. Schools are expanding into areas historically sacrosanct for parenting. School is now a place for defining the society and not for learning. It is an expanded role and thought reasonable by progressives who believe they simply know better.

Some seem to believe that children become wards of the State. Parenting is housing but school is educating. The Loudon county email is a shocking example of how distorted things now are. The Board knew of the sexual assault and hid it. The protected their preference of trans gender bathroom access at the sacrifice of a young girl. Imagine that. They moved the boy around like the Church did with child abuse. They made the parent the villain.

A school board, really?

Jlevine1675dl

24 Oct 2021 08:54 #4 by homeagain
ANOTHER COMMENT FROM THE DISCUSSION

So having a school of 600 students would mean that more than 600 parents would determine the curriculum? I can just see that happening -- total chaos -- which is what conservatives want in public schools. The parents of my students ranged generally from Trump-like to AOC-like. How would I teach in such a way as to please both of them?
End story -- if parents don't like the way schools are teaching, they are always free to do it themselves.

24 Oct 2021 10:15 #5 by homeagain

24 Oct 2021 14:54 #6 by FredHayek

homeagain wrote: ANOTHER COMMENT FROM THE DISCUSSION

So having a school of 600 students would mean that more than 600 parents would determine the curriculum? I can just see that happening -- total chaos -- which is what conservatives want in public schools. The parents of my students ranged generally from Trump-like to AOC-like. How would I teach in such a way as to please both of them?
End story -- if parents don't like the way schools are teaching, they are always free to do it themselves.

And they are. Home schooling is increasing to record levels, plus with the internet, people are choosing the programs they respect. So it could be that the only kids who have to suffer through CRT are the ones with parents who don't care and the kids stuck in super liberal school districts.

There are anti-woke school board members running in Jefferson County right now. Still time to vote for them if you are able.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

24 Oct 2021 20:04 #7 by ramage

Perhaps she shouldn't try to be political, instead teach her pupils how to read, write and the foundations of arithmetic.

25 Oct 2021 07:55 #8 by Rick

ramage wrote:
Perhaps she shouldn't try to be political, instead teach her pupils how to read, write and the foundations of arithmetic.

Then they would waste all that good black vs white BS they were indoctrinated with in college.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

25 Oct 2021 09:23 #9 by FredHayek

ramage wrote: So having a school of 600 students would mean that more than 600 parents would determine the curriculum? I can just see that happening -- total chaos -- which is what conservatives want in public schools. The parents of my students ranged generally from Trump-like to AOC-like. How would I teach in such a way as to please both of them?

But don't you find hundreds of parents who could care less about their kids education? Parents who see school as free daycare?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

25 Oct 2021 12:44 #10 by ramage
Fred,
The manner in which your post is shown is confusing. I replied to the topic:

The post gives the impression that I wrote the portion that I was answering, i.e.
ramage wrote: So having a school of 600 students would mean that more than 600 parents would determine the curriculum? I can just see that happening -- total chaos -- which is what conservatives want in public schools. The parents of my students ranged generally from Trump-like to AOC-like. How would I teach in such a way as to please both of them?
Not my words.

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds