AMERIC'A FUTURE FORETOLD

02 Sep 2022 06:56 #1 by homeagain
www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/0...rban-hungary/671264/

Meanwhile, MAGA forces are busy installing loyalists as governors, election officials, district attorneys, and other crucial state and local positions. They do not succeed in every attempt, but over the course of four years, they gather enough corrupt officials to cast doubt on the legitimacy of any election they lose. They invent creative ways to obstruct anyone who challenges them politically. And they are not shy about encouraging thuggish supporters to harass and menace “traitors.”

And so, after four years? America has crossed Freedom House’s line from “free” to “partly free.” The president’s powers are determined by what he can get away with. His opponents are harried, chilled, demoralized. He is term-limited, but the MAGA movement has entrenched itself. And Trump has demonstrated in the United States what Orbán proved in Hungary: The public will accept authoritarianism, provided it is of the creeping variety.

“We should not be afraid to go against the spirit of the age and build an illiberal political and state system,” Orbán declared in 2014. Trump and his followers openly plan to emulate Orbán. We can’t say we weren’t warned.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 Sep 2022 08:51 #2 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic AMERIC'A FUTURE FORETOLD
Ah yes”MAGA forces”… the Atlantic falls right in line like good Nazi youth.

The opinions of others you choose to use make me wonder if there’s any hope for you to wake up.

Let’s remember what “MAGA” stands for and contrast it with Biden’s speech yesterday when he intentionally decided to pit half the country against the other. That’s not making America great, HA, that’s fomenting a civil war. Is that the part of the turning you’re looking forward to or would you rather see our president bringing people together as he promised from his basement campaign?

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

02 Sep 2022 09:07 - 02 Sep 2022 09:07 #3 by ramage
Replied by ramage on topic AMERIC'A FUTURE FORETOLD
The Nazis are back!
Attachments:

02 Sep 2022 09:17 #4 by Rick

ramage wrote: The Nazis are back!

This may be my new avatar. It’s hard to believe how low this angry old fool could go and how his base seems to cheer him on.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

02 Sep 2022 09:51 #5 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic AMERIC'A FUTURE FORETOLD

Rick wrote: Ah yes”MAGA forces”… the Atlantic falls right in line like good Nazi youth.

The opinions of others you choose to use make me wonder if there’s any hope for you to wake up.

Let’s remember what “MAGA” stands for and contrast it with Biden’s speech yesterday when he intentionally decided to pit half the country against the other. That’s not making America great, HA, that’s fomenting a civil war. Is that the part of the turning you’re looking forward to or would you rather see our president bringing people together as he promised from his basement campaign?

I POST FROM A METAPHYSICAL POV....when I run across an article that reiterates that POV...LIKE THE FINANCIAL TIMES(U collectively believe it is a bogus site, i guess) I utilize it as a talking point,because all are NOT metaphysical in their beliefs. EXAMPLE....the theory/principle of GAIA.

02 Sep 2022 11:01 #6 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic AMERIC'A FUTURE FORETOLD
Remember when Stacey Abrams disputed the election and claimed she was governor of Georgia? Disputing election results is a bipartisan issue. Al Gore even went to the Supreme Court with his false claims.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

24 Sep 2022 18:15 #7 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic AMERIC'A FUTURE FORETOLD

homeagain wrote: www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/0...rban-hungary/671264/

Meanwhile, MAGA forces are busy installing loyalists as governors, election officials, district attorneys, and other crucial state and local positions. They do not succeed in every attempt, but over the course of four years, they gather enough corrupt officials to cast doubt on the legitimacy of any election they lose. They invent creative ways to obstruct anyone who challenges them politically. And they are not shy about encouraging thuggish supporters to harass and menace “traitors.”

And so, after four years? America has crossed Freedom House’s line from “free” to “partly free.” The president’s powers are determined by what he can get away with. His opponents are harried, chilled, demoralized. He is term-limited, but the MAGA movement has entrenched itself. And Trump has demonstrated in the United States what Orbán proved in Hungary: The public will accept authoritarianism, provided it is of the creeping variety.

“We should not be afraid to go against the spirit of the age and build an illiberal political and state system,” Orbán declared in 2014. Trump and his followers openly plan to emulate Orbán. We can’t say we weren’t warned.

A REMINDER OF OUR PRESENT PRECARIOUS POSITION......THIS is where nuclear becomes the
NEXT crisis.

27 Sep 2022 08:12 #8 by Rick
More opinion not backed up by facts.

George Soros has paid a lot of money to get radical DA’s elected all over the country who’s goals are to release violent criminals all over the country, and the left is silent. How many people have to be robbed, raped, and murdered before Democrats finally condemn their greatest threat to our Republic?

George Orwell

27 Sep 2022 09:02 #9 by koobookie
Replied by koobookie on topic AMERIC'A FUTURE FORETOLD
Curious. I thought you just wanted opinions, Rick, not facts. Every time I post a link to an article or a study, you protest and say you want me to just tell you what I think.

27 Sep 2022 12:55 #10 by Rick
No Koobookie, I’m interested in your opinion which I assume is based on what you’ve watched and read. What drives me crazy is when I ask a question and the answer is an article I’m supposed to read. Assuming you’ve read an article, I want what every good teacher and professor wants from their students.., that is a summary in their own words. Anything short of that is lazy and boring IMO.

George Orwell

Time to create page: 0.197 seconds