AMERIC'A FUTURE FORETOLD

27 Sep 2022 13:08 #11 by koobookie
Replied by koobookie on topic AMERIC'A FUTURE FORETOLD

Rick wrote: No Koobookie, I’m interested in your opinion which I assume is based on what you’ve watched and read. What drives me crazy is when I ask a question and the answer is an article I’m supposed to read. Assuming you’ve read an article, I want what every good teacher and professor wants from their students.., that is a summary in their own words. Anything short of that is lazy and boring IMO.

I get it. You don't like to read boring studies and articles. No need to read something that might have a different point of view or some actual facts. You seem to only want to read what reinforces your world view. Understood.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Sep 2022 13:13 #12 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic AMERIC'A FUTURE FORETOLD
Nope, you completely missed the point. I want your summary of what you’ve read. That way I can agree or disagree with your point. If I need to show you alternate sources with differing opinions and facts, I can do that too. If you can’t summarize what you know, I see no benefit in continuing the topic. Sorry if you think that’s unreasonable.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

27 Sep 2022 13:52 #13 by koobookie
I'm sorry that you won't read links to articles or studies. Your loss.

04 Oct 2022 06:09 #14 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic AMERIC'A FUTURE FORETOLD

koobookie wrote: I'm sorry that you won't read links to articles or studies. Your loss.

Your refusal to summarize what you’ve read is not my problem. If you don’t feel the need to give me an adequate summary, I just assume you either didn’t read the complete article or you didn’t retain the information. Either way it’s not worth my time. If you show me that you’ve read it and developed and understanding of the material, I’ll happily respond by doing the same. I lose nothing by ignoring random links you think are interesting.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

04 Oct 2022 09:37 #15 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic AMERIC'A FUTURE FORETOLD
Agree. Some people want this bulletin board to be reduced to a clipboard. You post your article without comment and I will post a rebuttal article without comment. And often the articles are just opinion pieces.
I would rather hear the opinions of my neighbors than some reporter who studied the Ukraine war for one week and then writes a piece like he has it all figured out.
HA posted an article from the Atlantic that said the world knew Ukraine would win outright, Russia didn't have a chance, when in reality, intelligence organizations all over the world predicted Ukraine would fall in a week.

I just think some people here put too much faith in reporters and so called experts. Often these experts are revealed to be lying about their experience in the field.

I always ask people who trust the press to read an article about something they consider themselves an expert in and see how much in the piece is just flat out wrong, or "dumbed down" to such an extent that it is meaningless. These reporters have limited times to file stories and often go to press after speaking with only a couple of sources. Be wary in your reading and watching of news.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

04 Oct 2022 10:25 #16 by koobookie

FredHayek wrote: Agree. Some people want this bulletin board to be reduced to a clipboard. You post your article without comment and I will post a rebuttal article without comment. And often the articles are just opinion pieces.
I would rather hear the opinions of my neighbors than some reporter who studied the Ukraine war for one week and then writes a piece like he has it all figured out.

Fred, I tried that with Rick a couple weeks ago, just telling him my opinions. He got frustrated and left the thread.

I would rather have opinions backed up with facts and scientific papers, which is why I try to link to information rather than just say "Well, I heard..." Does that make sense?

04 Oct 2022 10:50 #17 by FredHayek
And I am just questioning your "facts". Just because it has a bye-line doesn't mean it is accurate.

A few weeks ago, CBS News had to retract a story about how little military aid was actually getting to Ukrainian troops in the field. Turned out their reporter was trusting Ukrainians who weren't experts, but just locals giving out their opinion. (Sound familiar?)

04 Oct 2022 10:52 #18 by koobookie
and just because one reporter got it wrong, does not mean all reporters get it wrong.

Who do you trust for your facts, Fred?

04 Oct 2022 12:34 #19 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic AMERIC'A FUTURE FORETOLD
HA posted an article from the Atlantic that said the world knew Ukraine would win outright, Russia didn't have a chance, when in reality, intelligence organizations all over the world predicted Ukraine would fall in a week.

THAT is because the world KNEW the tenacity of the people in Ukraine and how much they loved country, Intelligence sources did NOT TALK TO THE PEOPLE or they would have reported the opposite. LEARN THIS WELL....WE HAVE NO REAL EARS AND EYES,all the good,elites r gone.....the art of counter intelligence is a forgotten art. Happens in many fields...the "resources dry up" and then u r SOL.

04 Oct 2022 12:45 #20 by FredHayek

koobookie wrote: and just because one reporter got it wrong, does not mean all reporters get it wrong.

Who do you trust for your facts, Fred?

I get my information from a variety of sources, both Left and Right and let it settle. It also helps to wait a few days and see if more information changes the story or sometimes even contradicts the initial observations.

It concerns me when a person posting refuses to read any sources who they aren't aligned with politically.

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds