THE MAGIC number..65 or older, hear that "sucking" sound.doctors NOT available

05 Dec 2022 09:21 #1 by homeagain
www.medpagetoday.com/special-reports/exc...y_News_Update_active

hysicians across the country say they are facing a serious one-two punch of cuts which -- if Congress doesn't step in soon -- will mean a reduction of 8.47% in their claims for taking care of the nation's Medicare beneficiaries starting January 1.

"Things are different this year," Jack Resneck Jr., MD, president of the American Medical Association (AMA), told MedPage Today. To impose cuts at this time, "3 years into a pandemic ... and with burnout rates soaring from about 38% in 2020 to 63% in 2021, and one in five physicians saying they're going to retire or do something else in the next 2 years" is, he noted, "unconscionable."

Practices are facing healthcare staffing and medical supply shortages, inflation of 7% to 8%, and 10,000-plus patients becoming Medicare-eligible every day. There's a "tripledemic" anticipated this winter. On top of all that, Resneck said, the cuts are creating an "unprecedented challenge" and "a perfect storm" that he predicts will have "a devastating impact on seniors' health."

(I have see it here over the past year or two....been thru 2 in the last year...on my 3rd PCP. NEWSFLASH, he will probably go elsewhere also (even tho he is younger). Just 2 months ago the clinic (that has the lion;s share of Montrose patients) ALLOWED THE UNIMAGINABLE ....21 PATIENTS AND ONE DOCTOR......my pcp was the only doctor in the office that day...I DO NOT understand how the owner/manager/doctor of this large clinic could allow that....)

I 's just really dangerous and incredibly difficult. [Physicians] are faced with difficult choices about selling their practices," he added. And with many of the nation's physicians now over the age of 65, there aren't enough residency training positions to feed the pipeline to replace them, he said.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Dec 2022 17:43 #2 by ramage
Nothing that was unexpected. The article is poorly written, note that the AMA spokesman does not say that MD's are retiring due to the reduction in Medicare payments.( Note: Medicaid, private insurance companies follow the lead of the government).
" There's a "tripledemic" anticipated this winter. On top of all that, Resneck said, the cuts are creating an "unprecedented challenge" and "a perfect storm" that he predicts will have "a devastating impact on seniors' health." This comment tells nothing, other than a veiled threat, that, perhaps has some relation to the decrease in Medicare reimbursements.

"I have see it here over the past year or two....been thru 2 in the last year.." Your choice or did they leave or tell you that their practice was full? I need more information before I accept that 2 MD's left in the year that they accepted you as a patient.

05 Dec 2022 18:14 #3 by FredHayek
Expect to see more duties delegated to RN's and Physicians Assistants. Will the AMA lower requirements for new medical students? And ease intern programs?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

05 Dec 2022 20:45 - 05 Dec 2022 20:48 #4 by ramage
Fred,
The AMA does not set the number of medical students. Each school can set its own standards but if they are not up to snuff, they are not recognized by the AAMC. The US government controls the number of residencies by virtue of funding.
The question as always do you want a competent MD or someone who is a product of DIE( diversity, inclusion, equity)?

06 Dec 2022 07:48 #5 by homeagain
"I have see it here over the past year or two....been thru 2 in the last year.." Your choice or did they leave or tell you that their practice was full? I need more information before I accept that 2 MD's left in the year that they accepted you as a patient.

bolded..your query does not make sense...if I TOLD U I HAD A PCP,then they had accepted me as a patient on their case load.

NOW, 'the rest of the story"...1. that specific doctor was a chief medical officer at Montrose Memorial Hos.,he retired from that job and went to RIFLE,COLO. to work part time. (we happen to be casual friends BECAUSE of his stance on MAID,which we had extensive CONVERSATIONS about and he introduced me to ATUL Awagada books). He found commuting from Rifle to his home in Nucla too laborious and went to part time in Delta (1/2 hr away from Montrose). I found that piece of info thru thur the media and IMMEDIATELY asked if he was accepting NEW PATIENTS....(yes,he was).....I WAS WITH HIM FOR ABOUT 6 MONTHS...I keep asking him if he was going to retire anytime soon,he LAUGHED AND SAID I HAVE A YOUNGER WIFE,SHE WOULD NOT LET ME.......well, UNEXPECTEDLY a job came available in AVON,WORKING FOR HOSPICE FACILITY (remember he was pro MAID)...HE TOOK THE JOB,SELLING HIS HOUSE IN NUCLA AND MOVED TO Avon.

i HAD JUST LEFT CONCIERGE MEDICINE because she was a N. P. AND COULD NOT WRITE FOR
MAID....the doctor above could.

2. THAT UNEXPECTED DEPARTURE LEFT ME WITH OUT A PCP....I then went to the clinic already discuss(with the lion's share of Montrose patitents),they set me up with N. P. Lashay I really liked her
and she was more patient centered (as was the DOCTOR who left)....then one day about 5 months in,I get a call from their front desk....IT WAS WED., they said we need to see u tomorrow(Thurs), Lashay is leaving on Friday.. (THE IRONY OF THAT WAS...SHE WAS GOING TO THE CONCIERGE office i just left)

I asked the front desk why I was given 24 hours notice for a doctor exit....they said,because we thought we could find someone BEFORE your appt date. NOT).

I now have a p.a. Beard,who I like very much.....they reassigned and distributed Lashay patients....BEARD IS THE PHYSICIAN THAT WAS LEFT WITH 21 PATIENTS AND THE ONLY DOCTOR IN THE OFFICE.

how long before he gets feed up and leaves??????? Does that answer ALL OF YOUR QUESTIONS????

06 Dec 2022 12:29 #6 by ramage
HA,
I sympathize with your predicament.

I do not understand this:
I now have a p.a. Beard,who I like very much.....they reassigned and distributed Lashay patients....BEARD IS THE PHYSICIAN THAT WAS LEFT WITH 21 PATIENTS AND THE ONLY DOCTOR IN THE OFFICE.

Is Beard a P. A. or a M.D.?

Secondly, does your statement mean that he has only 21 patients in his practice? No M.D. can survive with a practice population of 21.

06 Dec 2022 14:36 #7 by homeagain
let me clarify...he is a P.A. ( I tend to call n.p. and p.a. doctor.....there is an ongoing debate/discussion within the med. community about DOCTORS viewing p.a. and n.p. as beneath them (ego thing...and both sectors r
at odds with the the designation.

BEARD is one relatively new P.A. within the whole of the clinic. The clinic has many hundreds of patients,as I stated,they have the lion's share of MONTROSE 'S population...so that specific day, BEARD was the only med professional in the office.and the case load that day was 21 patients. DR LOKEY is the owner of that clinic. He works there and is also the IT person for the hospital......the egregious error of lack of staffing was
astounding..

I am hoping I do not lose him also (because of someone's lack of being pro active.). He is patient centered home,young enough to be MORE progressive and he is just a nice guy. I do not waste his time,I bullet point the visits and we just "click".......it is so refreshing to be "heard" and have follow thru. I had a "phone visit"(not zoom) and I told him how sorry I was for the screw up he had to endure that day.

09 Dec 2022 07:01 #8 by homeagain
www.kevinmd.com/2022/11/medical-support-...-and-mistreated.html

Studies detail the “Great Resignation” impairing the health care industry–a new report published last month estimates that since 2020, one in five health care workers (including physicians, NPs/PAs, physical therapists, and social workers) have quit their jobs, and altogether 47 percent plan to leave their positions by 2025.

REMEMBER WHEN i POSTED ABOUT THIS GREAT FRONT DESK PERSON AT MY BACK DOCTOR OFFICE? WELL, two weeks ago I was there and she had just left several days prior......don't know why,but awhile back, she had a little sign on the front of the window......if u can be nothing else, please be KIND....I guess I should have seen the hand writing on the wall right then.

09 Dec 2022 07:11 #9 by Rick
I’m never interested in anecdotal experiences when it comes to problems like this, I always focus on the root issue as to why there is a problem in the first place.

In a country that has all the opportunities to succeed and prosper, why are we seeing this shortage of doctors and nurses in the first place? Does it have anything to do with policies from DC? That’s where all of our problems are generally born, so maybe it’s time to look into the way back machine and examine how we got here.

Anyone know the answer?

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

09 Dec 2022 08:16 #10 by homeagain
WELL, policies (from the gov.) regarding MEDICARE is one,then u have ALL the baby boomers,who r geriatric,aging into an already fubared system and DOCTORS WHO R BABY BOOMERS (geriatric) who r
weary of electronic records (less time with their patient) AND PRE-AUTHORIZATION fights with the insurance companies.....HUMANA IS FAMOUS FOR THAT. If u signed on for senior advantage plan, pre authorization is the can of worms and I would venture to say ...when u r asked about your plan, u will be turned down, IF it is senior advantage. One of the reason I have posted the specific information about this "latest and greatest plan".

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds