Rose Hospital Origins

29 May 2023 10:27 #1 by FredHayek
On this Memorial Day, the Denver Post has a front page article about the Major General the medical facility was named after. General Rose's unit was fighting the Germans and got caught behind the lines while trying to rescue his men. Surrounded by Panzers, he tried to give up but was shot by German troops. The highest ranking US officer killed in action in Europe during World War II.
Career military, he had joined during World War I, but declared himself Protestant because of the rampant antisemitism in America at the time. :flagwave:

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 May 2023 10:36 #2 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Rose Hospital Origins
The hospital was built after the war and President/General Eisenhower visited the place twice during construction to honor his former brother-in-arms.
The facility was also created to provide a place for Jewish doctors to practice in Denver and Colorado. Despite beating the Nazi's and liberating their death camps, antisemitism was still rampant throughout Colorado and America. Happy to say Rose is still going strong decades later. The local Jewish community and their allies have created a facility that serves both Jews And gentiles.
:gardening: :tulip:
Congratulations for your years of service to the community.

29 May 2023 14:01 #3 by ramage
Replied by ramage on topic Rose Hospital Origins
Fred,
Many thanks for remembering Gen. Rose and the hospital named for him. There are some inaccuracies report by the Denver Post. I had the opportunity to treat several patients that were instrumental in creating Rose Hospital., this is what I was told.
Rose began as a primarily as a maternity hospital and expanded from there. At the major hospitals in Denver, University Hospital, Denver General (now Denver Health,etc) St. Joseph's, St. Luke's/Presbyterian and St Anthony's, no one was, nor is, refused privileges because they were Jewish, or any other religion.
As I was related to me the Jewish matriarchy wanted their own hospital for personal and business reasons. To be sure, Rose did not, nor does, discriminate.
With regard to the fact that he or someone else, listed his religion as Protestant (very generic) on his U.S. Army papers, a common practice at the time, for Catholics from Slavic countries, "rampant anti-Catholicism" perhaps.
Finally, a facility to serve" both Jews and gentiles", all Denver area hospitals do that without need to mention it. Gentile means a non-Jewish person, note that the term Christian is not used.
As an aside, why is it that there are no Muslim hospitals though there is no paucity of Muslim physicians practicing in the Denver area?

05 Jun 2023 07:26 #4 by Mary Scott
Replied by Mary Scott on topic Rose Hospital Origins
My father was a Captain it the 3rd Armored Division under General Rose and his name is mentioned in a book of the battle of Aachen.

05 Jun 2023 09:30 #5 by FredHayek
Wow. Tomorrow is the 79th anniversary of D-Day. #thegreatestgeneration

05 Jun 2023 18:47 - 05 Jun 2023 18:49 #6 by ramage
Replied by ramage on topic Rose Hospital Origins
My father went in at Omaha Beach. After going thru the Battle of the Bulge and getting to Berlin, or its' environs, he told me that he had no desire to go back to Europe after getting home to th U.S.
He was a PFC/ Corporal slogging with a rifle.

06 Jun 2023 14:14 #7 by FredHayek
Amazing to see so many WWII veterans returning for the celebration of D-Day after 79 years. I don't plan to travel in my 80's and 90's.

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds