Let's look at a lesson from ANOTHER lens

28 Aug 2023 06:27 #1 by homeagain
www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/08/...&wpisrc=nl_headlines

When Gov. Ron DeSantis of Florida enforced mandates to control what local schools could teach about these subjects, I wanted to jog my dim memory of how Mr. Friedlander covered the same topics in 1968.

In one box he sent, there was a pamphlet whose black-and-white cover I’d never forgotten. I can even see myself sitting in the un-air-conditioned Southern California classroom on the fall morning when he dropped it on my desk. The title was: “Negro Views of America: The Legacy of Oppression.”

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 Aug 2023 08:19 #2 by FredHayek
More naive? The teaching of history has always been controlled. You just prefer the anti-American version that liberals in the NEA and the Department of Education want. The one that says Thomas Jefferson and George Washington were hypocrites and slavers and their actions in freeing the nation from Britain weren't as important as their crimes against humanity. Erase the founders from our history books, right?

Just like how the Left erased Aunt Jemina and the Washington Redskins.

I prefer the more balanced version that says all men are flawed in ways, plus morality has changed over time.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds