WWII and ILLEGALS CROSSING THE BORDER

28 Sep 2023 13:46 - 28 Sep 2023 13:47 #1 by ramage
This citation contains a video from "X", showing illegals using cardboard to shield themselves while crawling under it.

www.thegatewaypundit.com/2023/09/illegal...emselves-razor-wire/

My mind went back to my father, an infantryman, in Normandy, telling us boys about how they welded plow blades to tanks to cut a path through the then difficult obstacle of the French hedgerows. My father had some rudimentary welding skills and thus put down his rifle and picked up a welding torch.

My point being that there is no stopping the ingenuity of man and his ability to solve problems with whatever was on hand.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 Sep 2023 20:17 #2 by FredHayek
Can't disagree. The Wall is only able to discourage crossing. Even the Berlin Wall had people who crossed it. And East German guards could shoot "escapees".

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

28 Sep 2023 20:44 #3 by ramage
Have to add that one of his brothers (there were 4, all in the European Theater) was in the tank corps. I think he was a driver, because simply he knew how to drive. It was not common in 1942 for many recruits having the skill to drive.

29 Sep 2023 08:57 #4 by FredHayek
Yes, read a book called "Citizen Soldier" that claimed US troops were much more mechanically trained than their European opponents and allies because so many as teens had been shade tree mechanics fixing up old jalopies. Most of the army transport for the Germans, French, and Soviets were horse drawn wagons.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

29 Sep 2023 13:21 #5 by ramage
I can divulge this now, my dad and his brothers all learned to drive because their father, who did not, made Vodka at home and the boys were the deliverymen. I do not call him a bootlegger as his was a local business. Anything to make money during the depression.

I read the book some time ago, it and you are right. They were home grown mechanics consequently his ability to weld and fix trucks and jeeps.

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds