Unsustainable People, Places, and Things

01 Oct 2023 22:27 #1 by Rick
I was just thinking about stuff happening in this country that I believe to be unsustainable and thought it might make for an interesting discussion. I’ll start with a big one.

Illegal immigration
How can any country prosper and take care of all citizens if 100,000 + poor people are crossing into the country every month? How can that be sustainable?

Anyway, chime in on that or please list your top things that can’t go on forever.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 Oct 2023 09:20 #2 by FredHayek
Why doesn't the nation instead make controllable legal immigration easier? The best and brightest in the world want to immigrate to America, charge them a fee to get citizenship.

Also unsustainable? Every American owes $98,000 as their part of the federal debt! We are constantly spending 20% more than we take in. And now the debt is financed at 6% instead of one percent a few years ago.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

02 Oct 2023 10:59 #3 by homeagain
On a MACRO level....we have entered the SIXTH EXTINCTION, (RESEARCH SCIENTIFIC DATA).....it is a
valid statement.

02 Oct 2023 19:26 #4 by ramage
Rick,
Immigration jumps out, to be sure. Yet, the inexorable decline in the economy is a greater problem in my mind. They are tied together, yet those of us on fixed incomes are taking a hit via the purchasing power of the dollar that soon stories of the elderly eating dog food (even though that has gone up 40%)
will start to appear. The cost of heating in the Northeast will be particularly dramatic.

02 Oct 2023 19:31 #5 by FredHayek
Actually as fertility rates decline across the globe, it might be a glory age for flora and fauna around the world. The doomsayers that HA reads never want to admit that things are getting better. In fact last month new species are being discovered and previously species that were thought to be extinct are being seen again for the first time in decades.

Mix the lower birthrates and increased urbanization, and more rural land opens up as many animals increase their ranges. Bear populations are increasing in east coast states and mountain lions are being spotted again in these same states.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds